PDA

View Full Version : Tick follow tock follow tick..

Kryton
17-01-2012, 05:26 PM
...follow tock. Just been watching clock watching for an item on ebay & bought my very first parts off there by bidding. Someone kept out bidding me but got in after clock watching with just approx 1 second to go :laugh: Shame the bits won't physically fit my car :(

WOODY72
17-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Wot are they then? :dizzy2:

Kryton
17-01-2012, 07:34 PM
To go with my lovely factory wheels (that I know are too small), full set of brembos, fronts & rears, with almost new drilled & grooved disks & blue stuff pads :) Almost finished my shopping.

Am I best get an evo slave cylinder whilst I'm at it or will mine be ok?

Humpty's Revenge
17-01-2012, 07:58 PM
...follow tock. Just been watching clock watching for an item on ebay & bought my very first parts off there by bidding. Someone kept out bidding me but got in after clock watching with just approx 1 second to go :laugh: Shame the bits won't physically fit my car :(

Chris that's called being bid up bud!

Never ever bid on an auction until the last few seconds, reason is you never show your hand in poker until you know you have it.

If you don't win hey never mind there be another one along soon dude.

Rule of thumb, never bid yourself up & never get hooked in to a bidding war it really is not worth it.

Kryton
17-01-2012, 08:01 PM
There were 3 others bidding but oh well, I'm still happy & far less than what was willing to pay, so hopefully everyone is happy

666damned
17-01-2012, 08:41 PM
always use pennies in your bid as well...............won many an item by a couple of pence over their bid

Kryton
17-01-2012, 08:48 PM
I tried that but for some reason wouldnt let me. Probably operator error. I will try it next time & hopefully have more joy

Confused
17-01-2012, 09:00 PM
My rules of eBay:

NEVER bid until ~5-8 seconds remaining.
Place ONE bid only.
Pick your maximum price (remember the cost of postage!!), don't go one penny more.
Don't use round numbers - if you want to pay £50 - so will others, try something like £50.37 or another odd amount.
Have a second window/tab open with your maximum bid ready to hit "Submit", whilst refreshing the first window for accurate timing.
When you actually pay for it, log in via QuidCo (http://www.quidco.com/user/141215/) or another alternative to get back a %age of the fees the seller pays as cashback!

I've only "missed" a couple of items doing it this way - but by picking one price, and making one bid, in my mind, anyone else has paid too much for it! ;) In the heat of the moment you can easily throw your original budget out of the window and paying much more than you originally wanted to, making it not quite the bargain you first thought it would be!

(Note: I know that point 4 contradicts point 3, maybe I should I should put them the other way round?? ;))

Kryton
17-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Cool, cheers for the info peeps. I was happy to go to £400 for these bits but got the whole lot for £320 which I don't think is too bad. What's peoples thoughts on the slave cylinder?

swinks
17-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Cool, cheers for the info peeps. I was happy to go to £400 for these bits but got the whole lot for £320 which I don't think is too bad. What's peoples thoughts on the slave cylinder?

Stock one should cope.

swinks
17-01-2012, 11:11 PM
My rules of eBay:

NEVER bid until ~5-8 seconds remaining.
Place ONE bid only.
Pick your maximum price (remember the cost of postage!!), don't go one penny more.
Don't use round numbers - if you want to pay £50 - so will others, try something like £50.37 or another odd amount.
Have a second window/tab open with your maximum bid ready to hit "Submit", whilst refreshing the first window for accurate timing.
When you actually pay for it, log in via QuidCo (http://www.quidco.com/user/141215/) or another alternative to get back a %age of the fees the seller pays as cashback!

That's my rules as well :), having approx 2000 feedback score now ;)

Kryton
17-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Stock one should cope.

Ok cool. So is it worth upgrading if I come across one or not worth bothering?

swinks
17-01-2012, 11:41 PM
It's not a p&p job, push rod has different length, so needs to be adjusted. Anyway for good money worth to give a try otherwise not worth a hassle.

Kryton
17-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Ok I will spent it on some wheels instead so I can actually fit them. Thanks for the info :)

Kryton
02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm at it again. This time with more knowledge. Doesn't look like its going to meet the reserve though :( Longest 20 minutes ever...

horndog
02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Doesn't look like its going to meet the reserve though

Even if you are the only bidder - as long as you offer more than the reserve, at the end of the auction you will win at the reserve price.

eg, Item opening bid 99p reserve of £100, your max bid £300 (and the only bid) then at the end of the auction, max bid is 99p but you will win for £100

elnevio
02-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Close, the first maximum bid that goes over the reserve is then set as the the highest bid, at the reserve. So in the same example, bidding £300 on a 99p start item with a £100 reserve, will show the bid as being £100.

Kryton
02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah the trouble is the reserve is not met & I have no idea whether the buyer has set a realistic one or not. Suppose I will have to email at the end if I have no joy

Humpty's Revenge
02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah the trouble is the reserve is not met & I have no idea whether the buyer has set a realistic one or not. Suppose I will have to email at the end if I have no joy

Just put in what you feel you wanna pay?

Kryton
02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
But I have no self control /haz

Kryton
02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Just got outbid & lost :bigcry: Oh well, more money for :5shots:

Humpty's Revenge
02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Just got outbid & lost :bigcry: Oh well, more money for :5shots:

What you loose Chris?

Kryton
02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Set of alloys. I need some urgently as my brakes need changing & ive got a full set of brembos to put on. I refuse to change the stock ones for a few miles use. Think I will have to settle for a different design

WOODY72
02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Lay off the drink then! I'm the same, dont go on ebay under the influence. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Kryton
02-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Interesting theory but.... I would need to stop coming on here aswell. Bored & drunk whilst shopping is bad. I blame mobile data though cos before at least I could go to the pub, get drunk & have a reasonably cheap night. Now you can't get a decent vodka for under £7 & shopping aswell. Not good but who cares, ya only live once & I'll drink to that

WOODY72
03-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Yep, and me, just gonna take a nice brandy to bed. :runkest:

Kryton
03-02-2012, 12:11 AM
/haz nicely done. I'm on the snow queen at the mo