PDA

View Full Version : MMCS question

OZVR4
09-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

Have just picked up a 1997 Legnum VR4 today, just wondering if anybody can tell me if I replace the single din unit on the bottom of my screen with an aftermarket unit will it will affect the a/c operation in any way? It seems that both the screen and the single din unit are linked together as the single unit has all of the input seleections on it such as tv, cd tuner etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

OZVR4
09-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Oh and if it makes any difference my car has the touch screen with tv tuner etc

Nick Mann
09-01-2012, 11:45 PM
I can't answer for sure, but there are some who have removed MMCS and replaced it with the more normal climate control unit and seperate head unit. You need to change the dash that sits round it all to do it, but I understand that the climate control is plug and play - the connectors are identical between the climate control unit and the mmcs control unit. I'm not so sure about the stereo, but i'd suspect the same is true.

jjayokocha
10-01-2012, 01:16 AM
is it still possible to pick up an mmcs unit anywhere cheap?

OZVR4
10-01-2012, 02:40 AM
Im talking about leaving the existing climate control in place and going aftermarket with the head unit, will this affect the climate control in any way?

Thanks for the info

CANDEE
10-01-2012, 04:07 AM
Adam, changing the head unit will not affect the climate control at all. The disc running that is in the unit in the rear of the car. As per Nick's comment above, generally it easier to change to the std climate control as the mmcs set up can have issues. :)

OZVR4
10-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Cheers Jeremy

Just to note, my climate control is working fine but there is no disc in the unit mounted in the rear left of the boot?

Also by changing the climate control i would obviously lose the tv? The tv tuner is picking up sound but not displaying a picture?

And from what i can gather, changing the head unit wont allow me to select the tv input anymore?

Sorry for all the questions, i have a fair idea what im doing but just wanted to hear from people like yourself who have mucked around with this set up,

Thanks again mate

Gly
10-01-2012, 06:17 AM
jap tv is ntsc,

Australia is pal (i beleive), so thats why theres no picture,

dunno about Australia, but NZ is going HD on all broadcasting so it will rendered completely useless.

CANDEE
10-01-2012, 08:13 AM
By changing the headunit to an aftermarket one, you will loose the sound on the tv, rendering it useless...

I had issues with the mmcs not loading correctly(usually on cold mornings), therefore there was no access to the heater controls. :( The touchscreen was nice, but I eventually changed to traditional climate control, due to the issues. It was just a plug in job, with a few left over plugs. :)

OZVR4
10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Sweet,

My thoughts are now, replace the headunit with an aftermarket cd/mp3/usb/bluetooth player, render the tv useless and as mentioned analogue tv is dead in Aus just about anyway, if and when the mmcs stuffs up, obtain the basic version of the climate control and get the facia panel to suit.

Let me know your thoughts guys. Oh and from what I can see it appears that the factory amp is in the control box mounted in the boot and the speakers dont run off the headunit? Is that correct? Heaps of wires plugged into that particular harness....... If so I'll have to re-route speaker wire to each speaker thats all

I found the basic style climate control with a facia in the UK for $30GBP but it costs $160AUD to get it here!!!

CANDEE
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
There will be no external amp on the factory head unit... So just get an iso converter and plug into the plug from the back of the factory headunit and you are away. :)

There are some vr4's being wrecked in aus, just check out ozvr4.com. ;)

OZVR4
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Cheers Jeremy,

You have been a big help mate :)

CANDEE
10-01-2012, 10:27 AM
No worries. :) I had mmcs when i got my galant, so have been through the removal process. :P