PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Coilover kits

foxdie
31-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

I'm starting to think about swapping my stock suspension for a lower / stiffer setup. My priority isn't to go stupid low, I'd be content at just balancing out the front ride height with the rear. What I would like to do is increase cornering feel with less roll.

There are several products on the market now, they're all roughly around the same price and do the same basic thing, what I'd like to hear is what people think of a particular product, this includes ride feel, features, cost, whether they'd buy again or recommend etc.

Here are the list of available products as I understand it (updated 31st March 2012);

D2 Racing Coilovers (part code Z0938) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/330658471516) - £638
BC Racing BR Coilovers (part code B-01-BR-RS) (http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/645244/mitsubishi/bc-racing-br-series-coilovers/b-01-br-rs.html) - £596
BC Racing ER Coilovers (part code B-01-ER-ER) (http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/645746/mitsubishi/bc-racing-er-series-coilovers/b-01-er-er.html) - £1192
Tein Super Wagon Coilovers (part code DSR42-91SS3) (http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s2213p9640/TEIN_LOW_DOWN_SPEC_SUPER_WAGON_DAMPER-COILOVER_KITS_-_TEIN_Super_Wagon_Damper_Coilover_Kit_-_Legnum_EC5W_VR4_2_5_Twin_Turbo_) - £821
There are undoubtedly more, if you can think of anymore let me know and I will update this list :thumbsup:

The Vee
31-03-2012, 02:45 PM
The Teins for me. Can still give very comfortable ride but not as hard as some when really pushing it. So maybe with the addition of uprated ARBs if roll is a "major" factor

jayp
31-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I have the d2's on mine and the ride can be shockingly hard, however body roll is non existent, I can load the back up to the roof and the rear only stops about 10mm, just to give you an idea how hard they are

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Scanny
31-03-2012, 05:49 PM
http://daiyama.co.uk/daiyama-coilover-applications.asp

strange how they dont mention 8th gen yet i have a set on my car right now

crazydriver81
31-03-2012, 09:44 PM
The D2 coilovers for me to. My ride is still comfy and I plan to go for stiffer springs on the front. Don't know which springs you have Jay.

Anyway, body roll is non-existing. Would buy them again.

swinks
31-03-2012, 09:44 PM
D2 for me!
Have them 2yrs soon and love them. They are setup by default as semi-hard, but if needed they can be setup really hard. And vr4 handling - fantastic.

John TheAntique
31-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I've got the tein with EDFC. Absolutely fantastic as you can adjust front and back independently in seconds to take into account road conditions, carrying weight and passenger requirements. Makes your smiles even smileyer.

Roadrunner
31-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Tein for me too :) Didn't need any adjustment after fitting, ride is smooth and handling superb. Would definitely recommend these.

BraindG
31-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Sorry Jason, can i just do a little hijack? - Kinda relevant :)
Roadrunner, John TheAntique and The Vee - You may know but I have the TEIN "Cool Style Master - Super Wagon (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?60126-TEIN-Super-Wagon-Coilovers)" sat in a cupboard for 2 years... - My understanding is that the spring rating is really low (not got figures to hand), which is why i didnt put them on yet I've been waiting to get stiffer springs - Did you guys get stiffer springs? Do you have the same ones as the ones in the link just before? - What's the ride like? Stiff?

foxdie
31-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Sorry Jason, can i just do a little hijack?

No no no. You're forgetting the thread hijack smiley! :)

The Vee
01-04-2012, 12:03 AM
No BraindG. I like the rates as they are with the Teins, I believe they're 5 front and 3 rear. For me an excellent compromise, slightly firmer for track but comfortable on the road.

BraindG
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
No BraindG. I like the rates as they are with the Teins, I believe they're 5 front and 3 rear. For me an excellent compromise, slightly firmer for track but comfortable on the road.

Yeah, thought so - I couldnt find the figures..

What are the standard suspension rates? do you know?

You do have the same TEINS as those in my thread?

BraindG
01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
This info was as a result of discussings in this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?52204-Spring-Rates) thread.

To add a little info on the TEIN Spring ratings - I have a long chat with a guy called Chris from TEIN, discussing harder ratings (10front, 8back). the following was suggested.

Hi Barry

Thanks for the mail.

We have discussed your requirements further and have discovered
the springs you can use, only to match the spring rate you
require and the ride height we suggest for this car.

If you did choose this combination, naturally, it would be at
your own risk as this is far from what we recommend for this
damper.

Front would need the following:

SV100-01225
List price each pair GBP70.00 + vat

You would also require helper springs CR019-01080
List price per pair is GBP36.00 + vat

and

Spacers USS01-95585
List price per pair also GBP36.00 + vat

The spring seat lock would also need lowering by 4mm, to achieve
the same ride height.

The rear would require the following:

SQ080-01175
List price per pair GBP70.00 + vat

With these, you will also require a helper spring set CR019-01080
List price per pair GBP36.00 + vat

and

Spacer seat USS01-95585
List price per pair GBP36.00 + vat

We have the main springs in stock, 1 pair of the helpers and only
1 of the spacers. They would need to be ordered in from Japan.

Additionally, as it was not clear in your photo which type of
dust boot is fitted to your damper, I need to make you aware of
the 2 ways possible, to fit these parts.

Soft dust boot :-

From the spring seat up

1 Helper spring
2 Spacer
3 Main spring

Hard type dust boot (G0681)

From the spring seat up.

