PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Change Write Up ?

Wodjno
22-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Does anybody know if there is a difinitive Clutch replacement write ? I've had a good search, but can't find 1.
I'm pretty sure i remember Barry changing his clutch and doing a write up about 6 years ago ? But maybe it got lost in the upgrade ?

If there definitely isn't 1, then i will try and write 1 when i change my clutch on Friday/Saturday. Time permitting and as long as i remember to take pics along the way :thinking: If things don't go as planned? I don't think a pictures of me beating the schitt outta the gearbos with a hammer are gonna help anyone :sigh:

Cheers

Wodj

BraindG
22-02-2012, 09:08 PM
There is one, I printed it out and used it when I changed mine, on my drive.....

Was one of the NZ guys that wrote it, I would say that an updated version wouldn't go amiss. I'm convinced we've learnt some tricks of the trade since then.

I'd search but I'm on phone maybe check my thread which I think is linked in my sig.

Wodjno
22-02-2012, 09:16 PM
There is one, I printed it out and used it when I changed mine, on my drive.....

Was one of the NZ guys that wrote it, I would say that an updated version wouldn't go amiss. I'm convinced we've learnt some tricks of the trade since then.

I'd search but I'm on phone maybe check my thread which I think is linked in my sig.

Nice 1 Barry /yes And there it is in your Sig /Help Who would have thought of looking there :D

I wasn't far out on my timescale of when u did the clutch change Barry. Only about 6 months :)

Wodj

Wodjno
23-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Ok.. The time is near..

Tomorrow i will be changing the standard clutch for the uprated Competition Clutch and Lightened Flywheel supplied by Ben(Eurospec) Along with the spacer required for the job, supplied by Nick Mann /yes

I think i have everything needed for the job? But wanna be sure, as once started i won't able to easily just go get something that i need!

So hoping to build a quick checklist of everything i need /yes

Wodj

Jesus-Ninja
24-02-2012, 06:35 AM
I'll be interested to hear how you get on, Glenn. I'll be changing my clutch next weekend, and also have a Nick Mann adapter. One thing I noticed, is that the flywheel is rebated where the adapter sits, and presumably where the end of the crank would engage in an Evo install. If the Adapter is the thing filling the rebate in the flywheel, how does the adapter engage with the end of the crank? If is it solely located by the flywheel bolts?

Nick Mann
24-02-2012, 08:29 AM
The adapter sits on a ring that is machined on to the end of the crank. The same ring that is used to centre the stock flywheel. Once you get there it will be obvious and you will no longer be worried about mounting it centrally.
Hope that helps.

Jesus-Ninja
24-02-2012, 08:36 AM
The adapter sits on a ring that is machined on to the end of the crank. The same ring that is used to centre the stock flywheel. Once you get there it will be obvious and you will no longer be worried about mounting it centrally.
Hope that helps.

Ah, in the centre of the adapter ring? I though it might be something like that :)

mike74
24-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Wodj, are you planning on replacing the gearbox input bearing (think thats the one?) at the same time as the clutch? I seem to remember folk saying that its a good idea to replace this when everythings apart anyway...
I'll be closely following this thread as our VR will need a clutch eventually...not too soon i hope! :)

adaxo
29-02-2012, 11:29 PM
How its went?? any problems on the way?? how did you remove old clutch?? or its just not happen.........yet:whistle:

Adam.Findlay
01-03-2012, 02:05 AM
i could take photos and write one up if there is sufficent demand as i will be taking my entire engine out within the next 2 weeks

Jesus-Ninja
01-03-2012, 10:24 PM
My clutch goes in over the next 48hrs. I'll take my camera down to my garage :)

Nick Mann
01-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Good luck Nick!

Jesus-Ninja
03-03-2012, 09:05 PM
OK - I'm definitely going to write this up. Every guide on here regarding gearbox removal seems to be missing some important step or other! Watch this space.... :)

hbkuk1
04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
that would be cool ive got mine to do soon and cant find a difinative guide

psbarham
04-03-2012, 09:01 PM
I know wodg is gonna do one, he's on nights at the mo though.

