PDA

View Full Version : Hello all! Questions from a newbie

Mac
06-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Hey everyone! Nice site here.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind helping me out, I'm new to VR4's.

I'm looking to buy an imported Japanese VR4, is there any way I can check the history to see if it's stolen?

Will Mitsubishi dealers service imports?

Any suggestions for insurance? I've seen a thread recommending Adrian Flux so far.

I'll be back with more as I think of them but any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PUDD
06-07-2003, 02:20 AM
I might be able to help with insurance m8.
I had a right game getting a decent quote.
Tesco was recommended to me but i found them to be over the top myself.
Adrian Flux was quite good but i found that private aircraft insurers were more generous
I eventually got my best quote from a company called LIFESURE,at least they bother to ring u back and discuss your options on how to keep the premium down and gave me full breakdown cover for £60 a year.
But u will see for yourself,all peeps circumstances are different m8 and imports should be cheaper to buy
Good luck:D

Spirit
06-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi Mac and welcome to the club

Can't help you with checking the Jap history.

With regards to the insurance, as Pudd says each person is different but Direct Line and Tesco's will both insure imported VR4's. If you have any mods then Adrian Flux is a good bet - I changed to them recently. There are a couple of threads regarding this in the VR4 Chat section so take a look there.

Mitsubishi will service imported VR-4's but the dealer needs to be Ralliart trained to have the right knowledge and tools and even then this does not always guarantee things. My local Mitsy dealer is listed as a Ralliart dealer but they have no clue about VR-4's - I have to drive 30 miles to the next nearest dealer. I would suggest you call your local dealer to check and if you have a couple near you call each to compare prices as they do vary a lot.

Pete

Mac
10-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the help so far. One more question:

Is a timing belt the same as a cam belt?

calum
10-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Yes. The timing belt turns the camshafts, which require to be 'timed', so that the fuel and air get in at the right time, the valves close at the right time, and open at the right time to let the exhaust gases out.

Calum

Pescha
10-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Hi Mac, welcome to our ever growing VR-4 family!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do :)

Cheers,
Pescha!

BraindG
11-07-2003, 07:54 AM
regarding the history..id advise you to use a reputable company, someone who has been up and running for many years, and know what they are doing. I recommend VBJ (http://www.vbjapan.com) they were NZ based, then moved over here to start importing cars.. They have been at it for many years now.. My car came with all history, and "birth certificate" and import docs..