PDA

View Full Version : Turbosmart eBoost2

KlUe
11-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Hi all,

I've just installed an eBoost2 in my new VR4, and it looks great!

So my question is, what in general is the maxmum boost these cars can handle (after using a controller), without any other mods? I was only reaching about 6.8psi after which I changed the plugs - the rear three looked as if they had never been changed.. (and what a fantastic job that was.... /hammer) Anyway, now there doesn't appear to be any more misfiring, boost coming on quicker and better idle etc., but I'm still only getting up to about 9psi. Has very quickly spiked at 9.7 or 9.8 a couple of times. I've had my workshop check fuel mixture and they've confirmed there shouldn't be any problems at 10psi, so said it could be an ignition issue, hence the plugs..

I'm getting front pipe kit and 3" cat-back exhaust at the end of the month, which I'm hoping will help the flow out. Could it be the exhaust holding back more boost, or just the little turbos?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,

Steve

Subaru ETA
11-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Search is your friend...

wintertidenz
11-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Block off the pipes for the stock boost solenoid, and plumb the TurboSmart in place. You may also want to try replacing the red-tipped pipe with the restrictor.

KlUe
11-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Block off the pipes for the stock boost solenoid, and plumb the TurboSmart in place. You may also want to try replacing the red-tipped pipe with the restrictor.

Thanks for the reply mate, I've already blocked off the stock solenoid

EDIT: Yes I did use the search engine, and after about 30 mins I found more instructions, now including the red tipped pipe.. If anyone has a link handy to a "how to setup article" that'd be great, noticed a few people mention check the guide, and I couldn't find it...

wintertidenz
11-04-2012, 08:45 AM
The red-tipped pipe from the inlet elbow to the t-join has a restrictor in it. If it's on there, replace that piece of pipe but keep it aside and see if it helps.

KlUe
11-04-2012, 09:30 AM
The red-tipped pipe from the inlet elbow to the t-join has a restrictor in it. If it's on there, replace that piece of pipe but keep it aside and see if it helps.

Cheers, shall do mate.

If anyone knows where there is a how-to guide on installing boost controllers It'd be great to share, I've been unable to find it so far.. Seems the VR4 is not as simple as just following the Turbosmart install instructions.

peter thomson
11-04-2012, 09:34 AM
You shouldn't have any problems with the eboost instructions and the VR4. Used those when I installed mine a few years ago and there tech service is pretty quick to respond if you need help

KlUe
12-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Tried this suggestion this afternoon but hasn't appeared to help, I'm spiking at 8.8psi and it doesn't like holding boost. It does come on a bit quicker now I've bypassed the red tipped pipe though.. My local performance workshop doesn't think it's a boost leak, so I'm stuck for now.. I'm taking it out to Meek Automotive (well known in Sydney, Aus) at the end of the month for new exhaust and oils, so will ask them to check it out.

PS I'm thinking of buying a replacement BOV, can't decide whether I want plumb back or a hybrid.. Has anyone installed this hybrid before?

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=2634&category_id=328&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1