PDA

View Full Version : New ECU Mods

BCX
20-02-2012, 03:35 AM
Hey Guys,

As Kenneth is busy these days, i'm gonna keep the ECU Mods going.

If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to post in here and i'll let you know if it's do-able. I'd would be to eventually merge with KSMods.

Mods I'm working on at the moment:

Live Tuning (this is ages away from being complete, but i'm working on it)
Output based on parameters for water injection, IC spray
Ability to override fuel pump behavior - eliminate the need to hotwire it
Allow wideband input for primary O2
Increase MUT baud

Cheers,
Bill

Adam.Findlay
20-02-2012, 03:37 AM
+1 for live tuning
+1 for wideband input
+1 for eliminate need to hotwire fuel pump

will be following this thread closely especialy the live tuning part

OnBoost!
20-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Good to hear....:thumbsup:

wintertidenz
20-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Do we have a way to fully control boost via the ECU yet - basically eliminate any boost controllers required?

Or is that already covered under WGDC?

Davezj
20-02-2012, 08:06 AM
There is a thread called "boost contol via factory ecu" or something like that.

Anderz
20-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Awesome:D
As I had a carPc with evoscan displaying gauges, it would be nice to remove the flashing of AYC and ABS light while logging
Now it stops flashing when driving over 20 km/h

BCX
20-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Awesome:D
As I had a carPc with evoscan displaying gauges, it would be nice to remove the flashing of AYC and ABS light while logging
Now it stops flashing when driving over 20 km/h

reason this happens is due to pin 1 on OBD connector being earthed. If your really keen to get rid of it, cut that wire going to the AYC and ABS, that way they dont end up in diagnostic mode.

BCX
20-02-2012, 08:52 AM
+1 for live tuning
+1 for wideband input
+1 for eliminate need to hotwire fuel pump

will be following this thread closely especialy the live tuning part

Live tuning is miles from complete. i have wrote some code to do this, and about to upload it to a bench Magna ecu. It's not the full thing as each time i do it, i find something else wrong with the logic of the code. i'm about to shelf live tuning for a bit and work on the other mods then revisit this again fresh.

Confused
20-02-2012, 11:02 AM
MAP, rather than MAF, please! :)
Per-bank O2 sensors :)

foxdie
20-02-2012, 11:20 AM
+1 for Live Tuning
+1 for Wideband o2 (hopefully this can be used for WOT closed loop?)
+1 for Fuel pump

What I would like also is an option to keep the injectors running on overrun to implement overrun anti-lag :thumbsup:

Adam.Findlay
21-02-2012, 12:16 AM
+1 for Live Tuning
+1 for Wideband o2 (hopefully this can be used for WOT closed loop?)
+1 for Fuel pump

What I would like also is an option to keep the injectors running on overrun to implement overrun anti-lag :thumbsup:

i was wondering this about KSmods initiating antilag for launch control, can it be implemented as a rev limit like a Bee*R limiter aswell as on the overrun as you mentioned

foxdie
21-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm using KS Mods 2.0 and although I've happily implemented maps for launch control + anti-lag for launching, there's no current way to implement overrun anti-lag as the injectors simply shut off about half a second after you let off the accelerator pedal.

What I am left with is a nice burbling / popping exhaust for a second or two after lift-off, even the occasional loud bang as a big wad of unignited fuel goes up :D

Shtiv
21-02-2012, 10:29 AM
I would say the things we would like are.

Control of any spare outputs from the ECU
Live tuning
Defining the fuel pump control parameters would be best rather than overriding them
Ability to take a MAP input and then do something with that, eg proper closed loop boost control
And yeah antilag no overrun would be nice on a switched map.
Ideally all of this should be added to Kenneths switchable maps roms though rather than starting again and having the problem of "I can have Kenneths switchable maps or I can have Bill's output control and live tuning"

Adam.Findlay
21-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I would say the things we would like are.

