PDA

View Full Version : Saloon or Estate

jalford
09-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I can see the advantage of the estate in terms of load carrying but are there other considerations?

I'm guessing the estate is bigger, therefore heavier, uses more petrol, etc...

I think I saw someone make a comment that the estate handled better

I was originally looking for a saloon but there seems to be many more estates to choose from.

DaveLee71
09-12-2004, 05:52 PM
I've just bought an estate, personally I prefer the look of an estate car and I also need the room.
Got mine from Charlesworths at Donnington, think they've got two others left, a silver and a green, both estates, really nice people to deal with.

Dave

adam_shaw
09-12-2004, 05:54 PM
I've had Galants (both V6-24) as the saloon and the estate.

Whilst the saloon was my original preference, I'd had 3 Mundano's in a row before the galant, the estate always got more comments about the look.

Now with the VR4 I've stayed with the estate, mostly 'cos friends thought it looked better, and it is great to have all that space.

To my mind the saloon looks a little anonymous, where the estate has more of a presence. I think it's one of the best looking estate cars around.

If you get a face lift legnum I think it's also the meanest looking, (I just love the back of it)

Now, where will I put my vote. :D

A

Nick VR4
09-12-2004, 06:00 PM
I voted the Legnum biased I guess

As above it looks meaner IMO especially from the back with the nice spoiler on the roof :-D

jeff
09-12-2004, 06:33 PM
I agree, the saloon does look nice, but the estate does have a certain something else, its a bit like the audis, the RS6 looks better as an estate, just a bit more muscular, plus the rooftop spoiler too.

Nick Mann
09-12-2004, 07:40 PM
5-0!

Premiership vs Sunday League?

:p

HJM
09-12-2004, 07:49 PM
5-0!

Premiership vs Sunday League?

:p

Enough said :-D

Legnum City 6 - 0 Galant Town :-D

Roadrunner
09-12-2004, 08:02 PM
6-1 :-D

Why carry more weight than you need to?

/Looks at self in mirror and thinks :rolleyes:

DaveLee71
09-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Has someone made a boob on the voting!!!

Dave

pezza
09-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Hmm its the wagon in my eyes because of the presence it has...

The facelift model stands out from all angles... that rear end is perfect :-D

Its a shame they did not use that backend for the UK cars too!

the pre facelift is a little more anonymous too which adds to the shock factor when those turbos come out to play :-b

Kenneth
09-12-2004, 10:31 PM
I voted Estate... I guess I am biased also ;)

I would have gotten a saloon for better handling, but I definatly agree with the others that the estate simply looks better.

A bit extra weight, but hey... just means you have to work the engine a bit more :-b

haha, nothing like dragging off some boy racers in a "station wagon" also :-D

Physician
09-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .......... the saloon gets my vote. Having said that, as far as estates go then the Legnum is far more attractive than other estates on the market.

I simply don't need an estate so I was always going to get a saloon. To my mind the saloon is great from the front but can easily be confused with a V6 Vectra from behind until you check the exhaust, spoiler etc carefully. ;)

Nick Mann
09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
There are a few things reminiscent of the Vectra. The SRi wheels are very similar to the facelift VR4's. There are also Vectras with wheels very like the pre-facelift VR4's. The GSi has a front spoiler with a curve on the side leading into the wheel arch like the facelift VR4. Hmmm........

Thank god it's not a Vauxhall! (This is from a man who started his driving career around Luton!!) :p

Brind
09-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Depends what your needs are and what you prefer the look of.

For me personally, I'd go for a saloon as to me the speed is pointless if you use the estate for estate purposes.

Again since I like to be different, and have something no one else has, the VR-4 is a good choice but amongst us lot, the saloon is rarer still. :p

Big Ian
09-12-2004, 11:41 PM
i'd be a saloon VR4 owner if i had the choice...ive alway's liked saloon car's better and there are less window's to clean on the saloon :rolleyes5
but the legnum and galant estate's are in a league of it's own when it come's to look's
all 8G model's have more to offer in the look's department .....even mine,it's 6 year's old and still look's better than a lot of newer car's on the road.

best lookin saloon/estate car mitsy have ever made.......bar non :-b

ritch_w
10-12-2004, 10:28 AM
i'd be a saloon VR4 owner if i had the choice...ive alway's liked saloon car's better and there are less window's to clean on the saloon :rolleyes5
but the legnum and galant estate's are in a league of it's own when it come's to look's
all 8G model's have more to offer in the look's department .....even mine,it's 6 year's old and still look's better than a lot of newer car's on the road.

best lookin saloon/estate car mitsy have ever made.......bar non :-b

Yep, wot Ian says :-b :thumbsup:

Jimbo
10-12-2004, 01:21 PM
It's the saloon for me, hands down, it's the only shape of car I love other than 2-door coupes. I don't like hatchbacks either, so I would never get on with the estate, but it is just a personal preference thing.

