PDA

View Full Version : Some chrome

Dan_G
14-12-2004, 11:27 PM
I Got some bits chromed, so obviously various bits had to be painted red :) .....only problem with detailing is where do you stop...? :mad:

Anyway, took some photos over the weekend. I'm quite pleased with the results.

Anyone know where to get Cusco inlet pipes?

pezza
14-12-2004, 11:47 PM
I Got some bits chromed, so obviously various bits had to be painted red :) .....only problem with detailing is where do you stop...? :mad:

Anyway, took some photos over the weekend. I'm quite pleased with the results.

Anyone know where to get Cusco inlet pipes?

Nice, very nice, all you need now, is a clear bonnet to show off your handiwork..

I like the deoranged light clusters by the way.... loox good..

Cheers

Pezz

colVR4
15-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Where did you get it done and how much?

wirdy
15-12-2004, 01:43 PM

DITTO.

Looks really good. :)

Dan_G
15-12-2004, 02:52 PM

certainly to the point :p

OK the story goes like this:- wanted turbo y-pipe, turbo small elbo pipe and Strut brace chromed... easy I thought!

Company used:- Nuneaton Fine finishing.....

Having been told 2-3weeks start to finish I sent them away....... however I had to keep phoning him to remind him..... they did'nt give me a price upfront(was told about £100), then gave me actual a price(£100+delivery+VAT) once they where nearly finished (4-5weeks later) then I had to send a cheque which got lost... so I cancelled my cheque. It then amazingly arrived at the chromer the very next day but they still would'nt send my bits until they had the other cheque......

in the end I got my parts back about 6weeks after I sent them away. They arrived well wrapped, but to be honest, after waiting so long I wanted the moon on a stick with bells and whistles...... unfortunatley the chrome hadent taken on some parts and the inside of the turbo pipwork was rusted with flakey deposits completely covering the inside, which I dont think my engine would have liked too much (must be from the acid bath). So I had to spend ages cleaning the inside of the pipes with scowering pads and wire brushes (Wish I had an industrial pipe cleaner). Also had to touch up the missed bits with chrome paint......which actually looks good thankfully.

In the end my car was off the road for neerly 1/6th of the year.... which I was well peeved about especally as it was neer the end of the sunny season and I had just changed the timing belt......

So there you go!........ well you did ask! :-D

total cost in the end was about £130......

If anyone knows a better chromer I can use in future please let me know. it would be much appreciated.

Dan

ritch_w
15-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Dan

how did you "de-orange" the front indicators?

colVR4
16-12-2004, 10:39 AM
hmm, at least it wasn't too expensive but I don't think I will be using that particular company. The finished effect definately looks worth it though.

Big Ian
16-12-2004, 11:29 AM
If anyone knows a better chromer I can use in future please let me know. it would be much appreciated.
Dan

try looking in the add's of a custom motor bike mag,that's were i found a guy to do the throttle chamber on my old Granada.was a few year's ago....i'll see if ive got his number as he done a 1st class job and was quicker than he said.

-LegnumVR4-
17-12-2004, 09:51 AM

Detailing never stops mate :-D U always find something to tweak :rolleyes5

silver8g
23-12-2004, 04:23 AM
How did you do the angel eye (halo) in the headlight ????

Polabear
23-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Dan

how did you "de-orange" the front indicators?

Yeah Dan, a few of us have been wondering about this..... :dozey: how did you do it.... :headsc: ?

pezza
23-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Yeah Dan, a few of us have been wondering about this..... :dozey: how did you do it.... :headsc: ?

Hmm,

I have been grilling both Dan and Ian about this .. I will say that this is likely to involve:

heat gun, difficult clips, loadsa swearing and numb fingertips from the struggle, a screwdriver, and then heatgun again to reseal :-)

Dan and Ian can fill you in on the rest :)

Big Ian
23-12-2004, 04:14 PM
try these for clear corner's (second link is for JDM head light's..UK)
http://www.thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19230

JDM light's.:D
http://www.thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32897

Dan_G
23-12-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm sure I posted a reply earlier put its not here :headsc:

hmm

yeah. anyway. Read Ians second link........ thats how I did it.... once I had the front lens off I discovered a small screw, it holds on the orange lense and the reflector..... just unscrew and remove the orange lense....then rescrew in to retain the reflector...... easy peasy.....

and then get some silver/amber bulbs.......

of course, if you can be bothered to take apart your lights is a different story :p

I was in there doing my angel eyes when I noticed how easy it was to 'de-orange'..... so I did ;)

Dan