PDA

View Full Version : noisy hydraulic lifters...

mossy
07-07-2003, 11:41 AM
...i have been using a product called promar mlb8 ....this is here in nz
the dealer puts it in with the new oil each change and it seems to work fine absolutely killing that annoying tapping noise...only occasionally do i get it 1st start of the day for 1-2 secs

BraindG
07-07-2003, 12:13 PM
ah, i asked about this the other day.. yes, my dealer INSERT INTO post VALUES (who are NZ Based, then came ovver here) mentioned it, and they are getting some over from NZ.. but to be honest.. it will jsut come back.. which is a shame really.. im thinking of just going for the lifters with the 3mm hole.. mitsubishi are now selling them, as they are aware that its their design fault.. so im getting a price on them soon..

but anyhoo.. so that stuffs good? /adds to shopping list

haydar
07-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Brind, I've just had a set of lash adjuster shipped over from Japan direct. Total cost including shipping is a total of £225.

I've attached a picture that illustrates the difference between that old and new lash adjusters.

Petrolhead
07-07-2003, 05:28 PM
I seem to have cured my noisey tappets by thrashing it round a small racetrack for a day :D

Seriously, not even ticking at start-up now...........or maybe I've just lost all my oil :Ponder:

Brind
07-07-2003, 08:39 PM
My engine has been completely silent since it came back from Mitsubishi a couple of months ago.

BUT

For the first time, yesterday I started it up after driving it about for a while at normal speeds without ragging it what so ever and the tick was there loud as before? first time!!!! and since it was the first time I had a quick thought... I'll turn the engine off and wait 10 seconds, which I did.. started it up and pure silence! I was on a slight incline but not long enough for the oil to drain back but must have helped the problem come back.
Since I turned it off after the noise started again and then waited a few seconds then turned it back on the noise has gone! obviously that somehow got rid of the trapped air.

Could be a trick to use... because it has gone away completely again now, just started it up now as it has been left since yesterday and no noise what so ever.:shrug: go figure..

haydar
07-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Really don't want to be the voice of doom and gloom, but my experience is that the noise will not completely go away and gradually get worse.

When my car first made the noise, I changed the oil and it went away. But then after a while it came back. I then would give the car a good thrash and it'd go away, but then come back. The only consistent thing was that it would come back quicker and quicker everytime.

When you first start the car it'll make the ticking noice for a few seconds and then it'll go away. This is often because the car is on choke and hence you can't really hear it. To find out if your car has this problem is to leave it idling for over 20 minutes. If your car has the problem it'll start to tick.

Also, early on you could only really hear the tick if you lifted the bonnet and listen hard. It was very slight but it was there.

This problem is very well documented in the states since their Eclipse, which is basically a Mitsubishi with an American badge and the Mitsubishi GTO, both which are very popular, have this very same problem. Even EVOs suffer from this problem.

At over £700 for a set of lash adjusters in the UK, it's a problem that I just became prepared to live with. However, having just received a full upgraded set from Japan for £225 all inclusive I'm now going to have them replaced. Hopefully it'll be the end of the infamous tick tick tick tick.........

EdmundVR4
24-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Check what the American 3000GT's are doing to get rid of the annoying lash adjuster noises.
[URL=http://]http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=160283
I get lifter tick on my 6A12 2.0 V6 & 6A13 2.5 V6. I haven't noticed it on my 6G72 3.0V6....maybe because of the noisy free flow 3" exhaust or is it the non synthetic oil in there.

BraindG
24-07-2003, 09:49 PM
i just went the whole hog, and got new ones..
couldnt cope with the noise.. makes the car sound like a bag of.. erm.. sweets

haydar
24-07-2003, 10:05 PM
BraindG

Where did you get your lash adjusters from and how much? I've just had my new lash adjusters fitted and the car is now purring instead of ticking??? Much much better.

BraindG
24-07-2003, 10:08 PM
just got the official ones from Mitsubishi, apparently they realised its a problem, and now selling them with a larger hole.. no idea on cost though.. just a case of "get it sorted".. more money than sense..:eek:

haydar
24-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by BraindG
just got the official ones from Mitsubishi, apparently they realised its a problem, and now selling them with a larger hole.. no idea on cost though.. just a case of "get it sorted".. more money than sense..:eek:

The difference is HUGE, like £700 compared to £225!!!

