PDA

View Full Version : Decision time!!

DaveLee71
29-11-2004, 01:33 AM
OK, on Thursday I'm going to trade in my Scooby for a Legnum VR4 but I have the choice of two the same price.
So:
Both are silver and both are 1996 but do I go for: :rolleyes5 :rolleyes:

A) Manual Type-S, 55000 miles

or

B) Auto Type-S with 36000 miles

What is everyone's advice to me for some nice quick, enjoyable, troublefree motoring.

Both places are the same distance from my house but THEY are quite far apart.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers

Dave

Brind
29-11-2004, 02:21 AM
I'd choose the auto.

Spirit
29-11-2004, 08:27 AM
As they are the same price I would go for the much lower mileage auto too ;)

Kenneth
29-11-2004, 08:55 AM
well, because i like to be contraire i would go for the manual!

reason?
well, i have 2
one: i have had a few beers and I am somewhat "happy" :-D
two: I like manuals better than autos.

Basically personal preference... I would get the manual every time.

If you dont give a rats ar*e then go for the auto.
i didnt say that though... i'm manual all the way.

Roadrunner
29-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Just make sure they are both "Type S". Don't know about the 1996 models, but very few of the later manuals had AYC (Active Yaw Control) and that's one of the best things about the VR-4 ...

I'd go for the auto, 1) because I prefer them and 2) because it has lower mileage, assuming everything else is equal. But check the interiors - some are cloth, some leather; and check the service histories if they have them - always better to go with a car that is proven to have been looked after.

BraindG
29-11-2004, 11:00 AM
MANUAL! - then you can join the select vr4 club :lipsrseal theres only a few of us :laugh:

Polabear
29-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Just make sure they are both "Type S". Don't know about the 1996 models, but very few of the later manuals had AYC (Active Yaw Control) and that's one of the best things about the VR-4 ...

I'd go for the auto, 1) because I prefer them and 2) because it has lower mileage, assuming everything else is equal. But check the interiors - some are cloth, some leather; and check the service histories if they have them - always better to go with a car that is proven to have been looked after.

Mine is a manual 98 type-s with AYC but no TCL Brian, now while I love my manual box I came across an unknown new silver vr4 here in torquay yesterday, we were sat at traffic lights with me behind him, lights changed and he was gone, not a hope in hell of me getting the power down as well as his tip, I was a little miffed to say the least by being left by one of my own kind...... :( so with that in mind I would say go for the auto.

enigma
29-11-2004, 12:15 PM
If you know what you are doing in the tip you can get awesome launches with not even a chance of any wheelspin........with a manual I would say its a lot harder to get consistent launches!

Its not all about launching though, there is no doubt a manual will give you more driver involvement, but is this what you want in todays stop start traffic?

I would go for the Auto (and in fact I did) as you still get to play hooligan in tip mode, and although it may not be as pure as the manual it gives a more pleasurable day to day driving experience.

Roadrunner
29-11-2004, 12:59 PM
while I love my manual box I came across an unknown new silver vr4 here in torquay yesterday, we were sat at traffic lights with me behind him, lights changed and he was gone, not a hope in hell of me getting the power down as well as his tip
Even just getting to 60 involves one manual change from 1st to 2nd (with another into 3rd pretty soon after. Manual change takes around 0.5 seconds (even if you're really good ;) ) whereas the auto (or tip) will change in 0.1 seconds. That's another 0.4 seconds of acceleration which goes some way to offsetting the inherent loss in an automatic drivetrain.

Plus, as BDA says, it's a lot easier to get consistency with the auto. And I don't know of any manuals that have got sub-4sec 0-60 times :p or into the 12s for the standing ΒΌ :lipsrseal :-b :D

Trow
29-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Hmmmmm, I love my manual, the gearboxes on them are so nice - in fact it's the shortest most precise box I have ever owned!! manual everytime for me mate!!!! tho at the same time I have never driven the tip and alot of peeps have alot of good to say about it on this site... either way you are getting a great car!!!

Nick Mann
29-11-2004, 01:56 PM
They are both at the same garage, aren't they?!

I'd go for the manual. I have had the auto and its a very good box. But I like to be in charge of the clutch. I also have a feeling that the manual whilst being less consistent could well be faster.

Check the car very well. The garage has a less than brilliant reputation, although I think you will have nothing to worry about if you have your eyes wide open.

