PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption

Ultra VR-4
06-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Hey guys, INSERT INTO post VALUES (& gals)

Just wondering if your VR-4's are as hungary on gas as mine?
I use BP Ultimate 98... cost me around $40>$50 for a full tank, which will get me about 2 hundred something Kms...

All in all it costs me about $80 to $120 per week on gas!
:shrug:

plastic maori
07-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Hey everyone in NZ cool we have our own forum

anyway yes my VR-4 is hungary for gas I use BP Ultimate 98 aswell and find myself standing at the pump again 200-250km down the road:mad: :mad2:

tunes
07-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Only had mine off the boat for about a week now so haven't had the chance to test it's consumption. My last car was a Legnum St GDI which could get me from Auckland to Wellington on a single tank... Loved it!

-LegnumVR4-
07-07-2003, 09:16 AM
You'll find the VR-4 the complete oppsite tunes:D

I can get about 300 -350km on a full tank, more if i drive it nice.

Look into getting the exhaust sorted, check for other posts by me about exhausts. Helps getting better mileage:hurrah:

Pescha
07-07-2003, 09:41 AM
I haven't yet tried how much I can get out of a tank with the increase of petrol prices. But where I live there is no 98 but I use 96 and on the $1.02 I could get approximate 450 kms... But I drive 36kms per day to work along state highway one and thats it. I hardly drive in the city, if I do its to get the food shopping once a fortnight!

cheers,
Pescha!

plastic maori
07-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Ok so either i'm setting my tripmeter at the wrong time or ultra vr4 & myself have a very heavy foot:Ponder: :Ponder:
Mind you that is mostly town driving as i always bloody forget to reset the tripmeter when I go out of town:shrug:
But I find it hard to get a good milage/tank when everyone else on the road just wants to race you:mad2: :Scream1:

Pescha
07-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Tell me about it with the racing... I'm a boy racer INSERT INTO post VALUES (girl) anyway, go check out the kill section lol.... But I only play with cars that I know that are worth giving ago... But I'm very tempted to blow away anything! This weekend 11th friday and the 12 saturday I'm up in Auckland, so it will be interesting to see how she goes petrol wise and boy racer wise lol...

Pescha!

MentalDev
07-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Yep I'm in the 300km per tank bracket and sometimes less, yep drive with a lead foot, last car, 300ZXTT did about the same 300km but had a larger tank :)

Cheers, Jason

demon
28-07-2003, 06:40 AM
I,ve had my Vr4 manual wagon for 6 weeks. I get 520km's for a tank at 57litres! Used 3 tanks, all around the same. That works out at 9km/ltr or 11ltr/100km. This is much better than expected. I also have a 2.5 v6 Galant, non turbo which I get 740km's easy INSERT INTO post VALUES (the tank is 4ltr bigger with no rear diff). My last 2ltr manaul Galant I was getting 840 out of a tank, my record was 920kms!!
The only thing non standard about my Vr4 is a new K&N filter which will help fuel consumption, everything else seems to be straight factory. Any high performance mod's will obviously increase the fun, but will use more gas even when just cruising.
I agree that the higher octane fuel is the best way to go, the engine is designed to run on it an it works out no more expensive.
Most people freak out when the fuel needle reaches the empty line, you can go much lower, check out the litres dispensed at the pump, you have a 60ltr tank!.
INSERT INTO post VALUES (wear some slippers if you want to save gas, or just keep hooning)

EdmundVR4
28-07-2003, 06:42 PM
How do you get 520km's/tank ? I would have thought it was impossible.
My best is 380 km's mostly highway driving averaging 110 kph. My average is 290-310 km's for 52-54 litres.

Roadrunner
28-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Best I've ever managed is around 400km, but it took 56 litres after that! Usual is around 370km and 52 litres. But, with 98 octane in the UK at around 0.82p/litre INSERT INTO post VALUES (that's about $2.26/litre in NZ, or $120 a tankful, or about $1,200 a month! :eek: ); it's not cheap. Still, I didn't buy this car to worry about the cost of fuel ;) or insurance ;) or servicing ;) :D

