PDA

View Full Version : Pajero 2.0ltr gdi having starting problems

Humpty's Revenge
14-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Has anyone had this problem before with a 2.0 gdi petrol 2002 pajero?

The car won't start just really trying too & barely fires.

But if you squirt easy start straight down the throttle body it will start but only running what seems like on 2 cylinders.

Until you get to 2000 revs then it will run somewhat better but you have to hold the throttle open to stay at those revs.

What's been replaced so far:-

Head as the gasket had gone

Bottom end as the gasket caused the block to crack between cylinders

Throttle body completely reconditioned

2 new coil packs

New spark plugs

Ignition amplifier sent away for testing

Ignition relay as above

There is compression on all 4

N/S fuel pick up pump replaced

It's like there's either a weak spark or it's not fueling

So anything that has been missed guys please?

As it's getting annoying now

TIA

Goreden
14-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Not sure about repairs etc, but try not to use that easy start too much as it will get addicted to it, our old crane at work was like an addict for it, wouldn't start without it

Wodjno
14-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Have you had the High Pressure Fuel pump checked out Steve? Not the 1 in the tank. The 1 on the engine ?

It does sound like a fueling issue.
Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Ps.. have you changed the fuel filter ?

Humpty's Revenge
14-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Have you had the High Pressure Fuel pump checked out Steve? Not the 1 in the tank. The 1 on the engine ?

It does sound like a fueling issue.

No bud we haven't, I know which one your on about as it's the one at the back of the engine

Is there a way to check it easily please?

Wodjno
14-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't think so mate. They can run at over 2000psi, so I don't think there's an easy safe way of checking. Must be a local garage than can ?

psbarham
14-02-2012, 07:26 PM
as wodg says try the hp pump, or the injectors, I have a pump and injectors kicking about here somewhere if you need one to try.
you should be able to narrow down which pots aren't firing by pulling the leads off when it is running to see which ones have no effect.

Humpty's Revenge
14-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't think so mate. They can run at over 2000psi, so I don't think there's an easy safe way of checking. Must be a local garage than can ?

Righto bud thanks, garage tomorrow it is then.

Just one thing thinking about it, they have those micro filters in them so possibly take them out & check from there?

Wodjno
14-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Righto bud thanks, garage tomorrow it is then.

Just one thing thinking about it, they have those micro filters in them so possibly take them out & check from there?
Yes they sometimes become blocked. They can be flushed out with fuel and a air hose..

Wodjno
14-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Yes they sometimes become blocked. They can be flushed out with fuel and a air hose..

Just found this Steve...

there are two microfilters, they are in the top of the high pressure pump you don't have to remove the pump there should be four fuel lines into the top of the pump, the microfilters are in the one nearest the bulkhead and the one nearest the manifold you'll have to undo both ends of that line to remove the pipe to get at the filter.If you remove them and don't get the full filter i.e just the brass ring you'll have to take the pump off as in my previous post and recover the broken filter.

I wouldn't recommend just removing them, you need to replace them their about £5ish from dealership,and if you can fit a universal fuel filter n the line before it get's to the high pressure pump.

There's only one high pressure pump and it's mounted to the engine block,there is a low pressure pump located in the fuel tank.

Humpty's Revenge
14-02-2012, 07:54 PM
as wodg says try the hp pump, or the injectors, I have a pump and injectors kicking about here somewhere if you need one to try.
you should be able to narrow down which pots aren't firing by pulling the leads off when it is running to see which ones have no effect.

That's kind of ya bud thanks, I've tried the pulse at the injectors & all 4 are pulsing correctly. The pump you've got bud did it work & is it for 2.0 gdi? which is a stupid question but had to be asked sorry

Just found this Steve...

there are two microfilters, they are in the top of the high pressure pump you don't have to remove the pump there should be four fuel lines into the top of the pump, the microfilters are in the one nearest the bulkhead and the one nearest the manifold you'll have to undo both ends of that line to remove the pipe to get at the filter.If you remove them and don't get the full filter i.e just the brass ring you'll have to take the pump off as in my previous post and recover the broken filter.

I wouldn't recommend just removing them, you need to replace them their about £5ish from dealership,and if you can fit a universal fuel filter n the line before it get's to the high pressure pump.

There's only one high pressure pump and it's mounted to the engine block,there is a low pressure pump located in the fuel tank.

Cheers Glenn, funny thing is I've been reading the self same thing moments before you posted this up, it's by a guy on pocuk waynec.

Ill check this out tomorrow :thumbsup:

Humpty's Revenge
14-02-2012, 08:00 PM
What's the delivery pressure of the in tank fuel pump? Any ideas please?

Wodjno
14-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Not sure dude. Al i know is that its a relatively low pressure pump.. Just a pick up really to deliver it to the high pressue pump.. It could also be this pump if it's not supplying enough fuel to the HPP.. But still more likely to be an issue with HPP, or micro filters.

Humpty's Revenge
14-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Not sure dude. Al i know is that its a relatively low pressure pump.. Just a pick up really to deliver it to the high pressue pump.. It could also be this pump if it's not supplying enough fuel to the HPP.. But still more likely to be an issue with HPP, or micro filters.

Righto, the throw pump in the tank is pushing out 10 psi that to me doesn't sound enough?

Wodjno
14-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Righto, the throw pump in the tank is pushing out 10 psi that to me doesn't sound enough?

Steve.. I don't think the pressure is the main thing for the supply pump.. Flow and pressure are not the same. The HPP does not require the fuel to be delivered at a High Pressure, but a high enough flow rate. And if it works like the VR4 pumps, then it will supply a slower flow at idle?

Wodjno
14-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Steve..

Have you got a copy of this ?

http://tech.mirage-performance.com/Manuals/Mirage%20Service%20Manuals/4G9x_Engine_Manual.pdf