PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension arm

adaxo
08-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Hi all, is anybody know where in UK, pointed on picture below rear suspension arm, could be bought??, its perhaps the same across Galant/Legnum range or must be a vr4 specific?
It could be polybushed??

Yesterday I went to do a tracking and operator find out that is a play on both rear arms and say that will be pointless to set tracking, so I drive back home, went online, but struggle to find a replacement here in UK, so if anybody know where to look, please let me know. cheers

Nutter_John
08-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Camskill sell them Adam

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1403p12585/_MITSUBISHI_OE_GENUINE_PARTS_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNIN G_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Rear_Lower_Camber_Adjustment_Arm_-_Galant_and_Legnum_VR4_EC5A_EC5W

adaxo
08-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks John, dont know why I give up after quick look on stering part of they web/pan:inquisiti

I got play where the bushes are (not on ball joint side) and thinking about polybushed arms due to fact they are still originals (mean ball joint side) and, from my previous experience, they could last much longer than fakes offered by camskil.
:thinking:

Nutter_John
08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah seen a few that have gone at that end , not sure if the EVO polybush for that arm would fit or not - can measure one tomorrow and see if it';s the same size

adaxo
08-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah seen a few that have gone at that end , not sure if the EVO polybush for that arm would fit or not - can measure one tomorrow and see if it';s the same size

I can get polybushes from n/a Galant, I'm not sure if they will fit, any chance to compare arms from ECxx vs EAxx ??

Nutter_John
08-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Only got ec5x at the unit , so unless someone local as ones for a V6 they can measure

adaxo
08-01-2012, 09:13 PM
I got a mate here with EA Galant, its just hard to get together due to different working pattern and properly measure when in situ could be a pain.

anyway polubushes available here http://poliuretany.olkusz.pl/pl/mitsubishi-galant-tuleja-wahacza-tylnego-przy-piasciemocowanie-gorne-1szt.html

viniu88
08-01-2012, 10:29 PM
those tracking arms are cheaper if u get them from mitsi garage - 65quid each, and according to spec they aint same as n/a v6

Gly
09-01-2012, 07:45 AM
its a 4wd specific part,

and cannot be replaced by a poly bushing,

its more of a rose/ball joint, not only does it move up down, it moves left/right.

i could not find a aftermarket replacement when i needed one,
but was in a rush so didnt try very hard, and bought it from mitsi parts

also camskills description of the part is incorrect,
its a TOE CONTROL ARM.

Davezj
09-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Hi all, is anybody know where in UK, pointed on picture below rear suspension arm, could be bought??, its perhaps the same across Galant/Legnum range or must be a vr4 specific?
It could be polybushed??

Yesterday I went to do a tracking and operator find out that is a play on both rear arms and say that will be pointless to set tracking, so I drive back home, went online, but struggle to find a replacement here in UK, so if anybody know where to look, please let me know. cheers

Adam is the inner joint trashed or do you just think it is trashed?
these arms are designed to rotate forwands and backwards like Gly (carsten) says, in my old black VR4 the i could rotate the arm forwards and backwards with little resistance, but it did not flop about uncontrlably, i had no issue with my car.
this is how i have always checked mine. This is not a text book test just a gut feeling test. i am sure there is a proper test proceedure the the manual somewhere.

if when you try and rotate the arm forard and backwards and there is no resistance at all e.g. it could be clonking about when you drive over bumps, then it is probably trashed.
but if you still need a bit of force to move it and it stays in place what ever angle you leave it at, while rotating forwards and backwards then it is probably fine.

please correct me if i am wrong here or put up a copy of the correct test proceedure.

adaxo
09-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Dave, we find out a play on the inner bush(?) when we try to move wheel (of the ground) on 9:15, its move a few mill from side to side. Strange is that (IMO) both sides got exact the same play/Hmmm

not only does it move up down, it moves left/right.