Dan_G
29-11-2004, 02:51 PM
I'd say both milages are pretty low for a 96 car (the auto very low). I'd compare the two cars like for like then go for the one thats in better overall condition...

In terms of power(because they are both pre98) the Auto will have 260ps and the manual will have 280ps. However some people argue there is no difference in the "drivable range"..........

but in terms of bragging rights. 280 certainly sounds more impressive. :p
and dont worry the manual will have AYC coz its a pre98 manual so I belive was fitted as standard.

Its down to personal preference in the end.... I had the opertunity to go for Auto's, but went for a manual. The main reason being that an "intelligent tiptronic semi auto box" sounds mighty expensive to fix when it goes pop.

BraindG
29-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Its not all about launching though, there is no doubt a manual will give you more driver involvement, but is this what you want in todays stop start traffic?

Hehe, thats something my grandad would say.

to use "1337 G33k Sp34k" - "Manual pwns Auto" :lipsrseal :$ :rolleyes5 :D

enigma
29-11-2004, 04:17 PM

Derek and I are yet to see the proof of this :p

Kenneth
29-11-2004, 08:05 PM
A well set up auto should own a manual in drag racing... A nice high stall converter and you could be boosting before you even start putting power to the tarmac.

how many race-cars are auto? a few (F1 and some Rally i think) use paddle shifters on the steering wheel, but I think they are a completly different thing to a hybrid such as the mitsi box.

With my galant, I didnt like the lag between hitting the shifter and then it actually shifting. I also didnt like not being able to aggressivly shift into 1st.
That lag made it impossible for me to predict the exact down shift so I could smooth out the shift. It was a big deal in the galant, because being so powerless you had to enter corners, bends etc at a high speed and try keep that speed.

In saying that, the car wasnt a VR4, so maybe its different.

Still would go manual every time though.

KiwiTT
29-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Think about how you have to drive in daily use. If it is stop-start, like most of us the Auto wins. However, if you are getting it for fun on the occasional day then get a manual.

Just check you are getting all the features you want. The VR-4 Type S Auto also has ASC/ABS as opposed to standard ABS.

zedy1
29-11-2004, 09:42 PM
MANUAL! - then you can join the select vr4 club :lipsrseal theres only a few of us :laugh:

mines a manual :-D

Kenneth
29-11-2004, 09:54 PM
M = Mens
A = :lipsrseal :arse:

Hehe *runs and hides*

Roadrunner
29-11-2004, 10:01 PM
:gun1: :gun2: :gun3: You may run, but you can't hide ... :p :-D

DaveLee71
30-11-2004, 01:10 AM
wow, thanks for the replies guys!!!
To be honest I think I'm probably going to go for the auto, one of the reasons being they have offered me a better deal.
So I'll let you all know on Thursday what happened.

Dave

mk112
30-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Of cause the manual one!

valmes
30-11-2004, 11:50 AM
If I had to choose... I would go for manual again!

Kieran
30-11-2004, 02:34 PM

No! Barry, yu r a t00l :stare: . Manual suxx0r. :noshake:

Had both a manual and an automatic Galant - Ph33r the INVECS! :-D :adore:

Oh-uh.... Back to lame talk now! :$ :$ :laugh:

Nick Mann
30-11-2004, 03:13 PM
The manual was advertised at 8 or 9k at first. They have already moved quite a bit on the price of that one! Probably why you'll get a better deal on the auto.

You'll enjoy either! Good luck!

BraindG
30-11-2004, 03:19 PM
No! Barry, yu r a t00l :stare: . Manual suxx0r. :noshake:

Had both a manual and an automatic Galant - Ph33r the INVECS! :-D :adore:

Oh-uh.... Back to lame talk now! :$ :$ :laugh:

Bleh - t3h sux0r r th33 :laugh: Manual r t3h r0x0r!

nick-f1
30-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Manual every time for me too ( mine is)! Sean? shame on you.... get outdragged by an auto? Oh dear :$ :lipsrseal .
Autos may change in 0. ? whatever, but I have watched every track vid posted on this forum, they're all autos and they all - without exception seem slow changing imo.
...........But having said all that autos are much better for town driving, but for hacking around the lanes/streets they have a nasty habit of changing up when you ease off for corners....... suppose thats the time for tip eh?

