PDA

View Full Version : My new clutch

Jesus-Ninja
07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
So, I fitted my new clutch this weekend, and it's had it's first proper drive today - 60 miles to work.

Flippin' 'eck it's an interesting challenge! It has no "in between" - it's either on or off. It's fine on the road when you're moving, but pulling off and slipping the clutch is hard work. It has a 500 mile bedding in period, so it may calm down during that, and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The feel is actually quite light - I'm assuming this is because it's a twin plate. It's rated to 700PS, so huge over kill for my intended use (I'm looking to top 400), but will take some abuse. I hadn't actually realised it was 3-puck paddles when I ordered it, and assumed it would be organic friction plates, but I got a good deal so I chucked it in. Besides, it was really shiny :D

I've had a few "moments" pulling away at the lights etc. It makes me look like a learner driver or someone trying to show off and failing massively. Low speed manoeuvring is interesting too. When I got to work I opted for rolling into a parking bay on a slope, so that I can roll out of it again :embarasse

The only concern is that the engagement is so brutal that I may damage something else in the drive train. Definitely not for the faint hearted!

When I fitted it, I had to rotate the slave cylinder, so I scrapped the pipe work and made up a new line. As part of this, I ditched the damper (I think that's what it is) and I'm wondering if replacing this will change the bite.

lathiat
07-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Give it a couple weeks your foot will get used to it and build up better control, plus it'l bed in a little.

If I don't drive my car for a few weeks I get in and go "holy crap I forget how heavy this clutch pedal is"

Nutter_John
07-03-2012, 08:44 PM
i had a twin plate on the evo and they never settle down that much , you just get used to it

Jesus-Ninja
07-03-2012, 08:55 PM
The pedal is nice and light. It's the unsprung paddles that are so brutal. On or off with no bite!

Gly
08-03-2012, 12:34 AM
yep, the puk style clutches never settle, you just adjust to it,

i still have moments with mine... it gets worse when they warm up from trying to do small movements in heavy traffic/hill starts...

i still have the damper in mine, and ive driven Kenneth's without, and it seamed the same maybe a little easier????

Ryan
08-03-2012, 02:23 AM
I find the same as what Carsten's said. Still haven't stalled it yet... I know it's coming though.

SEAN-NZ
08-03-2012, 03:02 AM
my mate has a vr4 that sounds the same, pretty much on off, seem him stall it a few times, and he says hes done it a few times after driving the work van, i saw why when i had a go in it also

Jesus-Ninja
08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Weirdly - it's loads better today. I think I must have had a brain reset in the middle of the night. Just got to be careful :)