PDA

View Full Version : VR4 questions????

ritch_w
29-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Loadsa (stupid?) questions for you while i'm waiting to get my VR4;

Lowering Springs
Will the Eibachs from my V6 fit the VR4? I think it is Derek that has V6 springs on his legnum?
I looked at the suspension the last time i seen the car and look similar....

OilWhat engine oil should be used in the VR4? I assume fully synthetic - is this 0W 10 or 5W20???

Boost Guage
Does the VR4 have a boost guage? ( I cant remeber seeing one...) if not should i fit one? Are they easy to fit and how?

Boot
Does the VR4 boot have carpet lining the sides and have some trim on the underside of the boot lid? (mine hasn't)

Tuning
What are the basic tuning steps (after exhuast & filter) for the VR4 for a bit more BHP? (without going daft / ££££ / comprimising reliabilty)
What are the pro / cons with increasing boost?
I have read about using FCDs, Blitz thingys and APEXI wotsits - what are they and what do they do for performance etc etc???

:rolleyes5 :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

Roll on VR4 time!!!

BraindG
29-11-2004, 03:55 PM
once answered perhaps a case for the VR4 FAQ?

enigma
29-11-2004, 04:26 PM
I would see no issues with a direct transfer of the springs. Mine are for a "Galant" but work fine on the VR4!

Oil, fully synth, whatever you can get at the time! Its not in there long enough to worry about brand loyalty!!!

The VR4 has no boost gauge but you wont need one unles modding it (see below)

Dont know about carpet in the boot

As for tuning, I would leave it for a while - enjoy the power, then upgrade when you get used to it!

ritch_w
29-11-2004, 06:04 PM
I would see no issues with a direct transfer of the springs. Mine are for a "Galant" but work fine on the VR4!

As for tuning, I would leave it for a while - enjoy the power, then upgrade when you get used to it!

Cool - I'm not planing on doing anything to car immediately - i want to get used to car and running it (£££) for a while then i'll swap the springs.

same applies to tuning - i'm just curious as to what to do and the benefits / costs involved - as i will need to budget very carefully for mods thats why im looking into it now ;)

chris g
29-11-2004, 07:40 PM
From someone about to sell, as BDA says, get used to car , its characteristics and enjoy it

Then when you think of changes you have some idea what you want to change and why!

IMHO think about what you need, what you want and the best/safest way to improve car:-

Release its handling more before releasing power

Improve handling and braking before induction/exhaust/boost mods

For better street handling - stiffer and lower springs but not coilovers

Then go for better pads and see how braking improves

If really wanted/needed then go for ? National Racing ? discs - see if better

If you want/need even better brakes then go for 17 wheel/good 17 tyres

The choose big discs KAD/AP/Brembo

And then, if you really must the spending starts.........

To release more power have full s/s exhaust and decat if you want the poss trouble of refit cat whenever MoT due

My car passed first year but not second year - no idea why

So, if you can afford it I would get a sports cat - freeflowing to help turbo work but will control emissions

Get a panel filter for induction - do not change anything else

See how this works then you can decide if more drastic changes wanted/needed

If you go for HKS/Blitz or other induction kits you then start to worry about heat soak

I seriously doubt that even with these ltd changes that you will have used and fully controlled the power available, so no need to go for more power..........

Nick Mann
29-11-2004, 08:00 PM
You may not want to pu the eibachs on? The VR4 suspension setup is MUCH better than the V6. I can't compare the eibachs, but live with the standard for a while. The sale of the eibachs might fund somee other change!

Back box and de-cat will help the engine release power all the way to the red-line. With the standard items on the power tails off slightly after 6000 rpm.

Definitely think about the national racing/ferodo setup that everyone talks about. The brakes are a weak point - three or four very heavy stops on top of each other will see brake fade! Having said that, they cope very well with most driving. I only had bad brake fade once - on the Isle of Man TT circuit, coming down the mountain section. 3 figures down to relatively slow several times on the trot!

My list of mods when I eventually get the next one will be - exhaust, possibly filter, brakes. Then when money becomes available, wheels and a piggyback ecu.

Like BDA says - enjoy it for a while first!

ritch_w
30-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Are extra guages easy to install?

I quite fancy the idea of a boost gauge, Oil temp guage etc - reading the thread about oil temp / warming up / and cooling down the turbos etc - i think this would be quite prudent!!
any "how to's" on this sort of thing? would something like Keirans HKS Camp thingy do the same job?

as for mods - i think they are going to be very limited, heres what i would like to do;
additional guages
de-cat and stainless system (2.5" or 3"???)
Filter (have K&N panel filter already)
Eibachs (Have already)
additional cold air intake(s)?
increase boost - is this a good idea???
upgrade discs and pads once the current ones are shagged (pads just done)
17" Evo alloys - once the tyres are shagged
dump valve - are these worthwhile???

reality check!!!
run standard for a while - get used to power & handling etc
maybe change the springs after winter

this time next year i reckon i'll be lucky if i have the 17" wheels and a de-cat!!! :-D

what do you guys think? :D - oh and any down side tothese sort of mods???

Nick Mann
30-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Dump valve is pretty much sound only. Not seen a conclusive post about power or driveablility improvements. Just the tishhh sounds good!!

Boost raising can give issues, indeed several members have had. But there is a safe limit, so as long as you don't get too aggressive then it should be okay.

You're route is a good one! Plus leaving the boost controller/ecu upgrade for a few months gives you a chance to chat to people about it.

chris g
01-12-2004, 08:36 AM
I woud not bother with boost changes

Will you have used and tamed all the 280 bhp?

Prob not so why go for more partic on a budget when you then put yourself on a risky road to rebuild/new engine

Better handling and brakes first - put your money into that but you will choose your own path to having fun with YOUR VR-4 - we all do!

ritch_w
01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Yep - boost increase etc is well down the line (at least a year or so) and any issues of reliability will be a major decider - i have to put around 20K+ a year on this car and dont want to be putting any expensive components under undue stress

as said before this is a as much of an info gathering excercise to see what the options are / decide whats for me (if i can afford it!)
:D