PDA

View Full Version : blow off valve problem...(gfb brand)

ShadyNZer
10-12-2004, 07:23 AM
hey, i got a lil prob with my valve, i was lookin around the net wondering wat type my valve is (got it for free for my g/fs dad) by lookin at pictures and stuff, anyways i found this one...

http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/40/6072040_full.jpg

compared to my one they look the same, anyways my problem is ive heard the GFB Mach 1s are pretty loud but mine is quiet as hell, have to boost it pretty hard jus to get a good sound and even then im sure its not supposed to be this quiet...so yeah anybody know what might be the problem?? i put up some pics of it just in case it might be something bout the installation....maybe not the type of valve i think it is??? no idea why its so quiet!!! :sad3:

cheers

-LegnumVR4-
10-12-2004, 08:15 AM
U can adjust the spring pressure to allow the valve to open at lower boost pressure. If u release the pressure to much the car will stumble near idle. U need to adjust the spring pressure so the valve will return to close position before the car returns to idle.

U can adjust the pressure by releasing the washer type nut, then turn the main shaft to adjust the pressure. Winding it out gives less pressure.

Also the vac line in ur photos looks a little bit kinked, may want to lengthen the hose line a bit just incase.

Rhys

enigma
10-12-2004, 08:35 AM
I think Rhys is spot on with his kinked vac line observation. This is effectively the control on the piston in the BOV and if it is not 'seeing' the pressure it needs to open, then it wont!

ShadyNZer
10-12-2004, 09:41 AM
ok im noob, is the vac line the bit ive circled?? the lil hose at the bottom thats bent in a munted kinda way?? and do i need to loosen that lil bolt just above it???
mag and turbo installed it for me by the way so i dont know what parts youre talkin bout lol soz....

enigma
10-12-2004, 10:01 AM
You have correctly highlighted the kink! The bolt above it is the adjustment, so only play with this once you have replaced the kinked pipe.

The pipe is held on with a spring clip, use some plyers to squeeze the tabs, this will enable you to remove the pipe from the barbed fitting.

-LegnumVR4-
10-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Big Dave jumps in and saves me the explaining :-D

Geez they installed the valve like that :laugh:

I think Mag and turbo should stick to wheels and tyres, even then they don't get it right. :rolleyes:

ShadyNZer
10-12-2004, 10:25 AM
yeah bloody young dudes too...

thanx for the help, i might leave it for the shop to do, i might eff it up even more...but if i was to do it, could i possibly get a step by step from somewhere on the site? or do you know of somewhere where i could get instructions on how to do it??

cheers

enigma
10-12-2004, 11:19 AM
I dont mean to worry you, but if this vac line splits you will get an air leak and this can have nasty consequences. Get it fixed as soon as you can.

ako
13-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Mate, this isn't rocket science... Rhys and Dave are both right, all you need to do is get yourself some vacuum hose the same diameter (go to repco or similar) and attach it in the same place but make sure its not kinked like it is now. Very straightforward job, and it'll solve the problem.

ShadyNZer
15-12-2004, 11:49 AM
cheers for the help....ill give it a try, probably just need a longer hose huh?? its rocket science to me coz my mechanical skills are noob as hell...

ako
15-12-2004, 10:31 PM
You'll be fiiiiine... What could possibly go wrong :D

Just make sure the hose isn't going to come off too easily (boost can undo things quite well, i normally secure vacuum hoses with a little zip tie for the hell of it) and there's no cuts in it. Saves you paying mag + turbo whatever they decide to sting you for, for 30 seconds work!

ShadyNZer
16-12-2004, 04:17 AM
well i tried it out, sounds WAAAAAAY louder now, tho i think it might have a leak or somethin coz its more of a 'pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' than a 'pshhh' might be what its supposed to sound like...i dunno, prolly juss need to tighten the nut huh??? hmmm but yeah sounds phat now...

Cheers for the advice :-D