Control of any spare outputs from the ECU
Live tuning
Defining the fuel pump control parameters would be best rather than overriding them
Ability to take a MAP input and then do something with that, eg proper closed loop boost control
And yeah antilag no overrun would be nice on a switched map.
Ideally all of this should be added to Kenneths switchable maps roms though rather than starting again and having the problem of "I can have Kenneths switchable maps or I can have Bill's output control and live tuning"

+1
i think he is working with kenneth on the matter.

not to worried about overrun for antilag as we dont really need it, it just sounds cool :)
but having the ignition retarding rev limiter like a bee*R limiter instead of a fuel cutting limiter that makes it lean

foxdie
21-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Yeah this is a point of concern for me, I don't want to give up some features to use other features from another ROM.

What would be good is some version control going on, I'll happily pay $25/mo for a 6GB / 20 user Beanstalk (http://beanstalkapp.com/pricing) repository account (supports either Git or Subversion repositories) to help get you started.

As for donations, there will be some fair way of splitting it. I donate $10 USD to Ken every time I flash his ROM, I don't mind donating a little more for that to be split amongst the active contributors.

foxdie
24-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Another couple of features that would be great;

* MAP sensor support (Ken might be working on this, but would be nice to work on it anyway, get a head start)
* WGDC calculation interval support

With us having the ability to control boost via ECU, it makes sense to be able to control it more accurately, I'm going to buy a 3-port wastegate solenoid soon, however the ECUs WGDC calculation interval is too low to compensate for sudden changes in boost.

wintertidenz
24-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Not sure if Kenneth is working on this one, but a valet mode of sorts as a security feature would be nice.

Redline at 2500-3000 rpm, speed limiter of 60kph and timing really pulled back as an example suggestion.

BCX
26-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Not sure if Kenneth is working on this one, but a valet mode of sorts as a security feature would be nice.

Redline at 2500-3000 rpm, speed limiter of 60kph and timing really pulled back as an example suggestion.

you can do this currently with KSMods, but if you want a more traditional valet mode, it can be implemented pretty easily.

BCX
14-03-2012, 01:29 PM
just an update: i'm almost at alpha of live tuning. i'm having trouble getting the j2534 libraries to work correctly, so only works with ftdi drivers atm. another thing to note: also cannot use living tuning with evoscan at the same time as only one program can have the libraries open - ftdi or j2534. Three ways to solve: combine my program into evoscan, write something like evoscan for my app, or live with stoping loggin when changing values (still quicker than reflash). atm, my c# program gives a ecuflash style interface to update cells in ign, fuel & wgdc tables in real time.

Have sucessfully written a map to RAM, then got ecu to look up from ram copy on bench ECU (magna ecu running vr4 rom) - if i had a spare vr4 ecu, i'd actually try it in car, just making sure everything works on the bench well before i try it properly.

foxdie
14-03-2012, 01:40 PM
just an update: i'm almost at alpha of live tuning. i'm having trouble getting the j2534 libraries to work correctly, so only works with ftdi drivers atm. another thing to note: also cannot use living tuning with evoscan at the same time as only one program can have the libraries open - ftdi or j2534. Three ways to solve: combine my program into evoscan, write something like evoscan for my app, or live with stoping loggin when changing values (still quicker than reflash). atm, my c# program gives a ecuflash style interface to update cells in ign, fuel & wgdc tables in real time.

Have sucessfully written a map to RAM, then got ecu to look up from ram copy on bench ECU (magna ecu running vr4 rom) - if i had a spare vr4 ecu, i'd actually try it in car, just making sure everything works on the bench well before i try it properly.

Bill before you continue I'd strongly recommend talking to Hamish @ EvoScan, EvoScan v2.9 supposedly supports live tuning via the maptracer, I've briefed him on Skype about what you're doing, please drop him an email at support@evoscan.com

BCX
14-03-2012, 02:16 PM
ok, email sent.

Has anyone used the live tuning capabilities in Evoscan?

BCX
26-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Update: I've identified outputs in the VR4 code, but as i'm using a magna ECU as my bench ECU, i cant check if the same outputs exist on the VR4 PCB.

So til i get my hands on a VR4 ecu, i cant do the Outputs Mod.

Other mods, including the live tuning are coming along nicely.

