PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading headlights

LudviG
28-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my headlights, and with that i ponder about some stuff.

I often see projection headlights, but they have projectors on both or just the short beam. And as the police here are stopping everything with aftermarked HID, i wondered how is projectors with nomal halogen bulbs in? Is the lights still good?

The high beam will be HID anyway, cause u never use that when meeting cars anyway :)

crazydriver81
28-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I'd personally not go for HID on high beam. HID bulbs need a couple of seconds to get to full brightness. You don't want to wait on high beam, surely.

How strict are the cops in Norway? Do they know the meaning of all the symbols and letters on your headlights (E-Mark, HR/HL markings etc.)? If not, I'd install some of the Bi-Xenon projector lens kits, as some of us have already done. Easy job that is and you get low/high beam Xenon.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51046&d=1328521932

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51047&d=1328521935

Same legal thing in Germany btw. The cops will recognize HID-bulbs in Halogen reflector headlights, but will they see that theses projector lenses are retro fitted? I guess not...

LudviG
28-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I am not sure what they see and not, but they sure are strict. They will understand that i 98 galant dont have HID i believe.

What is Bi-Xenon anyway?

And i also wonder how will the light be from a halogen bulb through a projector lens?

crazydriver81
28-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Bi-Xenon means low beam and high beam Xenon from one lens. This is a projector lens with a solenoid. This solenoid is moving a diaphragm (or light pattern) plate.

In other words, low beam is with the diaphragm in place, for high beam the diaphragm would be moved out of the way. Hence in high beam more light will be allowed to come out of the lens.

As for Xenon, are there other obligations you have to fulfill, in order to have Xenons installed? In Germany, you must have automatic levelling and headlight washer nozzles, than it's 100% legal.

LudviG
28-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Much the same here, but.... what cars have automatic levelling without original xenon? None.......

Have u tried halogen bulbs through projectorlenses?

crazydriver81
28-02-2012, 05:23 PM
No, I haven't. You have the sport edition estate, right? Your foglights are projector lens lights, so the light coming out of the headlights will be pretty much the same (with a different light pattern of course).

I doubt that it'll have any benefit, as the brightness is the same between Halogen reflector and halogen projector (simply because the bulbs have the same Watts). A benefit could be projector lenses with 80W or 100W bulbs. This will give a brighter light, but manly because of the higher wattage of the bulbs...

LudviG
28-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes i have the Sport Edition Estate. It is actually originally German. I dont have those fog lights anymore, but the VR-4 fogs i have now also got lenses i mean.

The reason i ask, is that i still would like to have halogen on the short beam, and the lights i have been looking at has lenses on both short and high beam. But the shortbeam wont be worse than it is now with projector lens?

crazydriver81
28-02-2012, 05:51 PM
But the shortbeam wont be worse than it is now with projector lens? Don't think so.

jayp
28-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Halogen projector lights do make quite a bit of difference do to having a more even spread of light. I had these on my mondeo a couple of years ago. The halogen with reflectors tend to give relatively patchy light on road I find.

Sent from my HTC Desire S