PDA

View Full Version : Something broke

Colin Wiltshire
10-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Was listening to metalica on the way home, fairly loud, but not excessive. Then it just happend, what I thought was the left side of the car, the speakers stopped working, Playing around with fade and balance I found that the rear passenger side had muffled bass, but nothing else. The drivers rear had nothing. Both fronts ok.

So have the speakers died (which I guess is good, because I have spare set I was planning to put in) or a channel in the amp has gone? All fuse in amp look good.

Wobble
10-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Doubt its speakers , more likely to be amp fault or something has came lose from the amp. Is the amp running tears A-side fronts ?

Colin Wiltshire
11-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Is the amp running tears A-side fronts ?

What is this?

Amp is running all speakers, no sub yet.

Ghost_2008
11-01-2012, 09:31 PM
I assume you have an after market stereo, standard speakers and no sub..... unless you fitted an amp you would be running all speakers from the stereo...... I would expect the speaker cone has blown, does it sound "farty" when you can hear it?.....

In any case its probably easier to replace the speaker and rule that out first........

Rock on....

wintertidenz
11-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I would agree that you may have blown the speakers, or a wire has come off and shorted which throws the amp into protect.

Measure the resistance across each speaker for a start, each should be 4 ohms - if not, then pull the speaker out and check across the terminals on the speaker. If that's OK, then check that there are no shorts on the wiring.

Sounds like you are pulling the speakers out anyway, so you may as well check the wiring at the same time :P

Colin Wiltshire
12-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Don't have standard speakers, all have been changed including the tweeters. Fusion 6x9's in the rear, after market head unit. The amp runs all speakers. Now gonna change rear 6x9's to match the power rating to the fronts that I have changed not to long ago (perhaps that didn't help) and 2 new 1600w amps that I'm about to buy anyway, then I can have some subs back in.

Colin Wiltshire
16-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Well, speakers working again, while playing around in the boot , I found that the filter switch on the rears was on low, so flicked it back to centre, it works. Guess something hit it just right to move switch.