1 Main spring
2 Spacer
3 Helper spring.

If you need to order these parts, please contact a Tein dealer.
http://www.tein.co.uk/dealer_list/ShopSearch.cgi?country=UK
Please feel free to contact a dealer to place the order.

Kind regards

Chris Marshall-Dowe
Sales
TEIN UK LIMITED

Please see here for spring (http://www.tein.co.uk/price/other/straight_spring.html) table.

adaxo
01-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Jason, I got teins as well, do I recommend them?? don't know, you see is very difficult to say to someone that this is hard/soft enough due to simple fact that everyone got different requirements and for some neck breaking hard set is not hard enough and for others factory setup on vr4 is far too hard compare to experience with previous cars. IMO you should get coils which got the wider capability to be set hard/soft and then find the best setup for your preferences.

jayp
01-04-2012, 10:30 AM
crazydriver81 have you any idea what your spring rate is? I've been thinking about changing mine for a while, the roads around Gutersloh aren't the best by a long way!
Sorry for the hijack

The Vee
01-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah, thought so - I couldnt find the figures..

What are the standard suspension rates? do you know?

You do have the same TEINS as those in my thread?

Not sure on the standard VR4 rates, but I believe they are just a little lower than these Teins. 3F and 1.5R rings a bell but really cant remember. I think Bradc once put a table up.
And yes I believe mine are the same as you linked to. Got mine from Camskill also and certainly had the Super Wagon in the name.
Couple of things "spring" to mind, Our friends in Germany drive on much better roads generally than we do, so higher rates (for me) would be less uncomfortable.
Also if you uprate the values always keep an eye on the front turrets as stiffer springs will always aggravate the problem that some of our earlier VR4s are experiencing. Maybe time we looked at some sort of strengthening in this area.

JayVR4
10-04-2012, 08:28 PM
now this is an interesting thread. a previous owner of my VR-4 disconnetcted the 4ws and as a result the back does its own thing. its pretty hard to find the back end parts here so im thinking of building a brace and going with teins all around. u think thats smart or the dumbest idea yet? btw i have the 7th gen

JayVR4
10-04-2012, 08:48 PM
hold on....did i just "hijack"? sorry....i'll start another thread

crazydriver81
11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
crazydriver81 have you any idea what your spring rate is? I've been thinking about changing mine for a while, the roads around Gutersloh aren't the best by a long way!
Sorry for the hijack

Hi Julian,

just came across this...

fronts should be 12.1kgs @ 180mm (12.1-180 printed on the springs)
rears should be 11kgs @ 205mm (11-205 printed on the springs)
shocks are half way closed...

I ordered my coilover kit as suitable for 4WD Legnum. There is also a coilover kit for the 8G VR-4, which has a different D2 part no. Hope that helps...

mike74
11-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I've got BC coilovers on my nissan & they're pretty darn hard. They've got 34 dampening adjustment points & I think I've only got them wound up to about 5/6! They're good bits of kit & unlike the Teins I've had in the past, the springs are fairly stiff. I'd ceratainly buy another set without a second thought :)

jayp
11-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Cheers Stefan, I will have to have a look at mine next week when I am in work. I didn't buy these myself, they were already fitted on my first legnum.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Louis
11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=crazydriver81;696628]Hi Julian,

just came across this...

fronts should be 12.1kgs @ 180mm (12.1-180 printed on the springs)
rears should be 11kgs @ 205mm (11-205 printed on the springs)
shocks are half way closed...
---------------------------------

Those are not the KG rates for the springs!!!.
The 12.1 - 180 relates to the wire diameter and the length of the Spring.
My D2's have 12.5 - 180 on the fronts and 11-205 on the rears. The coil is made from 12.5mm steel and the spring is 180mm long for the front and The rears are made from 11mm steel and are 205mm long, uncompressed length.
The Rates for the new D2's are:
Front: 12kg
Rear: 6.7kg

The original D2's I had were 12kg and 6kg.

Nick Mann
11-04-2012, 10:29 PM
It's all down to personal preference. I want my car to be comfortable, more of a fast tourer than a balls out racer. Tein Super Wagons suit my requirements perfectly. I have Tanabe Sustec Pro on my car at the moment, which I understand to be 10kg front and 6kg rear and whilst they are awesome when throwing the car into a fast corner, they are too hard for comfortable fast progress on an average English road.

My advice would be to choose your preference and then get suspension to suit.

crazydriver81
12-04-2012, 08:41 AM
@ Louis: Thanks for clarifying things here. I wasn't aware of this. Where can the different spring rates be found? Is there anywhere a cross reference between the numbers on the coils and the spring rates?

Jesus-Ninja
12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
I have Teins - not sure which though. They don't have adjustable shocks though, and the springs could do with being a touch stiffer. They came on the car when I bought it.

Having driven a VR4 before purchasing mine, I'd have replaced stock springs definitely, and I'd have gone for something stiffer and more adjustable than the teins I have now. However, the Teins as they stand are good enough to not being replaced themselves, despite not being what I would have chosen personally.

If that makes sense.

Oblivion
13-04-2012, 08:10 AM
I've found the Tein Super Flex Wagon really good for street use / winding roads but not quite hard enough at the circuit. I'd highly recommend using this suspension with the EDFC, being able to change all of the dampers at the touch of a button comes in really handy, even more so if you have a Galant - saves yourself having to pull out your back seat everytime you want to adjust them!