PDA

View Full Version : Some Super AYC servicing tips

Jesus-Ninja
08-01-2012, 07:05 PM
So, I came to do the fluid in the clutch packs side of the diff. I have a Super AYC (from an Evo 8, IIRC) which presents an issue with the ATF fill plug. The plug is obscured by the cross member, so the rear two mounting bolts have to come out to drop it the inch or so required. This isn't a big problem except that the driver's side bolt is a PITA to access. It can be done with a 22mm ratchet spanner, but when there's not much movement and it takes a while. The bigger issue is the 10mm steel bush which spaces the diff. That is a night mare to get in. So....

Here's the filler plug, fouled by the crossmember

And here's the right hand bolt that's tough to access.

So some body work modification is required. I put a piece of wood on the other side to protect the hoses. Before drilling, I whacked a centre punch through to get a reference point.

Access is now a doddle and removal takes seconds. Remember to tart the hole up with some paint to stop rust.

This is where the washer/bush goes.

A couple of welds and a piece of bar :) I did this the last time, and it made retrieval much easier as well as putting it back.

And that's it really. Given the regularity with which the AYC ATF needs to be done, it makes the hardest part of the job, if you have a Super AYC diff, a walk in the park :)

Jesus-Ninja
08-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh, it's also worth slapping a bit of gaffer tapw over the new hole to prevent ingress.

Anderz
14-01-2012, 09:10 PM
/Hijack
I modified the filler bolt before bolting the diff to the car. By doing that it is possible to remove filler bolt with diff in place:smart:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?23198-EVO-8-DIFF-fitted-amp-working&p=611993&viewfull=1#post611993