PDA

View Full Version : Possible to fit HID headlight kit?

karbonology
26-01-2012, 01:16 PM
This has no doubt been asked, but is it possible to convert to HID's in the headlights?

Only asking as they headlights are plastic, and I thought HID's were a no-no.

adaxo
26-01-2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?38558-Bi-xenon-project

Confused
26-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Not recommended with the standard reflectors.

Ideally you need some projectors. Either home-made like I've done, or getting someone like swinks to make them for you.

Note though, that with new MOT regulations, even if you have them in projectors, you will still require auto-levelling and cleaning - which is basically impossible to retrofit!

Therefore... my HIDs will be coming out at MOT time for standard bulbs... but with the projectors, even standard bulbs are MUCH better than the original headlight reflectors.

Davezj
26-01-2012, 02:23 PM
as adam and garry have posted up yes it is possible, but the MOT laws are changing this year and HID kits that don't include headlight washer will be a fail. and we don't have headlight washer on VR4.
it would not be difficult to fit but is it really work it, the auto leveling would be an issue, you can get sepectable leveling via a switch like the UK spec light have.
there is a thread on hear about it.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?60602-New-MOT-regulations-you-are-not-going-to-like!&highlight=mot+hid

adaxo
26-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Therefore... my HIDs will be coming out at MOT time for standard bulbs... but with the projectors, even standard bulbs are MUCH better than the original headlight reflectors.

So do you reckon that fitting projectors with normal bulbs will keep things legal??, Im toying with that whole HID/xenons idea for long time but after a chat with bloke in car parts shop, he said that by that new rules for 'illegal' light conversions cops are able to give up to 5000£ fine on the spot, so I decide to drop the idea of hids, but still will tryin to fit some nice projector lens and standard bulbs (if its legal of course)

Confused
26-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Well, technically you're not allowed to change anything with regards to headlights etc once they've been built to the various standards they're built to.

However - if you do it right, you get them properly aligned and they "just work", then I can't see why you'd encounter any issues.

By getting some nice projectors, and some half-decent standard halogen bulbs, and running separate, fused, higher-capacity wiring direct from the battery to the bulbs (utilising a relay, with the coil plugged into the existing wiring to switch in your new wiring) - you can greatly improve both your light output and light throw.

In fact - even just wiring up your lights in a better way, will improve your headlights. Bulbs give out their rated output at 13.8v - (or some even at ~14.4v!) - but you won't always have that voltage delivered to them - especially as the power for them goes through quite a long length of very small thickness wiring, introducing lots of voltage drop.

A 5% drop in voltage can cause a 20% drop in light output!!

Pugme
26-01-2012, 09:44 PM
im driving around with HID's and my headlights tinted black, and iv not encountered any problems with the poice (yet) lol

Goreden
26-01-2012, 09:48 PM
i also have HID's fitted on mine and seen plenty of police but haven't even been looked at let alone stopped :bobby2:

Davezj
26-01-2012, 10:13 PM
What you are forgetting is the MOT tester is being paid to check headlights as part of there job, and to a British standard set of testing rules. So the will pick you up on this issues.
However if you are running cheap bulb only replacement HID kits then there is nothing to stop you changing them back to standard bulb before the MOT. Then change them back to HID after the test.
Apart from if you do get stopped by the police they are going to know you had an MOT 3 weeks ago and you did not pass you test with HID fitted so you have changed them recently and I suppose they would not be happy with you.