PDA

View Full Version : Clutch strength

adaxo
23-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi all, got question for you wise men (and women) here.

Clutches seems to been rated for such amount of torque and HP, question is, if the clutch is designed for EVO to cope (lets say) 300 HP and 400 NM is not matter if it will fit to Galant/Legnum which is obviously heavier so clutch had more work/its under more pressure to move car than a lot lighter EVO, I mean, is the same clutch ratios applicable regardless of car actual weight, is that make any difference or not at all ???

foxdie
23-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi Adam,

It doesn't matter how heavy the car is, the engine can only supply a particular amount of torque and the clutch can only transfer what it's rated to.

What you will find is you'll have to slip the clutch more to get a heavier car moving which may wear the clutch out faster, but once you're moving and the clutch is fully engaged it's down to the engines torque output and the clutches rating.

The slipping clutch wear would naturally be more pronounced in mountainous / inner city driving conditions.

Nick Mann
23-01-2012, 04:40 PM
I think how you drive it makes much more difference to the clutch you need than how heavy the car is. The VR4 is not massively heavier than the Evo - only a few hundred kilos. If you have, say, 350 lb/ft and the clutch is rated to 400 lb/ft and you don't really drive hard, then it will last a long time. If you go on track and shift fast then it won't last as long. If you drag race it won't last very long at all.

adaxo
23-01-2012, 05:07 PM
That whole thing pop in to my head as a common sense, lets go extreme, clutch is (for few moments) the only thing which transfer power from the engine to the running gear and eventually on the road, so lets say move 1000 kg or 2000 kg from stand still must made (the same spec rated) clutch working under A LOT more pressure.

Asking because I'm on the market for some good normal spec clutch (fed up with that bloody 4 puk ****e), but don't want to change that every year, hence my through to pick the good one, means rated for about 300 hp for vr4, but it seems that we got more much chances to get evo ones.

Anyway that will do ?? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180639370828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3236wt_901