PDA

View Full Version : VR4-S help!!

Zeke
04-12-2004, 02:46 AM
Just took delivery of my '97 VR4 Type S. This is my first VR4... can anyone help out a newb?

First problem: red AYC light is ALWAYS on at the lower right when the car is started. From what i've gathered on this forum, this is bad. :sad3:
Please tell how I can narrow the problem down? I've replaced the DOA stock battery so far.
Someone mentioned filling AYC fluids in the trunk with power steering fluid, but I can't find where it is in the trunk!
If that doesn't work should I change oil, and the other AYC fluid under the car?

My other problem is ... the brakes are wasted, need to depress brak e pedal hard and car shudders at heavy braking. What would you guys recommend for a rotor/pad package?
There is also significant outer tire wear on both rear tires (not the front).. what could this be caused by?

please school me!
z

Zeke
04-12-2004, 02:47 AM
Also, where is the AYC fuse under the hood? Maybe that could be a problem.. Couldn't tell anything apart in the fuse box.

Kenneth
04-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Red AYC light means your AYC is not operating.
It may or may not be bad. sure, it could be something like a fuse but then could be the hydraulic pump or something more expensive. you will probably be ok to drive it, but you wont get any of the benefits of AYC.

Your brakes are obviously warped. go get the rotors checked, you might be able to get away with having them machined. Failing that, someone here will no doubt tell you what they have found to be good pad/rotor combos. Im still using stock at this time

I got good outer tyre wear on the rear of my galant. I managed it with a reasonable amount of negative camber too. mostly on one side, which was the side that loaded up the most when i was sliding around corners on the way to work. :-D

By the looks of what you have written, I would say your VR4 has been royally thrashed.
Because of that, I do not believe your AYC problem is going to be something nice and cheap like a fuse.

Zeke
04-12-2004, 06:13 AM
unfortunately all signs point to yes.

please someone provide s short sequence of what i may try to diagnose the AYC (and where everything is - an online english manual or wiring diagram would rock), the red AYC light always turns on 30 seconds After ignition, not when i start the car

Physician
04-12-2004, 07:19 AM
unfortunately all signs point to yes.

please someone provide s short sequence of what i may try to diagnose the AYC (and where everything is - an online english manual or wiring diagram would rock), the red AYC light always turns on 30 seconds After ignition, not when i start the car

There is a load of information in the Library and Members area Zeke (fuse location, AYC info etc).

I thought exactly the same as the previous poster ........ the car has been thrashed. The tyre wear may well be due to the AYC not operating or if the tyres are one-way rotation they may have been swapped over front/rear which would again indicate it's been tracked or thrashed.

In respect of the AYC filler location. Open the trunk/boot and stand facing the car. My car is right hand drive and so the filler is located on the right (offside) wing area in the boot. You should see a squarish protruding piece of carpeting which is removable ....... it's in there - screw cap which is a dipstick for the AYC fluid.

Big Ian
05-12-2004, 11:57 AM
did you buy it from a garage or a private deal?

Zeke
14-12-2004, 04:18 PM
From an exporter company in Japan (bestjapancar), i haven't had time to do anything with the car except groceries, but my exam week ends tomorrow.
AYC light comes on whenever i press the gas, if i idle it it will not be lit (strange?). Fluid in the trunk seems to be a a tad overfilled, fuses are fine.
Over the next week i will most likely get new rotors/pads and try to sort the AYC problem.
The other thing that is bothering me is occasionally it won't turn over, i have to try 2-3 times. this is rare but there's a new battery in there... so what could it be other than fuel pump pressure?

thanx for the help, it's been quite a headache.
sidenote - an email to the exporter company did not result in a reply, so i essentially got ripped

z