PDA

View Full Version : Need help Building a galant

beany9uk
18-03-2012, 01:50 PM
hi all can anyone help me, iv got a galant viento i beleive its a 1998 GSX GDI salloon but not certain because it was imported and DVLA have lost the paperwork and it wasnt imported by me but now i have it and she is beautiful but because no paperwork i cant register her so what i want to do is keep the nice bits and replace the not so nice bits then register it as a kit-car. the thing i need help with from you good people is can i put the engine out of a VR4 into my galant, will it fit and will i need the gearbox aswel? have been looking on the net but im not certaint what to look for and my eyes are getting sore. please help

thank you so much for your help in advance

Nick Mann
18-03-2012, 10:02 PM
The engine can be retro fitted, but the drivetrain is more tricky unless the car is already 4WD. You can use a n/a V6 FWD gearbox with the VR4 engine. Search the site for "vr2" or "scud" to see some ideas.

beany9uk
19-03-2012, 12:30 PM
thank you another problem i have is im not to sure what my galant has because its an import and as far as i no its the only 1 of its kind. it has a tip-tronic gear box 4 speed, its realy low to the ground, the petoral engine says GDI and GSX and im told its called a "viento" but i think those r 2.0 or 2.5L but my engine number on the VIN matchs a 1.8. i got in contact with mitsu in japan and they want £111.63 just to tell me the age so i dnt think i can afford them to tell me the rest of the info, basicly what im getting at is do you know anything bout this car or have you heard of a "viento"

thankyou again for the info you have given me

Wobble
19-03-2012, 12:44 PM
i think you have a 1.8 gdi by the sounds of it , my old vr4 was down as a viento on paper for some reason . i take it it is 2 wheel drive?

without sounding harsh you would be better off buying a vr4 as it would be cheaper than doing the conversion unless you specifically want a front wheel drive vr4 powered galant .

As Nick says search vr2 in the search function at the top left of the screen. has been done a couple of times but you might be put off by the work involved . you would need the gearbox aswell as the engine from a vr4

beany9uk
19-03-2012, 01:08 PM
thank you for yor imput i was consitering 4WD but not sure. to be honest i just want my galant on the road and the only way i can see of doing it is the kitcar way so i thort i would ask about the vr4 engine to see if i could give it abit more umph lol. if i did keep a 2WD could i convert it to RWD because with the long wheel base i think it would be more fun in the corners :-) and can i drop a turbo in my 1.8?

Wodjno
19-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi and welcome..

I am 99.9% sure that the car you have is a 1.8 direct injection petrol, FWD.. Viento was given to non VR4 vehicles that have the full VR4 bodykit(AFAIK) My wife had 1 of the same /yes

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=89#photo
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=697#photo

As for what you want to do? I would do as others have said and Buy a VR4.. Anything is possible! Rearwheel drive, Tuboeing your lump, dropping in a VR4 engine. but it's about how much time, effort and money you want to put into it. And if you can't afford to pay that extra bit to find out how old the car is, then i would say that any conversion is also out of the question!
If i were you, i would strip the car for parts, keep the bits you want and buy a VR4..
But at the end of the day it's all down to what "You" really want /yes Good look in your decision :D
Oh!! And welcome to the site ?yes :) :D

beany9uk
19-03-2012, 08:22 PM
thank you very much for your imput, all of you hav been so helpfull. it is proving to be a bigger job than i realised, i thort it was pritty much the same car so i could just drop the vr4 engine in, oh wel live and learn may try in afew years when iv had more experiance.
my galant looks differant to that how do i upload pics on here and maybe you guys mite have differant thorts and you could see what i meen about the differance? just tryed uploading some but it says they are to large
im almost certain its bigger than a 1.5L i think its 1.8 maybe 2.0L.

Thank you all

beany9uk
19-03-2012, 08:22 PM
oh it has done some i think

Wobble
19-03-2012, 09:46 PM
get a pic up of the engine bay .

btw ,what part of the country are you ? you may have some one on your door step that may wish to help you

Wodjno
20-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Sorry. That was a Typo. It should have been 1.8 /pan

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk