PDA

View Full Version : Springs - Making up a new order advice

VR457
08-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Following on from this thread: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?62436-Springs-standard-but-stiffer&highlight=stiffer+springs

So, this is the plan....
1. Take some Original springs
2. Increase stiffness of springs
3. Balance out wheel arch gap between front and rear
4. Maintain neutral handling without oversteer or understeer

The standard springs are Front Springs: 3.75kg/mm Rear Springs: 2.85kg/mm therefore giving a ratio of 1.33. This gives the car a slight tendency to oversteer. So, a ratio of 1.25 should do it.

Increase stiffness of springs. For a 1.25 ratio this would be say 6kg/mm front and 4.8kg/mm rear.
Do the front / rear arch gap look the same on stock? How much would the front or rear need to drop in order to make the gap look equal?

I am enquiring into getting some custom springs made. Would anyone else be interested in joining this project and getting hold of a set?

Davezj
08-03-2012, 07:53 AM
If you are worried about ride height, the normal way of setting it up is with adjustable coil overs method.
But you already know that.
So you are after a spring change to setup rid height. I don't think that is a practical way of doing it.
As it all depends what you have in the boot. Which will dictate the rear ride height. The front could be more easily controlled and lowered with a shorter spring but getting to look right for every car with a single length.spring, I don't think it is possible.

I have heard that some weird nutters have large ICE installs in there cars that might effect the rear ride height. But your not one of those mutters jamil.

VR457
08-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I have heard that some weird nutters have large ICE installs in there cars that might effect the rear ride height. But your not one of those mutters jamil.

Small world, i heard of a few of those too!

You are correct, i need to raise my rear height or drop my front. I don't want to lower the front any more because of scraping road humps, parking issues and so on.

With a stiffer rear spring but at standard height, the back will not sag under the weight. However, this will mean stiffening the front so as to avoid oversteer.

So, it is a dilemma.

VR457
28-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Update and neeeeeed help!

"Before you send the springs to us could you please measure the fitted length of the springs with the weight of the car on them, Also please mark each end of the springs how they fit either internally or externally"

This is the response i got from the company. Does anyone have measurements for these or know how i can do this?

adaxo
28-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Notice wishbone position (or measure from centre of wheel to the end of wheel arch vertically ), lift the car, take wheel off, put something under wishbone (spare jack, car stands, bricks/STP) then lower car to archive the same wishbone position as when car is on the ground with wheel (or till taken measurement is the same), measure spring, job done/Poms

VR457
29-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks Adam. I can do the taking stuff off part but it's the precise points to measure from that seems hard. Do i drop the car back down onto the arm and measure the longest part of the spring?

It sounds like lowering will make it fiddly to measure properly with a handheld tape. Then the other problem i have is that the rears sag more than i want so i have to estimate an extra amount on top of that.