PDA

View Full Version : Brake Recall

KiwiTT
13-12-2004, 06:21 AM
I have finally got advice from my Dealer, that I am going to get my replacement ASC/ABS system installed.

I am getting it installed on Tuesday Next Week. I let you know how I get along.

strangebat
13-12-2004, 11:21 PM
mines getting done this wek as well

-LegnumVR4-
14-12-2004, 08:02 AM
I have finally got advice from my Dealer, that I am going to get my replacement ASC/ABS system installed.

I am getting it installed on Tuesday Next Week. I let you know how I get along.

Eh? Whats taken them so long to get it sort? Lack of hardware? :rolleyes:

Physician
14-12-2004, 11:34 AM
I sat down with the Service Manager (white collar one as opposed to the workshop one) at my local Mitsy dealer and we went through exactly what they have to do to rectify the ASC/braking system.

We both agreed that it was a job that should preferably be left until any problem arose with the system.

It is a huge job and one which will alter many factory fitted parts, removal of sections of brake pipes near the firewall etc. Even the steering wheel has to be removed and new sensors fitted as well as one of the ECU's and other major parts.

The actual problem is a diaphram in the brake actuator ......... this MAY rupture as it is POSSIBLY not thick enough to withstand general wear and tear. Should it rupture, then gas will leak into, and mix with, the brake fluid. The result will be a slow degradation in braking power and the driver would notice that he has to depress the brake pedal further than normal. There would NOT be a sudden loss of braking ability ......... a slow degredation.

I have received a letter (dated 10.12.04), at my request, from Mitsy stating that they are holding the parts and the 25 page instruction manual for fitting the new parts and will fit them free of charge at any time in the future should I wish to have the job done or at a time that the diaphram starts to fail.

This gives me peace of mind and won't unnecessarily alter the parameters and presently excellent operation of all my systems.

You all may wish to consider this as an option. If you want further info just ask.

Richard

KiwiTT
14-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Eh? Whats taken them so long to get it sort? Lack of hardware? :rolleyes:

They did a quick fix initially, which blocked the Gas going in to the brake system. This stopped the bubbles forming in the brake lines and causing the spongy feeling, that I actually experienced.

The hardware has now arrived from Japan, as they had to re-manufacture the parts. I was also take them a full day to re-install and as detailed by Physician it is a lot of work to do.

However, I will still get it done regardless. A brake failure here in NZ caused a mechanic to sail through a "Red Light", without stopping, while on a test drive. Hence the alert to the LTSA and subsequent removal of our cars of the road.

strangebat
15-12-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm definetly getting mine done as well, I've never been happy with the brakes since I bought the car, even though I upgraded the discs and pads.
I hope this cures it.