PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel lock: Doesn't work

RocketD0G
29-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Hello,

I've got a slight problem with MOT.

Is there a steering wheel lock on the Galant VR-4 -98 Facelift?
And if so, is it mechanic or electric?

The problem is, that I need a working one. And when i pull my key out and turn the wheel slightly it wont lock.
So I'm facing 2 problems here. Do I have a steering wheel lock that is broken, or doesn't it have one at all?

If its broken: How do i fix it?
If it's not even there: What to do? :huh2:

I hope someone is able to help me figure this out.

- John

SEAN-NZ
29-02-2012, 11:29 PM
y do you need a steering lock anyway? did they fail you on it?

Nick Mann
29-02-2012, 11:30 PM
You should have one. It sometimes takes more than a small turn for it to engage though.

GalantOnly
29-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Turn it 90 degrees and it will engage

RocketD0G
29-02-2012, 11:42 PM
y do you need a steering lock anyway? did they fail you on it?

Yes Sean, They failed me on it :(

You should have one. It sometimes takes more than a small turn for it to engage though.

Well, I was turning the weel heavily from right to left and it didn't lock.

Turn it 90 degrees and it will engage

I tried that.

Is this a usual problem?

-John

kiteman
29-02-2012, 11:59 PM

For starters its purely mechanical, its a spring loaded bolt that slots into a recess on the steering column.
Theres only the one slot so somewhere in the 360 degree turn the spring loaded bolt should slot into place.
I suggest you remove the top and bottom cowling on the steering column, and look up from beneath, where the ignition lock meets the steering column. It may be something simple and obvious.
Is it a usual problem ?, I've not heard of it before.

RocketD0G
01-03-2012, 12:04 AM

For starters its purely mechanical, its a spring loaded bolt that slots into a recess on the steering column.
Theres only the one slot so somewhere in the 360 degree turn the spring loaded bolt should slot into place.
I suggest you remove the top and bottom cowling on the steering column, and look up from beneath, where the ignition lock meets the steering column. It may be something simple and obvious.
Is it a usual problem ?, I've not heard of it before.

I lift my hat for you, mate. Thanks for the explanation.

But since there's no *Click* sound when i pull the key out of ignition. I believe there's something broken.
But that sounds pretty straight-forward so I'll have a look at that.

-John

kiteman
01-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I lift my hat for you, mate. Thanks for the explanation.

But since there's no *Click* sound when i pull the key out of ignition. I believe there's something broken.
But that sounds pretty straight-forward so I'll have a look at that.

-John

John you will only hear the click when you rotate the steering wheel and line up the bolt with the slot in the column. Thats providing everything is working properly.

RocketD0G
01-03-2012, 12:48 AM
John you will only hear the click when you rotate the steering wheel and line up the bolt with the slot in the column. Thats providing everything is working properly.

Thanks for the tip, Tommie.
But I'm not close to the garage at the moment. What if I turn the wheel 360* and it doesn't lock?

Do you have any ideas where the problem might be then? I mean if it wont actually fall in the slot and lock the wheel?
I bet some grease might help too. No idea what the car's been trough before I bought it.

-John

GalantOnly
01-03-2012, 03:49 AM
You must hear the click sound, when you take the ignition key out...

Ryan
01-03-2012, 04:00 AM
I can't understand why one would fail an MOT for something that has nothing to do with driving safely or the safety of the vehicle in general?

jayp
01-03-2012, 07:16 AM
This is now part of the new rules. However, they should not gave failed you for it until April 1st, unroll then it is an advisory only. If I were you I would contest the failure, they should back down pretty quick.

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Anderz
01-03-2012, 08:09 AM
If you don't hear a click sound when you remove the key, the steering wheel lock won't engage. Sounds like the problem is in the lock cylinder, it could be as simple as lack of lubrication. If the lock cylinder is worn, it is a changeable part

RocketD0G
01-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Cant be arsed arguing about them failing me because of the lock, I got the lock working today. :)

I did as Tommie said, Opened everything up and lubricated everything that i thought might move. A bottle of weaponlubricant was all I used.
Then I turned the wheel from full left to right. And it locked I was turning it to the right, allmost a full turn to the right. Then it clicked in place! :guitarist

Thanks for this help guys. I would still sit clueless infront of the computer if it weren't for you!

Now I just need to fix the second bonnet lock for the CF bonnet, and something to hold the carbattery in place. And I'll be driving the VR4 soon!

-John

kiteman
01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Cant be arsed arguing about them failing me because of the lock, I got the lock working today. :)

I did as Tommie said, Opened everything up and lubricated everything that i thought might move. A bottle of weaponlubricant was all I used.
Then I turned the wheel from full left to right. And it locked I was turning it to the right, allmost a full turn to the right. Then it clicked in place! :guitarist

Thanks for this help guys. I would still sit clueless infront of the computer if it weren't for you!

Now I just need to fix the second bonnet lock for the CF bonnet, and something to hold the carbattery in place. And I'll be driving the VR4 soon!

-John
I like happy endings.

thfelipeth
02-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I like happy endings. lol i agree :) glad its sorted

RocketD0G
03-03-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm happy too :) I'm planning on having my car ready for use 20.3.2012.
I'm just trying to pick out some alloys at the moment.

Thanks again for all the help mates!

-John