PDA

View Full Version : Buying a VR4?

Big Ian
15-12-2004, 02:00 AM
i'm taking the plunge next june.....as i'm (all going well?) keeping my GLS for running about in...do i look for a late model with high'ish mile's or do i look for an older one with low mile's?
i'll be looking at one's in the range of £6500,i'd prefer to buy from a garage (warranty) unless i see a fair priced one for cash,that leaves me with enough cash to purchase a red stripe warranty myself?
to be honest i'd rather buy a standard VR4 and enjoy it that way,as i'd only be using it "every other day" (not for work or shopping)
i know i'm being a wee bit early in asking such question's...but you never know,i might .......ehh i mean my wife might let me buy one sooner?
also it'll have to be a saloon.

ritch_w
15-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Given your reasons for getting a VR4 - go for the older low mileage minter - more choice in the price range

Thats what i would have probably done if i didnt do so many miles / have to have a newish car for the works car allowance scheme.

then again a newer high miler should be just as good as long as it has a FSH etc

suppose it just depends what available when you have the ££££- both would fit the bill!!!!

Roadrunner
15-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Depends on the miles you expect to put on it each year (driving a VR-4 is fairly addictive though :) ). If a Red Zebra warranty is important to you, you need to know that they won't touch a car that shows more than 100k on the odometer (doesn't matter to them whether that's miles or kilometres :rolleyes: ). So, if you expect to do a lot of miles during your ownership of the car, maybe better to go for a low mileage one.

Pre- or post-facelift is a matter of personal preference, I guess. I actually prefer the pre-facelift front bumper, but like the extended arches of the car I have. I'm not a fan of leather seats, so the Recaros on mine are what really sold me on the car (and they are excellent) - I don't think they're available on the pre-facelift cars. I guess things like bumpers and seats can be changed, but it depends how much work you want to do on it.

Best of luck!

Brian

Big Ian
15-12-2004, 10:05 AM
if i bought a VR4 and took a R-Z warranty,and during my ownership,would they carry on with cover if i took the car past 100,000 mile's or would the cancel any claim's i make past 100,000?

RED
15-12-2004, 10:45 AM
got my V reg abit cheaper because of the high mileage which in these days of service histories I don't consider the high mileage to be a bad thing and because I only do a fist full of miles in a week (it's taken me 9 months to do 4000 miles) hopefully if I ever came to sell her then the mileage won't seem or be to high by then - if you see what I mean :) Good idea keeping the GLS for doing the main running around in but I bet it won't last :p you'll not be able to keep your bum off the seat of your VR4 :laugh:

Physician
15-12-2004, 01:19 PM
I also think it's a good idea to keep your present car as the general run-around. From what I've seen it's a really nice car and well looked after along with all the work you've done on it - I can understand your not wanting to sell it.

However, having two cars may not be the most economical solution .......... but that may not be an issue for you. Insurance x 2, MOT x 2, Tax x 2, Servicing x 2 etc etc.

How much is the present one worth on the market? (Rhetorical)

Given any personal reasons for keeping the present car ........ if you sold it, you could increase the amount you could pay for a VR4 and have funds available for Red Zebra etc etc. (and fuel for a week :sad3: )

Personally I would look for a saloon around the 35,000/40,000 mile mark with a complete HISTORY. Given some time I think you should be able to find one/negotiate at this mileage for around £7000/£7,500.

You could also point out to your wife that starting to look NOW will allow HER to make a decision for YOU to spend YOUR money to buy a really good example if one should become available over the next few months. :-D

Big Ian
15-12-2004, 01:34 PM
i hold 2 insurance policy's just now,ive had a 2nd policy for a few year's as ive alway's bought,fixed and then sold other small car's..unless i get the odd bargain like the astra i picked up the other week,i'll hold on to it for a few month then sell it on and pick up another.

Big Ian
15-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Ritch,what can you tell me about the VR4 in Calder's?

ritch_w
15-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Ritch,what can you tell me about the VR4 in Calder's?

Ian see this thread.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6219
the guy that posted it test drove the legnum.
apparently it has no history - although he was told it did have.
could be iffy or could be genuine - dont know

all i can say is if it has no history stay well clear, might be worth a test drive tho :)

Spirit
15-12-2004, 09:48 PM
If you're gonna buy a pre-facelift you will undoubtedly get no history from Japan - so if you buy it straight from the ship you have to take a chance anyhow. Of course if you get a UK post-facelift you should find one with a FSH but of course this is gonna cost you more unless it's a high miler.

You've got six months to buy one mate, take your time and consider an RAC/AA inspection too.

zedy1
15-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Ian just buy one as I have 3 engines and 4 auto gearboxes :p

i think the next few weeks are good to buy as you will get a better deal

Big Ian
16-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Ian just buy one as I have 3 engines and 4 auto gearboxes :p

i think the next few weeks are good to buy as you will get a better deal

:sad3: I wish it was that easy Zedy!!
i'm going to phone calder's and see what i can find out about the legnum they have,but i'd prefer a saloon ;) .this way though i can maybe get a test drive and ask about the chance of them finding a saloon (with history) :D
also the wife still say's i should wait till the end of May?...we'll see ;)

Big Ian
16-12-2004, 12:38 PM
here's calder's link...also i can't see a Legnum or a VR4 on it? (i'm now phone'n them)
http://www.caldermotor.co.uk/

Big Ian
16-12-2004, 12:49 PM
they have 1 Legnum..
i spoke to a very nice Gentleman,the car is being sold for a customer,it came from Aberdeen,it's a Gen-Ralliart car,no history?..just had a main Mitsy service,40.000'ish mile's,99-T,cream leather,usual extra's,silver,grey colour?..£9000,no trade in will be taken un-less it suit's the seller?
:sad3: to rich for me at the moment.

ritch_w
16-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Its alot of money for a car with no history - especially a ralliart car.

what you could try is - note the chassis and reg number, and ask a Mitsu dealer if they are able to verify the history????

If it does have a history, and the seller doesnt - that could be a very strong leverage tool!!!

but then again - its one of them common estates ;) - oops wrong thread!!! only joking - i likes a legnum :D

Big Ian
16-12-2004, 02:17 PM
:sad3: £9.000,Legnum not for me...i'll stick to our plan.......maybe :laugh:
i'll keep my eye's peeled and see what come's along.