PDA

View Full Version : Where do people mount their EBC??

madaboutboost
02-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Hi all

Just in the process of installing my EBC (Thanks to Bernard's write-up (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?26996)) and while hacking away at things, wondered where people normally mount their controllers?
I've gone for the clock area of the dash (clock never worked properly anyway) and my EBC came with a boost gauges as well, which is on the A-Pillar.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/boostmad/IMAG1077.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/boostmad/IMAG1078.jpg

Wobble
02-01-2012, 01:19 AM
put mine there as well and looked spot on

wintertidenz
02-01-2012, 01:22 AM
You could always mount it under the steering wheel column - it's out of sight there but within fairly easy reach.

Another place (if it's small enough) could be in the ash tray (stealth look).

Wobble
02-01-2012, 01:40 AM
mine was in the coin tray before this , but when i used to have a play with it i forgot to shut the coin tray and kept smacking it when i got out the car .tiss why i moved it as i couldnt see the boost without taking my eyes off road aswell

low_vr4
02-01-2012, 02:28 AM
mines in the coin tray, dont really want it to be seen

Gly
02-01-2012, 02:43 AM
mines where the ashtray used to be.

dont find i use it, its always on the same boost setting

wintertidenz
02-01-2012, 03:50 AM
mines where the ashtray used to be.

dont find i use it, its always on the same boost setting

Is that setting "diff destroy"? :P

roryfromnz
02-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Yup ashtray. Nice and covert

Gly
02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Is that setting "diff destroy"? :P

yup :D

gotta build a stronger one sometime... when i ever i have spare cash

VR4Kaos
02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
mines in the coin tray out of sight out of mind i was told lol

madaboutboost
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Really happy with it in the clock area, looks like it should be there :) Just taken it out for a test run, all installed and it works a treat. Both settings on low for now running 7psi until I get my new turbos on and check a few other things...
Question: Does anyone get a splutter every now and then when they start to boost? It doesn't do it every time and it almost feels like a leak or something? It not high boost because I can see the gauge and it never goes over 7? I'm wondering if its a spark plug/s
I've also noticed a bit of damp around the front of my engine, think the cam cover seal is fubar and leaking down onto the front manifold a bit...
My list seems to be getting longer on jobs to do...lol

wintertidenz
02-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Check your plugs, when these cars are on higher boost they like slightly colder plugs. BKR7EIX's are the ones to use.

madaboutboost
02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah I thought plugs. I have some new ones already, just not installed them yet :) Personal choice I know but over the years modifying cars, running high boost as well, I've found you can't beat Bosch, they just last forever. NGK, don't like them, daft I know but I've only ever had bad experience with them and Bosch have never let me down :)

wintertidenz
02-01-2012, 11:35 PM
I tried the Bosch ones in my car and found that the fuel economy was great, but they just ran too hot and were dead within 10,000kms.

madaboutboost
03-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Yeah, you need to make sure you get the right plug that's for sure. I don't plan big boost and if you check out the Bosch catalogue you can choose the right plug code and heat rating that suits you. They may not be listed for use in your vehicle, which is why you go off the codes but as long as all the figures match up, size wise, you just then decide what heat rating you want. I went for 5's for the VR-4 just be sure. but I can easily and cheaply go for 6 or 7 should I need to :-) I also went platinum over iridium as well, again, I've spent lots before on 'big name' iridium plugs and yet always found the bosch plats and even the coppers better for overall performance and fuel economy.
Funny how you said that your Bosch plugs didn't last. That's probably the main reason I use them, they last me ages and don't 'drop off' like NGK do. But, its all personal preference I guess. No plug is ever going to give you massive gains over another :)

madaboutboost
03-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Interesting as well that you suggest BKR7EIX, just been looking (I had a feeling I'd seen a different NGK code before) and I am getting BKR6EIX as the correct plug for the VR-4 - but that is from a UK plug suppliers website, so I'm wondering if its octane related? STD gas in the UK is 95, in NZ its 91. Super is usually 98+ in the UK and some over here, super is only 95 and some 97-98?
Interesting though, if you are using BKR7EIX, this is actually a hotter plug than recommended? This is why I went for 5's on my car, one stage colder than the 6 recommended.
Anyone have more info on this?

For ref, this is the chart I use to choose plugs http://www.boschautoparts.com/Technical%20Resources/Spark%20Plugs/SuperPlus_DesignationCodes_10.pdf

Kenneth
03-01-2012, 01:32 AM
NGK go the other way with heat range. 7 is a colder plug than 6.

madaboutboost
03-01-2012, 01:38 AM
ah ha, so they do...lol

wintertidenz
03-01-2012, 02:15 AM
I ran the FR6DPP Bosch plugs in the Legnum instead of the 5's. It is possible I selected too hot a plug, but it was difficult to get a hold of the FR5DPP's.

My NGK ones I ordered from the US, and since my friend's mother lives in the US and was sending a parcel over, she just chucked them in the box for me. Saved a hell of a lot of money - I think I paid $55 for all 6 instead of $15-20 a piece.

madaboutboost
03-01-2012, 02:20 AM
I'll soon be able to tell you how they perform, just need to get myself a new inlet manifold gasket to change the back 3.
I bought these plugs from the UK (couldn't get them in NZ) and I paid £3 per plug ($6 NZ) with the postage to NZ, came to about $50, not bad for 6 Bosch plats :)