PDA

View Full Version : fix for wind noise at high speed

MarkSanne
13-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Yesterday I finaly fixed the high speed wind noise. The idea came from a German Galant owner (http://sunnytoeter.de/?p=353) (who obviously has more trouble with the Galant's wind noise at high speeds on the autobahn).

The fix is simple, fast and cheap. Just was I like! In the rubber that is on the cars frame seal (so not on the doors themselve!) there are 2 round 'chambers'. The larger one is around 6-6.5mm in diameter. A perfect fit is simple airhose that has 6mm outside diameter (4mm inside). From the 90-degree bend in the original rubber the airhose is simple to insert and once it's done, push it all back on the carframe seal and voila!

The rubber now sits just a tad more tight to the door which keeps unwanted noises out longer. How much longer you ask? I don't know yet. I pushed it to 180km/h and no wind noise what so ever yet!!! Overall it seemed just a bit more quiet in the cabin, although the engine/exhaust noise were 'better' audible now :)

And here's a supershort whobbly youtube video of me trying to get het tubing in with one hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xtEaNSQc4

Very pleased with this 15 euro upgrade. Will do the same to the VR2 tonight.
Oh and I bought 25 meters of this stuff as I figured that would be enough for 2 cars. I already know it's way too much! Will add here how much is needed after tonight.

EDIT: done the VR2 too. Took only 10 minutes for all 4 doors. For 1 Galant/Legnum (or: 4 doors) you need 6.5 meters total. From my original 25 meters tubing, I have 8 meters left, more than enough for another.

Wodjno
13-02-2012, 11:43 AM
That's awesome /yes will deffo give that a try :thumbup:

Wodj

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Wodjno
13-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Just thought. Would turning the door catch round have the same affect, by pulling the door in tighter as the unused side is not worn.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

MarkSanne
13-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I've tried adjusting the door catch a few years ago, but that is near to impossible. The door catches don't seem to be worn (maybe 0.0x mm) even after so many years/closes so rotating them won't do much I'd say.

sampsulo
13-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Nice things. Nice find mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elnevio
13-02-2012, 01:35 PM
So it makes the rubber seal on the door frame more rigid? But retains flexibility?

Will be good to see some pictures. :)

MarkSanne
13-02-2012, 02:15 PM
I'll make some pictures tonight when I do this on the VR2. Maybe a bit of video to see how good that iphone 4s camera is indoors ;)
And yes Nev, it makes the rubber seal more rigid, but not so much that you can notice it when closing the doors.

Davezj
13-02-2012, 02:29 PM
nice,
i like this, now i have got rid of gear box whine, the wind noise is next then road noise.
i will try and source some tube, here in the UK.

Do you think polyuratane will do.
£12 plus p+p for 25m
http://www.singlesupplygroup.co.uk/polyurethane-tubing/polyurethane-tubing-6mm

i am going to order some black.

elnevio
13-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Is this the same stuff that you can use to put down your window edgings so that they clear the side windows of water when you roll them down and back up again in the morning?

Davezj
13-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I used 6mm tubing for that as well.
should work.
i will buy some tonight and let you know if it works then i can sell the rest of the 25m real at cost plus p+p.
if anybody want to do that.

i would think to do the doors and the widows you would need about 5m but i can test this for you.

MarkSanne
13-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I'd like to buy 4 meters of the black tube sould you decide to buy it in black! The window-fix is next on my list, but I'd like it in black instead of transparant. And I can't find black tubing over here...

elnevio
13-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Group buy on black tubing! :D

VR457
13-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Awesome discovery, this one needs trying out!

adaxo
13-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Group buy on black tubing! :D

Count me in :happy:

swinks
13-02-2012, 06:14 PM
...And I can't find black tubing over here...

Following famous quote: "Search is your friend!", here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irrigation-Supply-Tube-Black-Polyethylene-6mm-100m-Roll-/120724144048?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_Han dTools_SM&hash=item1c1bb83fb0

Davezj
13-02-2012, 07:20 PM
right i have ordered 25m of this tubing.
just to confirm are you inserting the tubing in the sael around the door frame on the car or the seal on the door itself.
i can see a possibility of doing either, but the door frame itself already has a flap opening in the corner to allow you to slide the tube in.

the tube ended up costing £16 for 25m of tube delivered, so we will see how it goes.
100m for £45 so postage will not be too bad.

VR457
13-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Dave, first dibs on buying piping off you!!!

Davezj
13-02-2012, 08:33 PM
i think maybe a bit of greasing is in order when fitting the tube,
i have looked at the linked site and it is tube inserted in the door frame seal, rather than the door seal itself.

MarkSanne
13-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Greasing is not necessary at all. Don't grease it until you've tried it without first. You won't be disappointed.

Davezj
13-02-2012, 09:03 PM
i will give it a go without, but i quite fancied "greasing my tube" he said while rubbing his thigh.

