PDA

View Full Version : FS If you're thinking of investing in some power tools, here's a good deal

Jesus-Ninja
20-02-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-cck18082n-18v-8-piece-kit/84296?cm_mmc=Email-_-E12W04A-_-Standard-_-Ryobi8pcSet

Atik
20-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Thats a good bargain there. Be perfect for most domestic users.

As a tradesman, I much prefer my Dewalt kit, but then I paid £200 for just a hammer drill and driver!

Jesus-Ninja
20-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Be perfect for most domestic users.

Yeah - that's what I was thinking. Personally, aside from drill / driver, I'd always go for corded anyway. It's very rare that I find myself with nowhere to plug in :)

Atik
20-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Definiteley agree with that. I've found that even my 14.4v drill driver does almost everything I need. Even goes through soft brick/mortar with the right bits.

Confused
20-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Ryobi stuff is awesome, it's all I'd want to use now - and the One+ is great.

I've got a medium sized drill, a right-angled drill, and a jigsaw :)

That is a stonking deal, though!

Davezj
20-02-2012, 02:14 PM
good price, and i have been told they are very good quality for the money. these deals always come round when i have no cash put aside for play.
i would jump at these if i had the cash.

waxer
21-02-2012, 02:26 AM
I'm really sick of Ryobi. I have a router of theirs that is horrible to use, it keeps losing all the settings and ruining every workpiece; I had a 4" Ryobi belt sander that has burnt out after very light use; and I bought a Ryobi garden shredder for my Dad that turned out to be next to useless. My recommendation is to steer well clear of them, they are not much better than the cheap Chinese rubbish. Stick with Makita, Bosch or DeWalt, even if you are a light user it will pay for itself over time.

waxer
21-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Plus that kit only comes with two 1.5 aH ni-cad batteries. The better stuff is coming with 3aH lithium batteries now, and that is where the cost lies in cordless technology.

Nick Mann
21-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I have used a Ryobi drill/driver and it seemed fine. Not as good as my Bosch Professional one though. I own a Ryobi router too and I am very impressed with it.

I agree with the battery technology though, if you can get lithium ion batteries rather than nickel cadmium then go for that every day of the week.

Jesus-Ninja
22-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Funny, I had a Bosch and it was terrible

Nick Mann
22-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Green Bosch or Blue Bosch?

I'd put Blue Bosch on a par with DeWalt. I use my drill/driver almost daily and it is still going strong after nearly 3 years of hard use.

Jesus-Ninja
22-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah, this was Bosch green 14.4V, but it was unbelieeeeeeevably rubbish. Batter charger was unable to tell when the battery was charged so the things got roasting hot. The wouldn't hold charge over night (seriously - it was dead in the morning after being left off charge)

I replaced it with a Screwfix "Erbauer" 18V which has been absolutely faultless - bags of torque, taken loads of abuse, and the charge goes on for long enough for the spare battery to be charged in time - ie no downtime.

I have a little 3.6V bosch blue screwdriver which is perfect though