PDA

View Full Version : custom FL grille try-out

MarkSanne
04-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Started today with a little project that I've had stuck in my head for months. I'd like to put a FL grille on the VR4 PFL that is now on the VR2 (my V6 N/A FL customized front bumper is off since the misses drove into a tow hook...). I'll chop the PFL front bumper bits off that are in the way to let the FL grille fit snug.

But to just put a regular FL grille on sounded too easy ofcourse, and there's where my idea finally came into play: I've cut out the centre part out of the FL grille and try to put in as original looking meshing. I've done the rough work now, plastic-welded pieces back in.

This is it now:

And this is how the mesh should look:

And finished:
Just imagine it freshly painted!

The Vee
04-03-2012, 07:16 PM
But to just put a regular FL grille on sounded too easy ofcourse,

I know that feeling all too well!!

Look forward to pics on the car.

MarkSanne
28-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Today I finally restarted this little project and after hours of sanding, using filler, sanding, using more filler, sanding, using even more filler, etc I ended up putting the thing in a first layer of primer:

When it's finished and painted I'll put in some waiting-to-be-used black mesh that looks very much the same as the original Mitsi mesh did.

Danzul
28-05-2012, 08:54 PM
looking good! and givng me ideas....

andyleaves
30-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah me too.
Bought a spare grill off of Stever-vr4 last year or the year before been sitting there waiting for me to do somthing...

sampsulo
30-05-2012, 01:36 PM
very nice!

MarkSanne
26-02-2013, 08:17 PM
OMG... I am slow! Almost a year ago I started this idea and only just tonight finished it!

I bought some black (aluminium) mesh that looks really identical to original mitsi (plastic) mesh, cause I don't want to be obvious that it's custom. I like stuff to look like it could be factory yet isn't at all.

Same goes for the front bumper: I modified it in several places:
- tow hook cover plastic welded to the bumper and filled up with putty
- enlarged the JAP/UK sized numberplate area to house our superwide euro plates
- chopped of a piece or the lower part of the square numberplate plastic (get more air in!)
- chopped of the ridge on the top of the PFL bumper to house the (customized) FL grille
- chopped of the lower side-parts that always annoy me and scrape over large bumps

Mark 4
26-02-2013, 08:40 PM
So when are you starting on mine ?

chugg
26-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Top job Mark, a nice and clean look.

:pimp2:

MarkSanne
26-02-2013, 08:56 PM
So when are you starting on mine ?

Could take me another year Mark ;)
And that just getting started again!

To be honest, it's nice to do these kind of things, especially when they turn out to be what you expected/wanted, but the amount of work in these kind of customizations is insane! Well at least for me, as I try to get it just right to the best of my (amateur) abilities. Now let's wait to see how long it takes the misses to smash this new setup to pieces. Again.

That said: I've already done another little 'open mouth' grille project, but then for a pre-facelift grille.
"But Mark, you could've just bought one of those, albeit in chrome!"
I know, but as said before: that would be much too easy! And beside the chrome, the real thing that I don't like about those ready-made open-mouth grilles is the mesh. It's not Mitsi-like enough for me. So that customized one will go on my other Galoon (the tame V6 N/A), when that thing gets painted I'll post up some pics of that customized bumper + grill combo.

MarkSanne
27-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Just one quick snapshot at daylight!

Mark 4
27-02-2013, 08:23 PM
I totally agree Mark and I know that a lot of others do.

It's about what you want and how you want it. I have spent countless hours doing things that turned out well and things that were just a waste of time.

Even now, some of the things that turned out well are getting scrapped.

Beats watching soaps though.

The Vee
28-02-2013, 09:28 AM
I totally agree Mark and I know that a lot of others do.

It's about what you want and how you want it. I have spent countless hours doing things that turned out well and things that were just a waste of time.

Even now, some of the things that turned out well are getting scrapped.

Beats watching soaps though.

Oh Yes!!

That looks like a beautifully crafted job Mark. Very clean look too.