PDA

View Full Version : Scratches down the centre of the bonnet

Jesus-Ninja
20-03-2012, 10:55 AM
My car has a weird effect on the bonnet paintwork down the centre, like it's been flatted back. Does anyone else suffer from this? You can kind of see it in this picture

Wodjno
20-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Not east to tell in the picture.. But is it not just oxidized ?

But saying that, we had the same sort of issue on the Mrs Wodj's Legnum(Black) The bonnet looked oxidized, and a paint restorer did bring it back to nearly it's former glory. But it was always short lived. A month or 2 and it was back again. I do remember someone on here telling me what it was, but i forgot who it was and what it was they said /help

So no help at all and a waste of reply :p

Wodj

Jesus-Ninja
20-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Cheers, Wodj,

You can see a dull strip in the paint that runs from between the washers down to my number plate (about 6" wide)

It doesn't really bother me that much, and I don't really polish it to be honest, but I was curious as to what might be causing it. My assumption had been something to do with engine heat, but there's also loads of little scratches in it, like someone has gone over it with some emery cloth. I've tolerated it for 3+ years though :)

Wodjno
20-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Cheers, Wodj,

You can see a dull strip in the paint that runs from between the washers down to my number plate (about 6" wide)

It doesn't really bother me that much, and I don't really polish it to be honest, but I was curious as to what might be causing it. My assumption had been something to do with engine heat, but there's also loads of little scratches in it, like someone has gone over it with some emery cloth. I've tolerated it for 3+ years though :)

Yeah i see the bit /yes
I vaguely remember someone mentioning a defect from original paining of the bonnet. So a manufacturing fault.
Maybe someone has tried to buff it out with something to abrasive?
You can make if fade with T-cut and a Nano polish. But it will come back. and theres only so many times you can do that before you will be through the lacquer :(
I would either get it sprayed, or swap it over for one thats breaking. Sure there a Trigger on here at the moment thats breaking ??

Wodj

PS.. It's deffo not heat from the engine thats done it.. As the engine in Mrs Wodj's car was a 1.8 GDi.. I'm not sure that generated any heat at all, as it didn't even generate any power :p

Jesus-Ninja
20-03-2012, 11:31 AM
OK, cheers. I may just flat it back and then lacquer it. All highly dependent on my being-arsed though :D

Humpty's Revenge
20-03-2012, 11:37 AM
That's base coat lacquer, so it looks like it could well be the lacquer that has possibly gone cloudy? but without seeing it clearly that's just a guess!

Louis
20-03-2012, 03:21 PM
It's growing a racing stripe cos off all the mods you are doing to it!, :), check the roof, it will start there soon as well.

Gly
21-03-2012, 12:16 AM
possibly early stages of clear coat failure. the clear is separating from the colour (paint cancer)

Zipperdydoda
21-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Nope, defo not 'clear coat failure'. Looks more like her coat had buckles at the back....are they up'ndown scratches Nick...?

Jesus-Ninja
23-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Nope, defo not 'clear coat failure'. Looks more like her coat had buckles at the back....are they up'ndown scratches Nick...?

They all seem to run across the bonnet, from left to right. It's odd.

WOODY72
23-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Heh heh pmsl