Jesus-Ninja
04-03-2012, 09:28 PM
It's definitely coming. I've taken the gearbox off twice in 24 hours. Grrrr!!

Jesus-Ninja
05-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Here it is: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?62584-Jesus-Ninja-s-clutch-change-write-up&p=690825

Comments welcome :)

hbkuk1
05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
thats cool thanks mate should make life easyer

have some rep

Wodjno
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
It's definitely coming. I've taken the gearbox off twice in 24 hours. Grrrr!!

Ditto:rolleyes4

Jesus-Ninja
07-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Ditto:rolleyes4

Oh no! What happened with yours?

Wodjno
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Oh no! What happened with yours?

Hehe.. Well firstly sorry for lack of update and no write up (Yours is much. much better than mine would have been anyway.
I've been ill since finishing the clutch change so not been in any fit state to post and go through issues. Back to work now and eating, but still not back to 100% :(

Regarding the Clutch change. Nothing to bad getting it out, just a big learning curve :D
Got it back in and it wouldn't engage the clutch. :( Note to self.. "When clutch is in, test properly before putting everything back together and starting car" /pan )

Wodjno
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
See post 24 /yes

Jesus-Ninja
07-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh, gutted - we had just got the passenger side engine mount on when we realised that it had to come off again, so just had to whip out the mount and drop it down. Still a PITA though, as that's the biggest ball ache. The rest is just time consuming.

Like you say though, once you've done it, you look back and realise it's not that bad, one you know how!

Wodjno
08-03-2012, 11:54 AM
......Following on from above.. As i said all went back in and the the release bearing fully located So put everything back together. But first push of the clutch and it went straight to the floor. Numerous pumps later and still the same ??
So i had a look inside through 1 on the inspection holes and the release bearing had popped out. I relocated it by pulling on the fork arm and it located completely again. A push on the fork arm showed it was solid. But when the clutch pedal was depressed then it popped back out again.
I gave Paul(PSBarham) a cal to see if he could shed any light on the problem. He said that it sounded like the spring clip was not locating properly and that there had been a known issue with these about a year ago, but thought it was resolved. He advised to call Ben @ Eurospec from whom i purchased the clutch. A quick call later and Ben confirmed that it sounded like either the spring clip on the release bearing other groove that it sits in that could be the issue, though this clutch was from a New Batch that had had the issue resolved. So the box had to come back out again. Paul offered to come over the next day and lend a hand and cast his eye over the clutch when it was out(as i wasn't sure what i was looking for ) So i got it all stripped down again to the point that only a few bolts on the gearbox and the rear and side engine mount were left to be removed. (Less than 2 hrs to get to that point, whereas the first time it was more than double )
Next day Paul helped me drop the box and inspect the clutch. The spring clip had actually came out of it's location on 1 corner. So it could not locate properly. Possibily it could have been knocked out of place when fitting the gearbox back up. Paul put the spring clip back in place and fully located the release bearing, but 1 tug and it popped back out He tried it 3 or 4 more times but it kept popping back out. The on the next attempt it located and couldn't be pulled back out. So he released it and tried it again 4-5 more times. Each time it he was unable to pull it back out. So it seemed to be functioning properly. So I reinstalled the clutch, and we refitted the gearbox. This time testing it before putting everything back on the car .. It worked a treat So it's all back in and been running for over a week and all seems great. The clutch was very juddery to start with but seems to be improving. Around 350 miles now put on the clutch, so a few more left before it's bedded in. Mrs Wody has been driving it most as i have been Ill. She hated it at the start and said she wasn't going to drive it But seems to have it mastered now, probably better than i It's much less juddery when the clutch is cold, but once its warmed up it can be a bit of a pain in stop start traffic or maneuvering to park.
A big thanks to Paul from coming to the rescue, especially at a time when he was much more needed at home
Also a big thanks to Nick Mann and Nutter for help and advice along the way
And a sorry to Ben for hassle, when it was down to operator error

And next time the job will be much more easy