PDA

View Full Version : fuel supply / V6 N/A & TT

crazydriver81
05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
@ all gurus out there, I stumbled across some differences between part numbers within ASA and I need some input from you here. Hope someone can be of help.

As some of you know I have converted my 25 ST-R to a VR-4 engine setup. Now I recognized part number differnces within ASA for the fuel tank assembly, as well as for the fuel pump itself. The only thing different is the fuel pump itself it seems.

My questions are:
- Why is there a part number difference? Anyone know the flow rates for V6 N/A and VR-4 fuel pumps?
- If I need to uprate the fuel pump, may I consider a Walbro pump?
- Can a walbro pump be installed without having a FPR installed? Or is there anything special to be aware of?

Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

swinks
05-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Please don't quote me on these answers Stefan, but:
- yes, I think there are two different flow ratios for fuel pumps, turbo and n/a
- yes, you can swap fuel pump for Walbro, TRE or Aeromotive without having adjustable fpr fitted, all pressure is regulated by stock fpr selenoid
- just be aware that some aftermarket fuel pumps require only solid steady +12V feed, vs. stock fuel have regulated voltage from +7V, so may not work properly (in that case I would consider also hard-wiring)
- also mentioned above fuel pumps are tiny bit shorter so mounting bracket needs to be "adjusted" (easy job anyway)

Nick Mann
05-03-2012, 11:28 PM
It is possible to overwhelm a stock FPR with a high flow pump that is hard wired. Otherwise exaclty what Mr Swinks said, as far as I know!

crazydriver81
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the quick response. :iloveyou:

Off to buy a new fuel pump then... /haz

Gly
07-03-2012, 06:54 AM
you can run the walbro or tre on stock wiring, and stock fpr, and should not be an issue.

but keep in mind the figures they quote to support 500hp is uaually at 13.7v
you will need to hot wire to reach this voltage. and at this point you will need to change fpr.

you only really need to hotwire, if your running more boost, or a non stock map and need more fuel.

crazydriver81
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Carsten, thanks for the hint. Don't plan to raise boost so no need for hotwire the fuel pump.

By the way, I went through this old thread here http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?4582-Friday-afternoon-mods-fuel-pump

Can anybody please confirm that the fitment issues described (slight movement of pump) are only valid with non-Walbro pumps? Or is that an issue when fitting the Walbro too? I want to have an genuine Walbro GSS342, no TRE or whatsoever copy.

swinks
07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Stefa, it's also issue regarding Walbro pump. As said before they are few mm shorter so top bracked needs to be altered.
And to be honest if you want to get top mark fuel pump go for Aeromotive one. Same price like Walbro, much better. Otherwise I can't see any reason why pay 40% more for Walbro if you have same quality TRE one.
BTW, pumps with offset "xxx42" will fit.

c0xxy
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
i didnt have to adjust anything on the hanger when i fitted my tre pump. and car still starting first time every time
ash

crazydriver81
07-03-2012, 04:03 PM
does anybody know where to get a TRE pump in UK or Europe? Don't fancy all the hazzle with customs when buying in the US...