It's not just the money, it's that fact that we are being ripped off that gets to me.:mad:

If you change your mind, the chap I bought my lash adjusters from is that same that I quoted for the ECU and you could contact him directly. Very helpful guys and you'll get delivery with 5-7 days.

The fitting of the lash adjusters should not be more than a 3 hour job either.

Good luck anyway and let us know how you get along.

Kieran
17-08-2003, 11:27 PM
The lash adjuster problem also blights the 4-cylinder galants as well.

When I last visited my dealer, I happened to mention that one tappet will very occasionaly tick when cold. Almost instantly, a bottle of Add-it Hydraulic lifter treatment was thrust into my mitts. By all accounts, it's a well-known and common problem, ... and would cost about £500 to fix if they siezed totally!:eek:

Paranoia has now got the better of me and i've added the treatment to my oil, so we'll see.

zedy1
17-08-2003, 11:31 PM
IVE HAD ABOUT 7 GALANTS AND THEY ALL DID IT

Kieran
17-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by zedy11
IVE HAD ABOUT 7 GALANTS AND THEY ALL DID IT

Arrgh... :bawling:

Drat and double drat!... I hope mine don't start to misbehave just yet:D

Nick VR4
18-08-2003, 09:08 AM
The Chaps at the MLR with there Evo's get it too
Read this tutorial some guy did it
Not that I would even think about doing it
I only get the ticking for about 10 seconds

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18708&highlight=valves

banjo
20-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Mine used to do it occasionally just after I bought it even when warm, for the last 2 oil changes I've used Castrol Magnatex and now it doesn't do it at all when warm and only very rarely on cold start up for about 1-2 seconds.

zedy1
20-08-2003, 11:15 PM
is that fully syntectic

BraindG
21-08-2003, 12:08 AM
i do believe it is

pjjohnson
10-09-2003, 05:01 PM
I had that nasty ticking noise for years, it never seemed to go away, but the last two oil changes have been with Carlube Triple R synthetic 10-40 and now its gone.

Japmetal
10-09-2003, 08:58 PM
I also get a fairly loud ticking from my engine, but since it's about 13 years old now I dont expect it to be silent & it usually fades out during normal driving [unless the weather is extremely cold !]

Kieran
13-09-2003, 09:58 PM
:mad:Oh, Bugger!

The GLS *seems* to be developing a very faint tap whilst cold, and it's getting more frequent....:grr:

I think i'm in the early stages, so I'm thinking of spending a weekend with a couple of filters, some oil and some engine flush treatment to try and delay the onset...

If it keeps getting worse, I'll do the above and let you know the results. I'm resigned to the fact that with 89K behind the car I'm probably just delaying the inevitable, but anyway...

Brind
13-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Did you say 89K? :eek:

I've heard a brand new Space Wagon thing tick.. had one as a curtosy car while they were sorting my VR-4 for the same thing.
To only just have the problem now you must be the luckiest Mitsubishi owner ever!

BraindG
13-09-2003, 10:56 PM
agreed!!!!

you lucky man

Kieran
13-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Yep, my GLS has just reached 89K .

However, I must admit that I *can't* be sure that it's not had the tappets done in the past:rolleyes:, as i've only got a fully stamped service book, but no bills/worksheets INSERT INTO post VALUES (typical ex-fleet car). I'm not too worried, as it was serviced at the same dealers the last two times before I brought it and they've got the records to prove it.

I suspect it's not had them done, as to get such a mileage, it must have been pounding the motorways nearly non-stop, and it's been back to the dealers once every three months on average INSERT INTO post VALUES (not bad for a car with 12month, 9K service interval!); so it's always had fairly clean oil in there, and not much town driving I suspect.

jtfleming
14-09-2003, 04:18 AM
Is that 89k miles? Thats not bad going. Because mine car has done 70,000 kilometres and occasionally ticks when cold. Oil change always helps, just changed it today put in Castrol Magnatech 10w-40. Just keep changing the oil and you should have no problems.:cool1:

Kieran
14-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Yep, 89,000 miles.