Simon
30-11-2004, 11:06 PM
having driven both in vr4 format i would say tip/auto for everyday driving......you can overtake/kick down very quickly compared to manuals....still smile now when i think about me, pete and polar all driving up from Swindon to Santa pod and Sean saying how quickly the autos pull away...there aren't many actions you have to make to get the car to change gear etc.in an auto..... but...if you are thinking of getting into track days then the manual will 1. change gear when YOU want to (even in tip' the computer will still stop you if the engine revs are too high etc...which is a good thing) 2.no worry about auto fluids overheating!!! 3. ....aid braking and this will save on your brakes and save an expensive brake upgrade.

general use = auto
track = manual
drag strip = auto.... see BDA and Derek
posing = manual......tisssshhhhhhhhh (dump valve).....Barrys can be heard several counties away!

i think ive confused your situation further :dozey: glad i was of assistence! :rolleyes5 ;)

mk112
30-11-2004, 11:14 PM
I think you can buy an auto Toyota if you just want a family use car.

DaveLee71
01-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Thanks again for all the advice.
I know for a fact I would break a Toyota if I had it as a family car after having an Impreza Turbo, need more room but still want the ooommmppphhh!!!!
Wanted to buy a VR4 before I got the Impreza but couldn't afford one then and to add insult to injury what was next to the Impreza when I went to pick it up but a nice VR4 estate, bummer!!
Never mind I've had 2 good years of fun motoring in the Impreza and made some good friends in the Scooby community who suprisingly don't mind me defecting to Mitsubishi!!
Role on Thursday, got the nervous excited thing going on at the moment.
Will keep you all posted.

Dave

KiwiTT
01-12-2004, 01:30 AM
.... Scooby community who suprisingly don't mind me defecting to Mitsubishi!! ...
Dave

I think they feel you are upgrading :)

Polabear
01-12-2004, 11:25 AM
manual......tisssshhhhhhhhh (dump valve).....Barrys can be heard several counties away!

Mine has actually made small children cry and dogs leap into the road, not to mention the bloke on his bicycle (that fell off), didn't mean to change up @ .9 bar as I went past him, honest officer..... :rolleyes:

enigma
01-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I think you will find that the Autos can dump with the best of 'em! Ask the little girl that cried after a display of noise at the Southern meet!

Autos rule, end of!

jalford
03-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Where's Dave with the update?

Guess he's too busy off enjoying the motor to be on the net. :-D

DaveLee71
03-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi all, didn't want to post up and jinx things until I had everything sorted but the Mrs has sorted out the money today to go with the deposit I left yesterday.
I have bought a nice dark purple VR4 estate from Charlesworths AKA The Auction Centre., right next to Donnington Park.
Really nice helpful people.
Just missed out on another purple one with nice BBS 17's, lowered etc, someones bought a nice car there!
Should hopefully get it in the next week or two, they are giving it a full service and cambelt change first plus there'sa couple of things that need doing.
So here's to VR4 ownership and can't wait to get the car!
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=132689694
Dave

Dan_G
03-12-2004, 09:43 PM
nice one!...... welcome to the club :-D

yeah I bought my Legnum from a guy that worked at the charsworth SVA centre as a private sale, he actually kept it in the SVA centre garage under a tarpolin.

Seemed like a really professional outfit too although I never saw the m ain dealership, and the owner Mr Charsworth is one of the chairmen of the BIMTA , so you can be assured the car wont be stolen :p so thats gotta be a good thing.

It would be nice to see some more pics when you get some......

oh yeah and a comparision with your impreza would be nice too hehe ;)
Dan

DaveLee71
04-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Some more pics of the car:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/pd385e95db940301e764bb006c8f2b5fa/f60832e1.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/p6b2a39d309789b57984350e4bf965edf/f60832e8.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/pf758bdd5fb61400d2ae712a3920394b2/f60832f0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/pd07033eb98171254ef9fb61e3b763717/f60832fc.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/pbe14f91b94741cf4ad50c3f6835c546b/f6083305.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/pb8316eea6e89a6bbcd2a7a0b8097838a/f608330a.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/p640d92022b882f8d58fae4c5c59b667c/f608330f.jpg
Just a few!!
De-badged for even more stealth!

Dave

simpsonm
04-12-2004, 05:11 PM
I have an auto and I like it, if ya have dumpty valve fitted it don't annoy ya on every gear change.

Only advantage of the manual is you get to dip the clutch and spool up the turbo when driving.