BCX
26-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Bill before you continue I'd strongly recommend talking to Hamish @ EvoScan, EvoScan v2.9 supposedly supports live tuning via the maptracer, I've briefed him on Skype about what you're doing, please drop him an email at support@evoscan.com

Hey Jason, Still no reply from Hamish...

foxdie
26-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Hey Jason, Still no reply from Hamish...

I've sent him a bump on Skype :)

Adam.Findlay
27-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Update: I've identified outputs in the VR4 code, but as i'm using a magna ECU as my bench ECU, i cant check if the same outputs exist on the VR4 PCB.

So til i get my hands on a VR4 ecu, i cant do the Outputs Mod.

Other mods, including the live tuning are coming along nicely.

yay live tuning. getting excited about that one

BCX
27-03-2012, 03:08 AM
one way or another, i'll get it working. i've got two way of going about it.

I'm currently investigating if there is enough room in memory to load a few maps - i've definately found room for at least one, but having trouble relocating it.

otherwise, the other alternative will be to up the baud rate, and have the map live on the PC with failsafes in place (ie use map in ROM). Idea is the motor cant accelerate as fast as the I/O, so we should have plenty of time to get values in and out.

Adam.Findlay
27-03-2012, 03:21 AM
not 100 percent on this but my mate here who chips and tunes the nissan rb, ca and sr ecus has some kind of emulator which i think runs the car from a preloaded rom. then once the car is running from the emulator you can change values on the fly (live tuning) once the tune is satisfactory the rom is burned to the chip which is them placed in the ecu socket.
is the way your doing it still running the car off the ecu but changing values on the rom inside the ecu on the fly?

foxdie
27-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Sorry Bill, news isn't as good as I'd hoped;

Hamish Ahern 26/03/2012 15:49
I'm away for 2 weeks in usa. not sure that I'll have time.

and considering I'm getting over 65+ emails per day now. I can't answer everyone

maybe one day when I start a tuning company I might have more to say about live tuning for H8/500 ecus. but for now I only have time for datalogging/DTC/actuators

have a chat to ziad, he seems to have lots of time for live tuning

its all he does

Edit: He's said he'll try and find time to have a talk with you, but he'll be expecting there to be some significant progress made already, not starting with the basics :thumbsup:

foxdie
27-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Actually, Bill, he's asked you to add him on Skype, I'll PM you his username.

kinkyafro
29-03-2012, 10:26 PM
not 100 percent on this but my mate here who chips and tunes the nissan rb, ca and sr ecus has some kind of emulator which i think runs the car from a preloaded rom. then once the car is running from the emulator you can change values on the fly (live tuning) once the tune is satisfactory the rom is burned to the chip which is them placed in the ecu socket.
is the way your doing it still running the car off the ecu but changing values on the rom inside the ecu on the fly?

Sounds like your mate is using a rom emulator which on the 90's nissans can be done with £150 worth of kit. You can't emulate the rom on 7202 ECU's as the rom is integral to the CPU. It can be done on 7201 ECU's but because of the eprom type you'd need to drop about £1k on the necessary kit and wouldn't be able to utilise Kenneths ecu mods (although you could probably develop maps on a 7201 and then transfer them to a 7202).

BCX
20-04-2012, 04:55 AM
OK, just beta testing output on condition mod... looking promising, but i'll leave it for steve (Shtiv) to thoughly test this.

Have identified two outputs at the moment on a VR4 ecu that Steve donated. It had a 2381/2428 rom on it, so i'll double check the same outputs exist on an ecu that shipped with 2004/2005 Rom.

I had one output set up so a globe turned on over certian RPM, the other output turned on over certian TPS %. both functioned fine, yet to flaw my code.

foxdie
20-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Bill are you collaborating with Kenneth?

Might be cooler if you could add functionality to his ROM rather than a stock ROM. That way we get an all-in-one :)

BCX
20-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Eventually it'll merge, its just early days as my dev that I work from is messy. Once mods are tested and working, we'll merge the roms.

Merging our work will bring up a few problems in itself.

Also, I will be releasing a version of each rom type. Steve and I have been discussing this, and think its best to stick with the rom that came with your car/ecu.

Davezj
13-03-2013, 04:44 PM
any updates on this?