I think from now on, Mistubishi can keep servicing the car as usual every 9K, and I'll do an oil flush and change at 4.5K.:)

SGHOM
02-10-2003, 09:27 PM
wish I'd not found this thread now !!:Cry1: :Cry1: when I bought my legnum around 3 months ago, it had the tell tale ticking for a few seconds after start up, but now ; it does not sound good at all !! a distinctive rattle upon start up, [ especially when facing uphill ?? ] and then settles down to an annoying ticking untill warmed up. even then it does not fully go away. immediate surgery required ?? or addatives to shut her up ??:Ponder:

Brind
02-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Start it up and listen carefully for the ticking, if it appears to be in for the duration 'switch engine off', start her up again and she will be quiet! :)

Mine, if it does start to tick loudly stops in under 3 seconds, minor ticks may be heard after. Switch the engine off and then back on and the ticking stops completely and doesn't come back... works everytime without fail!!!!!
My car is also on an incline but it doesn't get driven all that often either so there is more of a reason for the oil to drain back down.

SGHOM
02-10-2003, 09:51 PM
thanks for the advice mate !! might try that on the wife also !!:D :D not sure which one has the loudest rattle !!!:D

BraindG
02-10-2003, 09:57 PM
ive got tonnes off lifters here now.. set from my INSERT INTO post VALUES (old) engine, and a set from the new engine in my car.. the ones with the bigger holes are currently in this engine..

:)

Brind
02-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by interlec
thanks for the advice mate !! might try that on the wife also !!:D :D not sure which one has the loudest rattle !!!:D

You can switch them off too??????? you really must tell us!!!! this time next year you'll be a millyonair!!! :D

SGHOM
02-10-2003, 10:23 PM
follow my advice Brind, & the world is your lobster !!!:D ::D

zedy1
14-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by haydar
Brind, I've just had a set of lash adjuster shipped over from Japan direct. Total cost including shipping is a total of £225.

I've attached a picture that illustrates the difference between that old and new lash adjusters.

barry when we checked the hles on your old lash adjusters they were the same size as these

BraindG
14-10-2003, 10:37 PM
beleive they were.. ill take a picture of them tomorrow? INSERT INTO post VALUES (going to bed now)

EdmundVR4
08-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Can anyone post the Mitsubishi part # for the upgraded Lash Adjusters ? I received a quote from Japan for lash adjusters of US$16.50 each & the part number is the same for my 7G & 8G VR4's. I am fed up of the noise & I just want to make sure that I am purchasing the lash adjusters with the bigger holes.
Thanks,
Ed

leg less
06-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Can someone please repost the pic?? Cheers, Dan

bradc
06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm guessing you're the same Dan on ozvr4? If you search around here for ticking, lash, adjuster or similar you'll find a BILLION threads :)

Gly
06-06-2007, 10:32 AM
put some Proma MBL8 in there, it shuts up the lifters for about 5000km,
which is how often i change my oil and filter.

leg less
15-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah Bradc, same one, only I think it has got a whole lot worse. Check my other post soon. Cheers, Dan

eyedol
26-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Has anybody tried those Hylift Johnson ones they have on trade me? I think from memory they were about $250 NZD and come with a guarentee.

Just wanted to know if they were any good.

OnBoost!
27-12-2008, 08:46 AM
ah lifters..............

Them lifters are weird...added that proma stuff..went away for a few months...then went to the beach...started it up...and they were really loud..stopped after a few seconds...then no noise since then.

eyedol
27-12-2008, 04:02 PM
ah lifters..............

Them lifters are weird...added that proma stuff..went away for a few months...then went to the beach...started it up...and they were really loud..stopped after a few seconds...then no noise since then.

Thanks OnBooost! How long you had them in there for now?

Anyone else tried the Hylift Johnson lifters from trademe?

sharky
27-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi. I used to have very bad tapping everytime until I bought those hylift johnson lifters of trademe. I have them in for 10000km. They were quite for first 3000km or so before tapping returned. Sometimes I hear tapping only on startup when engine is cold. I think the best solution is still regular oil change(every 5000km) and proma.

OnBoost!
28-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks OnBooost! How long you had them in there for now?

Anyone else tried the Hylift Johnson lifters from trademe?

No i did not mean i had those johnson lifters,seeing the thread just reminded me about the ongoing lifter noise problem.

serenity88
29-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I believe the noisey lifter problem is caused by a combination of factors mainly steming from a high preformance race style design.

As we are not striping and rebuilding our machines every few hundred k's then this type of race performance oreintated design can be just embarassing sometimes!

