PDA

View Full Version : Trial: Using groups for events.

BraindG
29-03-2012, 02:59 PM
All,

For a long time now I have struggled with a design concept to ensure all event related discussions and pictures are kept in one place and allow for historical reference.

One of the problems with how its been done in the past is that we had a Gallery for images, which would be populated post event and then multiple threads surrounding that event. At times it became confusiing to keep on top of whats happening, which was why we had a split between attendance, banter and picture threads - This helped alot, allowing information to be found quicker however, it was still not ideal.

I always wanted to use the groups feature of Vbulletin for this purpose but because any new discussions/replies would not show in whats new, it was kinda pointless as maybe no-one would realise there was a discussion going on about an event.

As you may have noticed, yesterday I implemented a new feature to allow new disussions and replys in groups to show up in What's New, great break through.

Now, as a trial I have moved the Japfest 2 attendance thread and banter to the Japfest 2 Group (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/group.php?groupid=7).

If you click and have a look (you need to Join to see it all) you will see it already has a more together feel to it, a place for images, a place for discussions and also and overview of the group, including a nice wee image to set it all off.

The idea would be that anyone can discuss whatever they want about that event in this group, they can create new threads as and when they want, rather than cluttering up a thread and or diverting the threads direction. As well as this, once the event has been completed you can upload all your pictures to this group, anyone who is a "member" of the group can do this.

Hoepfully you'll see the direction i'm heading, please share your thoughts on this.

The goal here is to move all events to this group feature, p.s. all CVR4 members can create groups.