You can't deny the good looks of the 8G in any form, and sure we're all biased here, but I've never met anybody that wasn't impressed by the looks of my old V6, let alone the VR4.

The estate has a far more stealth appeal though, and for that reason alone it is a better car than the saloon because of that feeling it must give you Leggy owners when you destroy wannabes! Most people see my car as "hmm, that's probably quick", and then are surprised when they realise "how" quick! With the Leggy, it's got to be a different story altogether :-b

Spirit
10-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Both are stunningly beautiful - get the estate if you need the space, if not get the saloon...simple! Whichever you choose you will have one of the best looking cars around ;) - my vote is for the saloon :p

rikward
10-12-2004, 03:06 PM
I think the choice is purely down to the amount of space you really require. The Legnum is huge inside and seriously practical. The only car I know of that betters for internal space is a Pigot 505 (but they're old, ugly and crap to drive).

I have the estate for the reason of practicality, so that was my vote. But I certainly would not grumble about the saloon.

pezza
10-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Can I vote twice? :-b

I must admit that I dont often need the estate capacity but when I do, its amazing what you can get in there...4 mountain bikes (without taking off wheels if you didnt want to)

I initially had a saloon but just liked the presence poise and size of the estate,
especially once it has been lowered.. I still get the, 'why have you got an estate?' question from time to time though, but they understand why when the see The interior space, esp if you have a light colour interior!

I-S
10-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Estate. Imo it has a better profile, and the stealth factor (doesn't really apply to my GLS). I just love estates over other shapes.

Brunty
10-12-2004, 05:57 PM
The first time I noticed a VR4 was from the front - awesome looking vehicle, when I realised it was an estate I was surprised and confused, back then I didn't 'get it'.

These days I understand a bit better, but still prefer the saloon, but only ever having owned hatchbacks previously I guess I'll miss the versatility. Nevermind.

Now where can I fit these bloody skis?

jalford
10-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I went to Charlesworths over at Donnington Park last night to have a look at their Legnums. I liked the look off them in photos but it looks even better in the flesh...er...metal. :D

Going back up tomorrow morning to have a closer look.

wirdy
10-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Yet another biased person, but IMHO the VR4 Legnum is THE best looking estate car bar none (the Saab 95 estate comes a poor second & the Audi RS4/6 third).
As mentioned before ( and applicable to both variants), it's the front profile that's most appealing & something the designers got spot-on. I think the front looks mean & angry - just like a fast car should. :)

I use a little test every time I park my car. If I walk away and then look back and think "yep, that looks good"- I keep the car. I've been doing this for the last two years with the Legnum. ;)

jalford
13-12-2004, 09:24 PM
I've only gone and bought a Legnum. :D :rolleyes5

Pick it up on Wednesday night.

I'll post some pictures up when I get it.

I've just bought an estate, personally I prefer the look of an estate car and I also need the room.
Got mine from Charlesworths at Donnington, think they've got two others left, a silver and a green, both estates, really nice people to deal with.

Dave

That's where I got mine from Dave. One of the green ones. Saw your new car there too. Looks very nice. Understand they're driving it down to you tomorrow. Bet you can't wait. :hurrah:

KiwiTT
13-12-2004, 09:41 PM
My wife said, I can get any car a like so long as it has 4 decent seats.

The Saloon is more of an "Executive" car. Just a little more class

The Estate is more of a personal/family car.

But, I like the looks of them both.

nick-f1
13-12-2004, 10:04 PM
I've only gone and bought a Legnum. :D :rolleyes5

Pick it up on Wednesday night.

I'll post some pictures up when I get it.
:hurrah:

Good one! :thumb1: :beerclash Prepare for that grin on first time drive to becoming a permanent fixture, the buzz will never go away....... good luck and enjoy

Regards

Nick

Nick Mann
13-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Heh! And by the results of your own poll, you KNOW you made the right choice!!

And another VR4 in Brum! I can feel a mini meet coming on...!

DaveLee71
14-12-2004, 02:58 AM
Can't wait until later and Jack brings it over.
Who did you deal with. They are a really nice bunch of people and easy to get along with.
Hope you like your car as much as I'm going to like mine!!
Post up some more pics as soon as I get it.
Did you get the one with the cream leather, I'll be honest I didn't get as far as that one after seeing and driving my purple one, I knew it was the one for me and with the little fella I didn't fancy trying to get blackcurrent juice stains off the leather!!
What spec you got with it, got different wheels and nice stainless backbox with mine. Go on make me sick!!!!!
Dave

Spirit
14-12-2004, 08:48 AM
And another VR4 in Brum! I can feel a mini meet coming on...!