Some ways I have seen noisey lifters dealt with:

replace with larger port sized lifters (expensive)

oil change with additive every 5000k's (expensive and annoying)

remove pick up filter (cheap but some what dangerous to all but the religious oil changer)

install suplimentary external oil pick up with changable filter (initial cost but no ongoings)

I'm personaly convinced that the main problem is a pressure related chainreaction that gets worse when not dealt with, I have seen it nailed a number of times now on a few different types of mitsi's with added top end lube aid, which I believe helps to equilize the pressure avoiding a lock! For those serious about performance why not?
Can be sorted at any performance shop, quite cheaply, or even cheaper still with some petrol line and a drippper for those with the knowhow.

bradc
29-12-2008, 09:53 AM
I still don't see it as a problem personally, and don't worry about it. It isn't like the suspension is knocking, or big end bearings. Sure it is annoying, but I don't see much point in chasing after it

serenity88
29-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Thats all good for those that have an exhaust system the size of a cannon! and more base than a ub40 concert, to drown out the annoying tickty tackity!

LOL /Hyper

bradc
29-12-2008, 10:16 AM
heh yep, that'd be me, but I'd prefer to drown out a Led Zep or Metallica concert rather than UB40!

Roberto
30-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Posted this before, but it's mentioned in the official paperwork that parking on a slope makes a difference.

So for the last month I have parked with the nose of the car pointing down the slope of my drive, not a severe slope at all.
But it does make a difference, the oil doesn't drain out of them.

May be mad, but it does work.

chris brown
14-01-2009, 08:49 PM
i feel releived i`m not alone and i hav`nt bought a dog , going to invest i some lifter treatment oil and see what happens................

mitsugaz
14-01-2009, 10:20 PM
ive heard of this problem on gtos seemingly the oil holes on the top end arent big enough reboring them to 3mm i think is meant to allow better oil distribution dont quote me on the hole size could this be the same on the legnum.

Mitsi4eva
26-03-2009, 06:15 AM
I have had Amsoil in my Vr4 now for about a month with no reduction in lifter noise at all(they can be really loud when they want to be) and the noise never really went away at all. To call it annoying and embarrassing would be an understatement! Last weekend I bit the bullet and changed to all my lifters to Hylift Johnson lifters using the same oil and.. I can't believe the difference it has made!

The job took me about 5hrs start to finish with no fancy tools and 1 person helping out. It isn't difficult to do just labour intensive, but VERY highly recommended!

Rambaud
26-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I have had Amsoil in my Vr4 now for about a month with no reduction in lifter noise at all(they can be really loud when they want to be) and the noise never really went away at all. To call it annoying and embarrassing would be an understatement! Last weekend I bit the bullet and changed to all my lifters to Hylift Johnson lifters using the same oil and.. I can't believe the difference it has made!

The job took me about 5hrs start to finish with no fancy tools and 1 person helping out. It isn't difficult to do just labour intensive, but VERY highly recommended!

Yes, I did the same thing when I changed the lifters on my Audi 90q a few years ago when the mileage was just over 100,000 miles.

OnBoost!
26-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Or you could have done what i did,add the PRoma additive,there was only one time it was noisy after i put it in,quiet now for many months.

orionn2o
26-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I havent read this whole thread so excuse me if i miss the point. I changed my lash adjusters for newer upgraded ones and the car has been silent ever since.

I tried the oil thing, and everything worked for a short while, but now I never hear the classic tick tick tick! And i have to say i'm delighted for it!

Davezj
26-03-2009, 02:28 PM
you could try cleaning them, but it is whether you have the time or inclination. you have to take them out to clean them, so you have done the hard work. so why not replace them otherwise you may find yourself taking them out a few times to fix all the tapping as one clean my not be enough for some of them.

just a tip, use a mechanics stethascope to pin point the noisey lifter before you remove them and give those ones a really good going over or if they feel bad still feel bad after cleaning replace only those ones.

twisted32
22-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Thread digging here, but has anyone who has had the hylift johnson lifters fitted for a while, have anything to say good or bad about them?

Oblivion
23-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Thread digging here, but has anyone who has had the hylift johnson lifters fitted for a while, have anything to say good or bad about them?

Yeah as above again, worth fitting?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Engines/auction-362165736.htm