PDA

View Full Version : Could we have a database,wiki,spreadsheet of terminology?

Davezj
25-03-2012, 10:15 PM
I was have a think about this as nick mann described the function of the pill restrictor in the boost line, and thought it was the best description of it's function I had ever read. But unless you read the particular thread it was written in then you will never find it.
I know search function work to find this nugget of information but normally this is not a successful task.
If we had a location of terminology we could define all the terms we wanted to describe and then open it up to everybody to fill in.
A thread could be started for each term Then after a few entries had been attached in posts, this best one could be chosen and other could be deleted or post could be merged together to make the most complete description, and the thread could locked. But in the first post a few variation of the term could be put in as keywords for the search function to pick up on.
This would not be a discussion thread more of a dictionary or encyclopaedia like wiki for vr4's.

I know it would take a bit of doing but it would be well worth it.
The main stuff to go in there would vr4 specific stuff. Not stuff like TURBO or WASTEGATE for stuff like that we could just put a wiki link to the wiki description for it. There is no point reinventing the wheel.
Only stuff like RESTICTOR PILL

Do you think this is a possibility?

BraindG
28-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Yep, i totally agree - this is on my radar of things to do.

Just need to think how best to implement it, it fits into how i want to redo the resource library - Which, i've still not fully decided upon.

Let me have some more thinking time.

Davezj
28-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Cheers Barry
It looks like a massive job, but there aren't actually that many VR4 specific term that really need defining. A lot of terms are generic car stuff so a link to wiki (or something similar) would do.

If you want a hand thrashing it out I am more than willing to help out.

BraindG
28-03-2012, 06:43 PM
If you want a hand thrashing it out I am more than willing to help out.

:uhoh: - I'm quite capable of doing that myself :P

Yep, i was just thinking when i saw your reply, maybe something to discuss at next meet?

Davezj
28-03-2012, 06:50 PM
:uhoh: - I'm quite capable of doing that myself :P

Yep, i was just thinking when i saw your reply, maybe something to discuss at next meet?

Oh dear my statement sound very dodgy!

And yes, I am sure you are quite capable of thrashing your own.

Wodjno
28-03-2012, 07:16 PM
And yes, I am sure you are quite capable of thrashing your own.

He did offer it to me once /yes