PDA

View Full Version : Tube/fin cooler vs alu finned cooler?

wintertidenz
05-02-2012, 04:49 AM
I'm having some troubles with my radiator and need to replace it, so will need to also get a new ATF cooler.

I've been having a look here: http://www.staparts.co.nz/product_9_COOLINGV8.php

As you can see, there are two distinct types of cooler - the tube and fin coolers, and the solid aluminum ones with fins. I'm thinking that if the alu finned ones are OK for V8s, they should be for our cars too - but I don't see anyone else really using them for trans cooling. I know that it may be a bit more of a squeeze to get it in, but it looks to fit behind the intercooler - and I was thinking that the more air it catches along its length, then the cooler the trans fluid will be.

Would this cool just as well as one of the tube/fin ones? And if so, is it worth getting one even just to test fit? I can always use it for oil cooling if it's unsuitable for the transmission.

Nick Mann
05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd imagine that the more commonly used type is better at cooling - it seems logical to assume that it has more surface area to do the cooling with. Having said that, any additional cooling on the VR4's ATF is more than the car left the factory with. If you are thinking of getting a radiator with no atf cooling facility then I'd look a lot more into it.

CANDEE
05-02-2012, 11:31 AM
I have one of these Dan:

It handled Manfield fine. :) Was a bit hot with the 29 deg heat but didnt get the naughty 'n' light at anytime other than my spin on the infield(I did on my previous trip on the normal runs)... /rally

wintertidenz
05-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I was looking at the kits for the Holden V8's as well :P should be more than sufficient cooling capacity.

How much did that one set you back Jeremy?

CANDEE
05-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Mine is actually what they sell for the v8's.. To give you an idea of size, with it on its side its only about 30mm smaller than the AC radiator, and you have to take the intercooler etc off to fit it....

I think it was $185 retail, but I think i paid about $150 for it.. lol They had the baby ones in there as well and the core alone was $135.. :(

MarkSanne
06-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Wouldn't it be good/better if it had a thermostat?

CANDEE
06-02-2012, 10:47 AM
It would help the cold starts Mark. :) I do have one, but havent installed it yet, the car runs fine once its up to temp so at this stage there is no advantage with it. Also in most cases the box doesnt get near 85 deg c with normal driving, therefore the thermostat will never open. :)

Im considering running a second one that is inline to the first one with the thermostat, so it will have the extra cooling when on the track, but thats further down the line. :)

Ryan
08-02-2012, 01:18 AM
I think that my one is similar to what Jeremy's got. I am assuming that it too is a for a V8 (also says "Made in Canada").