PDA

View Full Version : Twin Fogs - Condensation

jjayokocha
10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Both fogs on my 98 vr4 look awful, they contantly steam up and sometimes have water in them. What can i do to stop this & clean the inside of the cover? I saw in another thread Kenneth saying bout mixing in spirits to get it sorted but would this remove the colourisation as one seems to be stained a little yellow.

exevoowner
10-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I did ponder on this when i had my v6 sport with twin spots the only thing i thought of would be to strip them down and re seal them with sikia flex which i used to bound screens with as for cleaning them i would of thought a good cleaner would sort it unless the cover is discoloured

crazydriver81
10-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I did ponder on this when i had my v6 sport with twin spots the only thing i thought of would be to strip them down and re seal them with sikia flex which i used to bound screens with as for cleaning them i would of thought a good cleaner would sort it unless the cover is discoloured

The only way to do that job right. You need to open them up (thank god it's hot melt butyl inside bonding the cover to the body :)), clean them and then re-seal them.

1) Opening procedure: 10 mins in the kitchen-oven @ 90-100° CELSIUS -> afterwards you should be able to take the cover off fairly easy (maybe you need a large flat head screwdriver to assist)
2) Then let the parts cool down and start cleaning. Be careful not to remove the black butyl, you'll need it. Probaby you need to polish the inside of the clear cover but it's plastic, so no issue.
3) putting back together: heat the cover and the body up again (same as above) and then push both parts back together. you can apply a bit more force to ensure the cover sits correct.
4) after cooling down the cover should sit right again and you can apply some black windscreen glue (i.e. sika flex) around the cover (in the gap between body and cover)

Hope that helps. Sorry, my english isn't the best of the world ;)

jjayokocha
10-02-2012, 03:04 PM
@ Stefan, perfect will give it a try.

eyeballprawn
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
I took one of mine apart, sealed it all back up really well.. and it still gets condensation. I think the water might splash up from the road and soak through the breather or something. Before you go to all the trouble, I'd throw a few silica gel sachets in the back and see what happens.

The fogs also seem to have some kind of horrible thermoplastic sealant that is much stronger than the butyl stuff used on the headlights and was really painful to deal with.

jjayokocha
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
why cnt we be like the land rovers, they have pipe top and bottom of the fop, it reciculates hot air in the top and out the bottom to prevent this. Other thing i was thinking, just slap some yellow tint vinyl on the lens for the jap look and i wudnt be able to see condensationha ha

crazydriver81
11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Dylan, if the fogs are still leaking it's most likely the seals of the bulb holders. You can check them and give them a proper clean and spray them with silicone spray...

jjayokocha
12-02-2012, 12:22 PM
ye my bulb holders are leaking like mad so gna have to sort them, would the fogs look better with a black tint on them?

eyeballprawn
12-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Dylan, if the fogs are still leaking it's most likely the seals of the bulb holders. You can check them and give them a proper clean and spray them with silicone spray...

Actually applied silicone grease to them at the time but it didn't help.