PDA

View Full Version : Springs - standard but stiffer?

VR457
24-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Is it possible to get springs that are the same height as original but much stiffer? All the springs i have seen so far are shorter and result in the car being lowered.

SEAN-NZ
24-02-2012, 03:04 AM
just out of curiosity, why dont you want it lower?

Jesus-Ninja
24-02-2012, 06:12 AM
What do you mean when you say they are shorter? Stiffer springs that give the same ride height will, by their nature, be shorter when not under load.

VR457
24-02-2012, 05:16 PM
I dont want it lower because of not wanting to scrape the bottom on pavements, humps etc. Plus with less damper travel, potted roads, rough surfaces can throw a car off course if cornering at speed.

I was kind of hoping the springs would be thicker or made of higher tensile material or be progressively wound. But same height as original spec.

Gowf
24-02-2012, 05:44 PM
I dont want it lower because of not wanting to scrape the bottom on pavements, humps etc. Plus with less damper travel, potted roads, rough surfaces can throw a car off course if cornering at speed.

I was kind of hoping the springs would be thicker or made of higher tensile material or be progressively wound. But same height as original spec.

As Nick has said, if you have springs that are made of thicker/stiffer material, i.e any change in material/geometric properties that increase your spring rate then you WILL have greater ride height. If you want a higher spring rate to increase your spring stiffness (decrease roll etc) then they will have to be physically shorter. I'm not just saying this it is Hooke's law

Ghost_2008
24-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I think the guy just wants stiffer spring that retain the original ride height........ I wouldnt want to lower mine for the same reasons, living in London I would only beable to use about a third of roads because of speed hump etc.....

Gowf
24-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I think the guy just wants stiffer spring that retain the original ride height........ I wouldnt want to lower mine for the same reasons, living in London I would only beable to use about a third of roads because of speed hump etc.....

True but this was mentioned previously and stated that stiffer springs with standard ride height will be shorter than stock.

funkstardelux
24-02-2012, 06:40 PM
would coilovers with adjustable dampening produce a firmer ride but not lowered?

Gowf
24-02-2012, 06:49 PM
would coilovers with adjustable dampening produce a firmer ride but not lowered?

Depends on the springs that you use, along with what type of coilovers you have, i.e whether there is independent preload adjustment

VR457
24-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Sorry if i was not being clear, it was put across much better by Adam, Ghost 2008: '...stiffer spring that retain the original ride height....'

The oem springs are Front Springs: 3.75kg/mm and Rear Springs: 2.85kg/mm. Something like 6kg and 4.5kg would be an improvement.

wintertidenz
24-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Brad had some custom springs made up a while back that were a lot stiffer, but he just organised that through a suspension shop.

Think he went for what you want - 6kg and 4.5.

VR457
25-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Thank you, that is helpful. The custom route means having to find an outlet here, any suggestions?

Jesus-Ninja
25-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Thank you, that is helpful. The custom route means having to find an outlet here, any suggestions?

There is a place in Sheffield that we have used for springs, I'll did out the details. You'll nees to give them a stock spring, and they'll need to know how long the spring is when it's on the car or the static load on it when it's installed. They'll then make you a spring of your required chacteristic: (rate, progression and height)

VR457
25-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Wow, that sounds excellent! I suppose this service will have its costs though.

Would it be cheeky to ask if anyone has a spare spring they can loan?

Jesus-Ninja
25-02-2012, 02:26 PM
IIRC about £30+VAT per spring.

Jesus-Ninja
25-02-2012, 02:30 PM
There is a place in Sheffield that we have used for springs, I'll did out the details.

www.coilsprings.co.uk

VR457
26-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks for that. That is a really good price and i'm up for it so long as i can find a spring to take down to them.