PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel judder under load

paulg23
01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Feels like an unbalanced tyre so had it checked and rebalanced... still judders. Doesn't start 'till about 70 mph and goes away as soon as I lift off. Comes back as soon as I put my foot on the throttle again. Don't have to accelerate hard. Assume it's probably a CV joint. Any ideas out there?

elnevio
01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Almost certainly!

The inside of the cups (if you can see it under the car, they are the green things) get worn. They can be swapped over with each other, as the wear points are then in a different place. Practically guarantees that you will be rid of the 70+ wobble!

I have found though that it returned (on a much less noticeable scale) when you are decelerating at similar speeds. No problem with cruising at that speed though, as you are applying a bit of power.

paulg23
01-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that. Job for the weekend then. Do the green cups just pull of once the drive shafts are out?

Nick Mann
01-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Yep. There is a clip type affair holding the rubber boot onto the green cup. Just undo the clip, slide the boot of the cup and it will fall off in your hand. And as Nev said, swapping them is a pretty good cure. Much cheaper than buying a new inner joint at any rate!

http://camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1401p62104/_MITSUBISHI_OE_GENUINE_PARTS_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNIN G_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Inner_CV_Joint_Kit_RH_-_MR336597_Mitsubishi_Legnum_VR4_
And the left hand side is slightly more.... :inquisiti

paulg23
01-02-2012, 10:46 PM
http://camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1401p62104/_MITSUBISHI_OE_GENUINE_PARTS_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNIN G_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Inner_CV_Joint_Kit_RH_-_MR336597_Mitsubishi_Legnum_VR4_
And the left hand side is slightly more.... :inquisiti

Bloody hell!! Not cheap are they? :stars:

paulg23
14-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Had a go at this at the weekend. Couldn't get the green cups off the diff' :sad3:. Tried for about 20 mins by which time I couldn't feel my hands so put it all back together. /help.

Davezj
14-02-2012, 02:37 PM
you need to get a pry bar and block of wood against the gear box and transfer case and give them a short sharp pry and they will pop out.
get the pry bar on the back of the green cup and the wood against the gearbox then pry bar against the wooden block so you don't damage the gear box. you might find the pry bar slides off the green cup but you just need to locate the pry bar correctly and it will work and you don't need that much force either.