PDA

View Full Version : possible standard bov failure?

Goreden
14-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi all, done a quick search but couldn't find an answer and was hoping someone can help me, i fitted one of NJ's ecu's to the leggie yesterday which has raised the boost (which is great) i drove for bout an hour yesterday with no problem, today i was driving and about an hour in to my journey i noticed a quiet pshhhhh coming from the front passenger side when i backed off the throttle, but when i put my foot down it maintains boost and the boost doesn't drop until i lift off again, i am right in thinking this pshhhh sound is the standard bov failing somehow or could it be something else

any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers in advance
Dennis

Nick Mann
14-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Just a quick Pshhhh? About 1/2 a second? If so it is probably the BOV doing exactly what it should.

Goreden
14-01-2012, 07:40 PM
yeah it is a quick pshhh, sounds like a vta bov but quiet, i didnt think the standard bov made a noise?

VOLK
14-01-2012, 08:24 PM
You've never heard your stock bov before? They definitely make noise, varies with boost and vacuum. Ranges from a quick tssshhh under light vacuum to an unmistakable TSHOOOOO. You can even get them to fluter which is kinda cool too. Gets much louder with aftermarket intercooler, piping and k&n panel or equivalent.

WOODY72
14-01-2012, 08:27 PM
There's your answer then Den. As long as there is no loss of power.

Goreden
14-01-2012, 08:30 PM
You've never heard your stock bov before? They definitely make noise, varies with boost and vacuum. Ranges from a quick tssshhh under light vacuum to an unmistakable TSHOOOOO. You can even get them to fluter which is kinda cool too. Gets much louder with aftermarket intercooler, piping and k&n panel or equivalent.

funny you should say that coz its got a aftermarket intercooler, just that ive never noticed it before now, but from what you guys are saying its nothing to worry about, thanks guys appreciate your help /thankyou:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Goreden
14-01-2012, 08:32 PM
There's your answer then Den. As long as there is no loss of power.

Definately no loss of power Graham mate, goes like a stabbed rat compared to before i fitted NJ's ECU and the intercooler

TAR
14-01-2012, 08:34 PM
The standard BOV is prone to leaking as it's not very robust however, if you are holding boost then it probably isn't that.

:happy:

VOLK
14-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Time to track down an Evo 8 MR metal valve maybe now you're beyond stock boost. Been meaning to do mine for ages too.

Goreden
14-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Time to track down an Evo 8 MR metal valve maybe now you're beyond stock boost. Been meaning to do mine for ages too.

yeah i think so too, sure it wouldn't hurt to uprate it

VOLK
14-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Plastic BOV...thanks for cheaping out on us, Mitsubishi!

swinks
14-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Apart from plastic nipple which can be easily broken, there is nothing wrong with stock dv. Have seen how it's made inside and it's rather well designed. Well, for someone who hate plastic outer shell because it's... plastic, that's no excuse, but you would be surprised that actually design of valve is much better that few well known aftermarket brands.
I've found quite cheap upgrade in Evo 4 - 8 dv's, about right to raised boost levels.

Nick Mann
15-01-2012, 02:17 PM
It might be you can hear it now because your boost pressure is raised. There will be more pressure, so more air and more sound when the bov activates. Recirculation is obviously a lot quiter than atmospheric but it still makes the noise - it's just confined to tubes.

Goreden
15-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the info and advice Nick mate, that reassures me that i haven't broken anything