PDA

View Full Version : Boost Leak

gadboy007
29-02-2012, 09:42 PM
OK I've searched on here for ages and can't seem to find the answer! Maybe just me not looking in the right thread!!
I've read a lot about people checking for boost leak, but can't seem to find any explanation of how you do this!
When I put my foot down, the car coughs and splutters at anything over about 6 psi. It still gets up to silly speeds, but seems to take a while to get there, as I say, coughing as she goes!
I have read about using a compressor and soapy water to check for leaks, but being a novice,dont want to wreck anything in the process! Is there any easy way to check if I have a leak? If I use a compressor and soapy water,where do I attach the compressor? Do I have to keep the pressure at a certain PSI? Like I say, I'm a novice at this sort of thing, so any comments,advice,abuse,would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in anticipation guys.
Ian

Wobble
29-02-2012, 09:45 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?51541-boost-leek-finding-day-19-9-TRING&highlight=boost+leek+finding+day

post 168 has pics of how to do and where to do it ,the psi is in there somewhere but i will let you read through all this lol

gadboy007
29-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Cheers for that Dave, a little light bedtime reading :stars:

Davezj
29-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Just make sure you have very good control over the pressure and are capable of increasing it gently from 0 psi to 14psi, and no more then 20ish psi. It is very easy to over pressureise the system buy a few bar which is a massive amount and damage things, like wastegate actuators, intercooler, gaskets, etc.
Most compressor regulators are not capable of doing this very fine control of the pressure. You will normally have to use a second lower pressure regulator to do the control. Set the compressor regulator to 2bar (24psi) then the second regulator is used to set it down it the lower pressure.

Hope this makes sense.

gadboy007
29-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Cheers Dave, yeah it sort of makes sense! I've got to get a secondary regulator to fix to the regulator hose on my compressor?:dizzy2:

Davezj
29-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Try this thread,
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?60067-Pressure-testing-boost-pipework

Wait for the pic to come up in the post I did.
And you will see the stuff I used to do the testing.
By the way mdf is porrus so a coating if glue, varnish or gloss paint on the side that does not have the pipe coming from it is a good idea as you can hear the air rushing through the mdf, which a weird observation.

gadboy007
02-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Think I may have found the problem!!

After opening the bonnet and not knowing where to start,:uhoh2: I, for some unknown reason, looked under the front of the car. and spotted a red hose coming from the bov. This hose was split where it joins onto the bov nipple, I cut the split part off and reattached it to the bov. I took it for a spin and it seems to respond a lot better :dance: Its still not as good as when I first got the car, but am now thinking I need a damn good service, (and so does the car!!). Could it really be that simple? A little split in a hose no more than about 6mm thick that was giving me all that coughing and spluttering? Lets hope so as I really dont fancy doing a full pressure test /Hissy

Wobble
02-03-2012, 11:12 PM
could well be that simple , good / lucky find