MarkSanne
13-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Added pics & youtube video to provide a better 'instruction'.
Also: for 1 car / all 4 doors, only 6.5 meters is needed.

Davezj
13-02-2012, 10:31 PM
most excellent mark, it fits in the seal very easily in the video, should only be a couple of days before i can try this. i just hope the tube i have ordered is flexible enough to go through the seal.
for anyone else that wants to try this then i think B&Q or any aquatic center sells the transparent tubing that mark has used. not sure what it will cost.

this looks like the stuff on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-UK-DELIVERY-1m-x-6mm-Aquarium-Silicone-Airline-Tubing-air-pump-sKu-19301-/250945839586?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a6d89a1e2

sampsulo
14-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Oh yeah! Thanks guys. Will be sorting this as soon as I get that radiator hedgehogy thingy fixed and have replaced my lower control arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davezj
22-02-2012, 12:21 AM
well i got the tube, fitted it today.
went for a little drive.
it does not seem to have stopped the wind noise for me, maybe slightly reduced. i think the seal noise has reduced but the main noise is still there.
however i put that down to the stupid monsooon shield fitted on my car. most jap impports have them, and think i will give it go removing them at some point.
i have a moon roof as well and that makes a bit of wind noise as well.
the monsoon shields can bee removed, the window has to be lowered and the bonding strip has to be cut through to remove the sheild and the clips pulled out of the window opening, it is very comon for them to crack and snap when removing them.
not sure if the clip removal leaves a bad mark on the door frame though.

must get round to trying this.

Davezj
22-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Added pics & youtube video to provide a better 'instruction'.
Also: for 1 car / all 4 doors, only 6.5 meters is needed.

mark do you have monsoon shield fitted to your car?

Gly
22-02-2012, 12:28 AM
its the door mirrors that make the noise on mine,

i have monsoons, and changed to bomex(style) mirrors wind noise gone.

Davezj
22-02-2012, 12:33 AM
its the door mirrors that make the noise on mine,

i have monsoons, and changed to bomex(style) mirrors wind noise gone.

that's interseting, i had assumed it was the shields.
i might try folding the mirrors in at speed and see if the noise reduces or at least changes.

http://www.topendmotorsports.com/jp/exterior/sidemirrors/bomex/index.html
are these the ones you have.

lathiat
22-02-2012, 06:14 AM
My wind noise changes with the mirrors are speed.. might try the door fix also though.

Gly
22-02-2012, 07:01 AM
they are similar Dave, mine are knock-off's made from fibre glass.

MarkSanne
22-02-2012, 08:54 AM
mark do you have monsoon shield fitted to your car?

Yes I do. Removing them leaves marks on the 'black' doorframe. In my case after a couple of years of having them fit (and while replacing a door and thus swapping them over to the new door) the black paint was gone and had begun to very very slighty rust. The type of rust that you can remove without sanding. What could be a problem in your (and others) case is the doorframe not closing thight enough. Some guys over here use a bit of force and a block of wood to prevent the door from closing and pushing the doorframe just slighty more inwards which also seem to help in reducing wind noise.

I also have a set of Ganadors that I'll be fitting after painting, so will be interesting to see if / how much that changes wind noise compared to the original mirrors.

Davezj
22-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes I do. Removing them leaves marks on the 'black' doorframe. In my case after a couple of years of having them fit (and while replacing a door and thus swapping them over to the new door) the black paint was gone and had begun to very very slighty rust. The type of rust that you can remove without sanding. What could be a problem in your (and others) case is the doorframe not closing thight enough. Some guys over here use a bit of force and a block of wood to prevent the door from closing and pushing the doorframe just slighty more inwards which also seem to help in reducing wind noise.

I also have a set of Ganadors that I'll be fitting after painting, so will be interesting to see if / how much that changes wind noise compared to the original mirrors.

cheers mark that is handy to know.
i know exactly what you mean about the block of wood and door frame.

HMG1K
23-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Great discovery! I've ordered mine - £6.50 for black 6mm outer, 4mm inner, tubing on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220728564911#ht_1191wt_249

MarkSanne
23-02-2012, 12:44 PM
That is SUPER cheap!

HMG1K
23-02-2012, 12:51 PM
You are super cool! I can't wait to try this mod of yours out and eliminate a bit - if not all - the road noise... Even a 10% reduction in noise is good enough for me! Thanks, Mark!

Davezj
23-02-2012, 02:39 PM
doing this tube insert will not reduce road noise, only wind noise.

HMG1K
23-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Sorry! Getting my road and wind noises confused! :-)

Davezj
23-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Road noise is my biggest issue, so I am going to try something a bit odd, but logical, so I will report back when I have done it.

HMG1K
01-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Done mine! With the extra, I threaded it double through the large 'hole' running through the rubber seal just under the front of the bonnet lip, and the same on the rear of the engine bay. :-)