Brian

demon
29-07-2003, 01:43 AM
I don't do anything sly, just drive "normal", add some fuel conditioner and use the air-con on Econo or Off when not needed. The Air-con just sucks power anyway.
Make sure tyre pressure is right, low pressure sucks gas.
I thought my usage was pretty good, esp when you hear about the Subaru turbo's

mossy
01-08-2003, 10:50 AM
i'm with you demon and my best tankful works out at around 520 kms INSERT INTO post VALUES (open road at around 110kph before i bought my radar detector)...my worst when i first got the car INSERT INTO post VALUES (around town and taking mates for a skite and a thrash).
these poms must be drinking the stuff as well or feeding their rugby team on it...perhaps we should tell john mitchell before the world cup...imagine rokococo on a tank of "98"

tunes
07-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Around town - 400+ Kms
Open road - will let you know after the weekend

jtfleming
08-08-2003, 01:15 AM
If you want good fuel economy get a 1.8GDi. I got 911ks out of a tank of gas, with A/C on, 2 adults, 2 kids and a boot full of stuff!!! Round town its more like 650ks but still not bad for a reasonably heavy car.

tunes
08-08-2003, 07:16 AM
My last car was a 1.8 GDI and i agree that the economy was amazing!

Japmetal
09-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by jtfleming
If you want good fuel economy get a 1.8GDi.

Originally posted by tunes
My last car was a 1.8 GDI and i agree that the economy was amazing!

Who are these people ?

Could we have a pipe, slippers & knee-rug emergency kit STAT!!

If you guys think your VR4s are thirsty, my I4 2.0 GTi does about 24mpg, maybe more/less depending how much i behave [or dont, as the case may be !]

jtfleming
09-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Whats so funny about getting the worst fuel economy, sometimes it means your car needs tuning properly as a poorly tuned engine can lead to expensive and unnessary repairs. I for one hate to spend money fixing stuff and on fuel, I would rather spend the money modifiying something:D

tunes
10-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Finally got the car out on the open road for the weekend. A full tank $60 of 98 got me about 590 Kms. I have spoken to a number of friends who own other models with similar sized engines and the legnums as a whole come up pretty damn economical.

Japmetal
10-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by jtfleming
Whats so funny about getting the worst fuel economy, sometimes it means your car needs tuning properly as a poorly tuned engine can lead to expensive and unnessary repairs. I for one hate to spend money fixing stuff and on fuel, I would rather spend the money modifiying something:D

See, now I'm aware of these points, but seeing as this is the VR4 forum, I think you'd expect them to be at least a little heavy on the ole' juice & whatever else we buy them for, it is most definately NOT for good fuel economy.

AND, jsut for the record, I cant find official figures for the GTI fuel consumtion, but I know that what I get is around what it should be [remember, mine is about 10 years old when the word 'economy' hadnt been invented yet [in relation to engines, at least]

demon
11-08-2003, 05:46 AM
Hey, Tunes, you are the man, what a challenge you have laid down. 590k is pretty good, but i bet I can out-do that!!
This is quite a funny subject really 'cos i would have thought that VR4 owners wouldn't care less about fuel use. I was wrong in thinking I was the only one! The funniest thing is guys and gals skiting about how bad their car gussles gas..

jtfleming
11-08-2003, 07:58 AM
Demon, challange you to a fuel economy run!!!!:arse:

4me
11-08-2003, 11:11 AM
I've only had my VR4 for four weeks or so, but so far INSERT INTO post VALUES (assuming as others have said I don't plant my right foot too often) I get about the same milage between fillups INSERT INTO post VALUES (and about the same cost for gas +/- $5) as I did from the Mazda MX-6 v6 INSERT INTO post VALUES (naturally aspirated); which considering we're talking a difference of two turbo-chargers, 1/2 litre, and about 120hp isn't too bad.

My brother's 1.8 Lancer MR definately does tend to get a little further out of a tank than me though INSERT INTO post VALUES (funny that).

4me
11-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Hey demon, I'm only just down the coast from you, close enough to really give that economy run a go one sunny day!

jtfleming
11-08-2003, 08:50 PM
I'll even drive with the A/C on. Hang the expense...Ba Ha Ha:sunny:

tunes
11-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Go hard demon!

Regardless of what car a person drives i think that most are aware and concious of fuel economy. Basic common sense with regards to money i guess.

demon
11-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Look here jtFleming, even towing a caravan, aircon on, a load of concrete in boot, your 1.8GDI will use less gas than my VR4 on the back of a car trailer!!
4me, I wll post a message here if an economy run is a go! Might end up in a hoon-fest instead!.
That will p*ss jtF off!! INSERT INTO post VALUES (edited by spirit979)

jtfleming
11-08-2003, 10:28 PM
No it won't, you guys will be too busy filling up!!!:Cry1: :Cry1:

demon
12-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Sorry, i meant to say annoy, or bother , will leave the P word out next time..
Hey, JTF, you know they say the only thing a VR4 can't pass is a petrol station!

jtfleming
12-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Hey there DEMON, Are you offering to buy me a towbar so I can tow your broken down POS!!!!:devil1: