PDA

View Full Version : clicking boost solenoid

gallvr4
04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
firstly i did do a search...but could not fine anything relayted to my problem.

came out this morning and started the car too warm it up befour heading too the shops,and noticised that the boost solenoid valve/relay was clicking all the time....even with the iginotion just on!!

parked up at the shops and it was still clicking and went off when the controller went off.

clicking all the way home aswell.noticed that the boost reading were a bit off...3.38 bar!!!!! at 60mph.

slowed down too 30 and floored it and the reading stayed the same...3.38 +/-2

i have an Apexi AVCR set to 0.9bar

car drives fine with no issues,maby a little down on power??

so my question:

boost solenoid valve/relay fecked,stuck open/closed?? or can it be taken apart and cleaned out/repaired??

anyone ever seen/heard of this befour

thanks for your help in advance

brendan

Davezj
04-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Have you moved the solenoid recently.
Mine can click constantly if it is turned at a particular angle, e.g. Up side down.
But as soon as it is turned round it stops clicking, I assume it is to do with the valve inside.

gallvr4
04-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Have you moved the solenoid recently.
Mine can click constantly if it is turned at a particular angle, e.g. Up side down.
But as soon as it is turned round it stops clicking, I assume it is to do with the valve inside.

no dave have'nt moved it myself,and still in the same position it always has been in.
will take it out tomorrow and change position.
can'nt understand boost reading....displaying 3.3 bar.hopeing the AVCR not breaking down somehow,
but i'm thinking the two are related!!

brendan

Davezj
05-03-2012, 12:08 AM
if you haven't moved it, don't worry about what i said.

gallvr4
05-03-2012, 08:53 PM
anyone got a apexi boost pressure sensor for an AVCR for sale??

like this one in the link below:

http://apexi-usa.com/shop/index.php/avc-r-pressure-sensor-electronics-access.html

jjayokocha
15-03-2012, 07:54 PM
would a dodgy solenoid make a whining/clicking noise coming onto to boost @ around 2.5-3k?

gallvr4
16-03-2012, 10:17 PM
right still haveing trouble with this and could really do with a point in the right direction!!!

so still haveing the same issues as on the first post,got a new map sensor and sensor cable because
i took the old unit apart and the little chip was all damp and corroid,so fitted the new unit and cable,still no luck.
so after that i desided to take the boost solenoide apart as after a bit of resarch on the net,the unit can
get blocked up with crap and stuff.mine was clean.while i had it off i put 12v on the solenoide and it clicked as it should.

so gutted and pissed off with it now i went too the ECU wireing side of things,went thru wireing manual and checked each conection
one by one and all seemed to be correct.replaced any connection that i taught were suspect.......again still the same result

so a couple of question.....

on the AVCR you have a sencor check function.....only gitting 1.2V reading on the boost display...should this be 5V???
do ye reckon the controller in the car is done for??

any help desperetly needed and greatfully appreciated

brendan.

jjayokocha
17-03-2012, 10:31 AM
i think that may be right, does it not rise to 5v under boost?

gallvr4
17-03-2012, 12:27 PM
i think that may be right, does it not rise to 5v under boost?

no it dose'nt move under boost,stays around 1.2 v all the time!!!

psbarham
17-03-2012, 12:43 PM
sounds like a map sensor fault, but if you've changed it then that ruled that out.
have you checked all the wiring?
the only other thing is to initialize the unit which will remove all settings, its possible that the unit has got its self confused after the bad sensor.

gallvr4
18-03-2012, 02:50 PM
sounds like a map sensor fault, but if you've changed it then that ruled that out.
have you checked all the wiring?
the only other thing is to initialize the unit which will remove all settings, its possible that the unit has got its self confused after the bad sensor.

thanks for the repley paul....

ya new map sensor fitted and stripped the boost solidened,cleaned and fitted back.
removed all the wireing and checked all conections
i did initialize the unit but still da same.

chatting too gowf yesterday and he reckons that it done for so on the hunt for a replacement unit......

do you have any yourself??

thanks again

brendan

psbarham
18-03-2012, 06:40 PM
thanks for the repley paul....

ya new map sensor fitted and stripped the boost solidened,cleaned and fitted back.
removed all the wireing and checked all conections
i did initialize the unit but still da same.

chatting too gowf yesterday and he reckons that it done for so on the hunt for a replacement unit......

thanks again

brendan

Bugger, its unusual for an apexi to die,

unfortunately I haven't got any ebc's.

psbarham
19-03-2012, 04:39 PM

thanks again

brendan

I may have come across one. just awaiting details and price
I think its a HKS one.

gallvr4
19-03-2012, 04:44 PM
I may have come across one. just awaiting details and price
I think its a HKS one.

nice...if you can PM ur number to me and i'll give you a ring later.....internet here droping on and off!!

thanks paul

gallvr4
02-04-2012, 03:06 PM
right ..... good news....."sorted"

the problem was...........

wait for it..........

"faulty map sensor"

i mean the new one i got from flebay which was (i was told) brand new!!!! me bollox

after buying a new AVCR(i mean brand spanking new) from a chap in dublin,it was still the same problem....
pissed off was an understatment...

so i pulled into my rolling road man on the way home and he had a look....
it did'nt take him long too tell me it was a crap map sensor i had bought and replaced it with the new unit in
the new AVCR kit i bought an hour befour......

car running 100% and boosting 0.95 easley.

big thanks to all that helped and advised me on this!!!

moral off the stoy......always buy original parts!!!!

thanks again

brendan

CVR4 ROCKS!!!!!!