PDA

View Full Version : Where Should I Stick It !!!

HJM
01-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Ok - don't be rude :lipsrseal

Where is the best place to fix my nice new shiny red fire extinguisher (1Kg Kidde General Purpose - cheap and highly rated in the car mags recently) - obviously in one of the front floor wells ?!!?

Are there any areas where a couple of self-tappers will cause damage ????????? :rolleyes5

Pros and Cons - please.............. :-D

Ta Heath

enigma
01-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Stick it in the bin and if it catches fire let it burn!

:flamer1:

HJM
01-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Stick it in the bin and if it catches fire let it burn!

:flamer1:

If you know something the experts don't - then please qualify :)

enigma
01-12-2004, 07:12 PM
If you are going to have a fire I dont think the small fire extinguisher will help, by the time you have realised it is blazing your best bet is to get out and run like hell!

I mean, the choice is fumble around trying to release the extinguisher and risk burning or run like buggery!

Having been in a car that caught fire I know what I would do! The car I was in had nothing in it and it still went woof! A car with a full interior would almost certainly overwhelm a small extinguisher quickly!

For peace of mind by all means have one, but the type of incident you are likely to have

get out, get the fire brigade out and stay out

:rolleyes5

HJM
01-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Agree with everything you say - they are purely meant for immediate intervention. No point in trying to be a hero or plain dumb - can always live another day to drive another VR4 :-D

adam_shaw
01-12-2004, 09:28 PM
I´ve always fitted mine in the boot, with the holder attached to one of the little swing up bins on the left or right side of the boot.

Keeps it out of the way. My main reason for having one is I have to with the continental driving.

Hey ho,

Can´t type on this ****ty kiosk keyboard any more :topic:

nick-f1
01-12-2004, 09:28 PM
If you are going to have a fire I dont think the small fire extinguisher will help, by the time you have realised it is blazing your best bet is to get out and run like hell!

I mean, the choice is fumble around trying to release the extinguisher and risk burning or run like buggery!

Having been in a car that caught fire I know what I would do! The car I was in had nothing in it and it still went woof! A car with a full interior would almost certainly overwhelm a small extinguisher quickly!

For peace of mind by all means have one, but the type of incident you are likely to have

get out, get the fire brigade out and stay out

:rolleyes5

I agree too Dave , but I have seen 2 incidents where cars had an underbonnet fire and a passing driver with an extinguisher saved the day, by cracking open bonnet slightly and letting rip! So I think it pays to carry one imo.

Jimbo
01-12-2004, 09:57 PM
I agree too Dave , but I have seen 2 incidents where cars had an underbonnet fire and a passing driver with an extinguisher saved the day, by cracking open bonnet slightly and letting rip! So I think it pays to carry one imo.

Yeah, that's the reason I carry one too Nick, not sure it's the ideal thing for inside the cabin like Dave says, but underbonnet fires are my motivation for carrying it.

It's only a small one, but it fits quite snuggly in the gap in the middle of the spacesaver wheel in the boot.....along with a pesky warning triangle and a first aid kit. Nice little kit actually.....I was given it with an old company car I used to have and "forgot" to give it back when I got a new job :lipsrseal

Simon
03-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Pray you dont catch fire just after visiting the supermarket! :laugh: ...."hold on a minute....ive only got 10 bags of shopping and six litres of rola cola to get out of the boot"!!!! :D ;) :$

Jimbo
03-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Pray you dont catch fire just after visiting the supermarket! :laugh: ...."hold on a minute....ive only got 10 bags of shopping and six litres of rola cola to get out of the boot"!!!! :D ;) :$

Wouldn't catch me with 100 litres of Rola Cola in my boot :laugh: "why do mum's buy cr@p pop?"

Polabear
03-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Ok - don't be rude :lipsrseal

Where is the best place to fix my nice new shiny red fire extinguisher (1Kg Kidde General Purpose - cheap and highly rated in the car mags recently) - obviously in one of the front floor wells ?!!?

Are there any areas where a couple of self-tappers will cause damage ????????? :rolleyes5

Pros and Cons - please.............. :-D

Ta Heath

Ok,
After spending many years offshore and doing many survival and firefighting courses, the general opinion of all the professional fire training staff was that D/P car extinguishers were a waste of time and space, nice idea and they give a certain amount of false personal security....BUT.... unless you are prepared to take it out and shake it for a indeterminate amount of time at least once a week to stop the powder congealing in the bottom then they are just added ballast, I have had to tackle many such fires in the course of my career and we tested these in real life situations ie underbonnet electrical/fuel fires, and unless you are VERY lucky they are worse than usless...sorry H&J just my humble experience..... :sad3:

nick-f1
03-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Ok,
After spending many years offshore and doing many survival and firefighting courses, the general opinion of all the professional fire training staff was that D/P car extinguishers were a waste of time and space, nice idea and they give a certain amount of false personal security....BUT.... unless you are prepared to take it out and shake it for a indeterminate amount of time at least once a week to stop the powder congealing in the bottom then they are just added ballast, I have had to tackle many such fires in the course of my career and we tested these in real life situations ie underbonnet electrical/fuel fires, and unless you are VERY lucky they are worse than usless...sorry H&J just my humble experience..... :sad3:

Yeah Sean maybe, but thats a bit like saying..... dont bother touching up those rust spots cos your car will rust out whatever you do.
Like all situations if you treat the problem early enough.....................

The Fire Brigade now "officially" tell you not to tackle chip pan fires with a damp cloth anymore .. call the brigade instead! But friends of mine whom are fire fighters tell me thats more to do with politics and RoSPA than actually being sound advice.

You telling me you.d stand and watch your legnum
burn than try to nip it in the bud with £20 extinguisher? :sad3:
Even if it was p**ing in the wind?
Not me!

No offence mate.