PDA

View Full Version : laguna starting problems

Danzul
19-01-2012, 10:42 AM
hi folks, just a quick one to see if any one has ever had problems with a 97 laguna not starting?
if i turn the key all lights come on and i can hear the fuel pump working, but the starter motor is not doing any thing.
i checked the bettery and the alternater all are working fine.
if i leave the car in gear and rock it i can then get it to start on the key,
due to this i assumed the starter motor was dead, but having replaced that the problem is still there.
it is an intermittant fault and i am stuck now:(

any ideas appreicieated!

MAny thanks,
Dan.

elnevio
19-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Relay/fuse?

Humpty's Revenge
19-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Starter motor teeth or ring gear on fly wheel worn, hence catching on each other hence not being able to turn hence rocking action freeing said parts.

Hence the fly wheel will nearly always rest in the same place hence the compression of engine & stroke.

That's my 2 pence worth anyways............

Hence my answer

Not sent from any HTC or samsung device what so ever.

foxdie
19-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Just to add to this, it could also be the contacts / stators on the starter motor being worn out and not conducting until it gets to a good piece of copper.

Edit: Just noticed you've replaced the starter motor as well, ignore this :)

mike74
19-01-2012, 01:33 PM
dodgy immobiliser maybe?

Wodjno
19-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Ignition switch or imobiliser? Is the starter motor even clicking when u turn the key ?
Have you checked Ignition relay?

miller
19-01-2012, 02:23 PM
immobiliser.

Have you a second keyfob? Try it with that? may need recoding/new battery

Danzul
19-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Starter motor teeth or ring gear on fly wheel worn, hence catching on each other hence not being able to turn hence rocking action freeing said parts.

Hence the fly wheel will nearly always rest in the same place hence the compression of engine & stroke.

That's my 2 pence worth anyways............

Hence my answer

Not sent from any HTC or samsung device what so ever.

would this still the the case if the fault is onjly intermittant?

mike74
dodgy immobiliser maybe?

surely if it was the imobiliser at fault the fuel pump would not work when turning the key, (ill see if there is a second key and try that)

Wodjno
Ignition switch or imobiliser? Is the starter motor even clicking when u turn the key ?
Have you checked Ignition relay?

i can hear the starter motor click then whirr for a few moments which suggests to me it works but is not engaging with the flywheel? which leads me to the same thinking that PSBarham and Stevevr4ish have.

also to add is the fact that the startermotor is second hand and could also be suffering the same fault by chance, so that may be getting sent back.

Humpty's Revenge
19-01-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that the fly wheel can only stop in either 2 or 4 places, so lets say it's twice then you have a 50/50 chance if it stops in the same place where the ring gear is worn.

If it's 4 places then you have got 1 in 4 chances it will stop in that one place.

But it might only just stop in the dodgy area once a day maybe?

If there is an inspection plate that can be removed around the bell housing which is the same side of the starter motor engine then remove & turn the engine over by hand.

But turn it clockwise or you can undo the bottom pulley wheel.

Failing all that just remove starter & turn it over by hand with a spanner or socket & keep an eye open for worn/shiny teeth but again this must be the same side of the start motor.

Just to ad when removing the starter all the teeth should be straight to the end with no bits missing.

Danzul
19-01-2012, 04:08 PM
will do that over the weekend then! should narrow it down,
thanks very much!

Davezj
20-01-2012, 02:49 PM
if it is not a teeth issue on the flywheel/starter motor (eg you have lost a tooth or 2 off the fly wheel) then i would suggest it is the solenoid on the starter motor at fault, it is the solenoid that pushes the starter motor gear towards the flywheel gear theeth, if that is not operating correctly then the starter motor will spin and you will just hear a motor wizzing round sound.
but the solenoid usually comes with the starter motor and you have replaced that, but it could be dodgy wiring to the solenoid, worth a look.

MarkSanne
20-01-2012, 06:51 PM
The problem is it's a Renault! Sorry, just couldn't help it. Might be the crankshaft sensor, I've read that's a common problem on Laguna's.

Humpty's Revenge
20-01-2012, 06:57 PM
The problem is it's a Renault! Sorry, just couldn't help it. Might be the crankshaft sensor, I've read that's a common problem on Laguna's.

sacrebleu