Could you write any simple explanation of that why it's supposed to move left/right??please,
that's is sound a bit strange, its that movement don't fcuk up whole wheel alignment set up??

forget above, you mean by move left/right when you on the side of the car, not supposed to move in/out of the body, got this right now/haz

Davezj
09-01-2012, 11:39 PM
the arm will probably try to move slightly as you wobble wheel 9.15, as the rear wheel has passive steering and the act of wobbling the rear wheel try and replicate that steering.
as the rear suspension loads up, the rear of the rear wheel moves slightly in to the car so makeing the rear of the car steer round a corner better.
i think the rear toe control arm (which is the name of the arm in question) is at the rear of the rear wheel and when the end of the arm moves upwards it effectively shortens and pulls the rear of the rear wheel inwards.
but it would be beneficial for someone else to try this to confirm or bust this statement.
i would do it myself but i know i have a kcocking from my rear suspension so i would not be a good candidate to try this as i would not know if mine was giving a valid result.
if you follow that.

Nick Mann
09-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Adam - there shouldn't be any movement along the length of the shaft, afaik. The way I understand it is that the joint on the inner end is supposed to allow for the wheel to move up and down and forward and back, much like the more traditional ball joint on the outer end. That means that the arm does rotate along it's axis when it is in perfectly good condition.

If you can feel a clonking as you wobble the wheel at the 3 & 9 position, then that arm is certainly a good place to start looking for faults.

Davezj
09-01-2012, 11:45 PM
sorry i did mean movement in the rotation on the long axis.

Nick Mann
09-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Dave - I think you are right in what you say in post #12, but I'm not sure I would expect to get movement in the wheel. Certainly not a clonking movement.

Davezj
09-01-2012, 11:51 PM
no not clonking, but i would not be surprised if the arm did not movewhen you did the 9,3 movement.

adaxo
09-01-2012, 11:54 PM
That what I was expecting (help with steering by travel up/shorten, when loaded) to hear, know about similar susp setup on hondas. Funny enough that is no any knocks and by the look on them there in not any damage visible, perhaps we should try to move wheels when car is on the ground (susp under load) instead of on lifted up car (susp unloaded)?

Nick Mann
09-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Adam, how much is "a few mil" movement? if it is 2mm with a lot of force and no clonking then maybe you are just exploring the passive steering?

adaxo
10-01-2012, 12:12 AM
more like 5-8 mm on lifted wheel of the ground, not clonking and any noises during movement

Nick Mann
10-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I seriously doubt that is right.

adaxo
10-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I think, the best way is to take this off the car an then see what is what, anybody got mentioned above by Dave procedures for check this properly ??

Nick Mann
10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I have had an inner joint go on these arms before, but I could feel clonking when wobbling the wheel at 3 and 9. And I wouldn't have said the movement was as much as 5mm. Once the arm was off (Not too difficult - ball joint at outer and bolt at inner) the play on the inner joint was very obvious. The inner bolt controls the toe angle of the rear wheel, so mark it up before removing and you can put it back the same way. I'd still be tempted to have the toe checked after though!

adaxo
23-01-2012, 03:15 PM
those tracking arms are cheaper if u get them from mitsi garage - 65quid each, and according to spec they aint same as n/a v6

Just order a pair, yes you right 65 quid each + VAT, collection and fitting tomorrow (hope) /thankyou

stu
23-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Fitted mine on Saturday, only takes about 10 minutes a side. :thumbsup:

ianturbo
02-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I nearly bought some of these arms other year off Dave but as he has put in his post they do move when pulled front to back !
ian

Davezj
18-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Here is an ebay link to the correct part number even if it is from USA and list for an eclipse.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-OEM-00-05-Eclipse-Lower-Control-Arm-Rear-Rear-Arm-MR325256-/252008903278?hash=item3aace6b26e:g:Z~MAAOSwIgNXpe1 q

correct numbers are:-

rear right MR325256

rear left MR325255

Here is a listing on Viamoto.com
http://www.viamoto.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Rear+Lower+Camber+Arm+-+Mitsubishi+Legnum+VR4+EC5W+Galant+VR4+EC5A
£86 each