How about a mini meet in the middle - around the Bristol sort of area - reckon thats about 90 mins each tops and we can get quite a few then ?

Polabear
14-12-2004, 10:16 AM
How about a mini meet in the middle - around the Bristol sort of area - reckon thats about 90 mins each tops and we can get quite a few then ?

YEAY!!! A mini LEGNUM meet....... :lipsrseal :wiggle: :boing3: :boing4: :hurrah: :beerbang: lets do it sooooooooooon I need another meet.... :-D

Spirit
14-12-2004, 06:19 PM
YEAY!!! A mini LEGNUM meet.......

Well if you want to make it full of common cars...................... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p

interlec on tour
14-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Well if you want to make it full of common cars...................... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p
or the most popular peoples choice !! :-D :-D

Spirit
14-12-2004, 06:29 PM
or the most popular peoples choice !! :-D :-D

Oi, sod off back to your beer :p

interlec on tour
14-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Oi, sod off back to your beer :p

27__11 about sums it up Pete !!! LEGNUMS ROCK !! :-b :hurrah: :beerbang: :thumb1:

Spirit
14-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Just means saloon owners don't need to shout about it so much - they prefer to keep the stealth element.......oh bollox to it, blah, blah, blah who cares......they both KICK ASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/exits stage left and avoids future meet around the Avon/Somerset area :lipsrseal

landy
14-12-2004, 11:00 PM
I use a little test every time I park my car. If I walk away and then look back and think "yep, that looks good"- I keep the car. I've been doing this for the last two years with the Legnum. ;)

Yep I agree, same here. You just can't help turning around to take on last look after parking up. Each time I look I think 'bloody hell. That's mine that is' :D with a big grin.

pezza
15-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Yep I agree, same here. You just can't help turning around to take on last look after parking up. Each time I look I think 'bloody hell. That's mine that is' :D with a big grin.

Its just dawned on me thats what I do... walk away keep lookin back... n thinking what a mean lookin mota!! :-b

J.A.P.
16-12-2004, 09:46 AM

What's happening with yours at the moment, Pez, I thought you were going to have to replace it? I still haven't got my spoiler fitted, the Mitsu mechanic said he couldn't do it - I think he was being arsey because I'd had it painted elsewhere. He also said the front suspension had been fitted wrongly - then found out that he himself fitted it. I think he's left now, which is good as he also damaged one of the rear shocks when he fitted that and I've had to order a replacement which still hasn't come. Not bad for £50+ an hour. :furious3:

Big Ian
16-12-2004, 11:09 AM
i find that ther's no need to turn and look,as folk have alway's got a nice comment to make about how mine look's
my sister in law has everyone's picture in her mobile phone next to there name & number,except mine? she has a picture of my car instead!! :laugh:

pezza
16-12-2004, 12:08 PM
What's happening with yours at the moment, Pez, I thought you were going to have to replace it? I still haven't got my spoiler fitted, the Mitsu mechanic said he couldn't do it - I think he was being arsey because I'd had it painted elsewhere. He also said the front suspension had been fitted wrongly - then found out that he himself fitted it. I think he's left now, which is good as he also damaged one of the rear shocks when he fitted that and I've had to order a replacement which still hasn't come. Not bad for £50+ an hour. :furious3:

Hi J.A.P.

The car saga is moving along OK I will update you on that shortly before the :topic: gets thrown at me LOL

Hope that you get your suspension rectified soon too... Was the work carried out at Mitsu garage? Do you have to pay for a replacement out of your own pocket?

Did Ian scare you off fitting the spoiler yourself? :D

Cheers

PS: I vote for the estate/wagon. again :)

Big Ian
16-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi J.A.P.

Cheers

OOOOoooo! i never did....did i? :sad3:

how dose it fit? bolt's or screw's has it got plastic stud's like VR4 one's?

J.A.P.
17-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi J.A.P.

The car saga is moving along OK I will update you on that shortly before the :topic: gets thrown at me LOL

Hope that you get your suspension rectified soon too... Was the work carried out at Mitsu garage? Do you have to pay for a replacement out of your own pocket?

Cheers

No they did it for free. The replacement came today so I'm booking it in/
. The front end feels great now its set up properly, much more precise.

Yeah Ian got all technical with words like drilling, heat and shed, the idea of a firmly attached wonky spoiler put me off.

I prefer the estate too - like the angular rear's contrast with the curvy nose.