PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bodykit

wintertidenz
15-04-2012, 07:34 AM
I've been looking for a while for a decent condition bumper as the front bumper just catches on everything and it's stuffed. The passenger's side skirt also needed work, as a previous owner had damaged the original and painted straight over the top of a green one - and the paint cracked on it.

So the other day I found a deal that was quite good - a bodykit for less than the price of a bumper from the wrecker - the bodykit needs prepping and painting, but I would need to repaint the bumper from a wrecker anyway, as they can't guarantee the paint condition and colour.

This is how I got the kit:

I started off with sanding it down with 240 grit - there are some small spots that need to be fixed up, I'm thinking that filler primer will do the job for the small spots.
The rear bumper pieces need a fair bit of work around where the screws attach - but a Dremel will fix that :P

This is how I left it after today.

I sprayed the bumper with one coat of primer from a spraycan, and once dry wet sanded with about 400 grit to identify any spots that need filling. Most of the bumper is good - the primer from the can was more of the issue. I'm trying to borrow a friend's air compressor and spray gun so I can do it more evenly, as an entire can went on that first coat.

Side skirt with the door trim piece - I tried a different primer on the door trim piece to see how the colour would match with my car. It'll get sanded off sometime this week when I get some time.

Gly
15-04-2012, 08:48 AM
ok so you have problems with the stock body kit catching???

so you've bought a lower fibreglass kit???

always thought the "crux kit" looked good... but ive grown older and wiser??? :D to boy racer for me now LOL.

good luck with the DIY painting, keep us updated.

wintertidenz
15-04-2012, 09:06 AM
The stock bumper I have has been extensively damaged from when the car was lowered by previous owners. I can't even park slightly over a kerb without it catching and ripping off. The car is now standard height as well.

This kit seems to be able to clear it - admittedly I didn't like the kit at first when I bought it, but it's growing on me slowly :P it looks better in white IMO.

This picture is what is slowly turning me towards liking it: http://www.modifiedcars.com/pix/cars_high/18613_14322.jpg

And the sideskirts - I know they are on a Galant, but still: http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3931/41/22325020036_large.jpg

thfelipeth
16-04-2012, 02:28 PM
The stock bumper I have has been extensively damaged from when the car was lowered by previous owners. I can't even park slightly over a kerb without it catching and ripping off. The car is now standard height as well.

This kit seems to be able to clear it - admittedly I didn't like the kit at first when I bought it, but it's growing on me slowly :P it looks better in white IMO.

This picture is what is slowly turning me towards liking it: http://www.modifiedcars.com/pix/cars_high/18613_14322.jpg

And the sideskirts - I know they are on a Galant, but still: http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3931/41/22325020036_large.jpg the rear bumper on the second pic looks awesome to me.. anyway, good luck with the rest of the paint job. looking good ;)

wintertidenz
06-05-2012, 02:16 AM
So I did some more work on the bodykit yesterday.

I cleaned it down with degreaser, and ended up using two full cans of filler primer on the bumper, side skirts and door additions:

There are some paint runs that I need to sand off and some spots that need to be filled, but the entire kit now has 2-3 layers of primer on it.

Over the next week or two I'll organise a spray gun and hit it all with one more coat of primer, then start on paint and see how I go from there.

wintertidenz
13-05-2012, 07:00 AM
I got around to test fitting the bumper yesterday. Initially I was quite worried as there was a huge gap under the lights:

Once I made two small holes and used cable ties to mount it higher it worked out better, but I may need to do some fabrication on the passenger's side to get the gaps matched up just right:

I think the bumper actually uses the bolts from the headlights to attach, rather than the spot that I used for the grill clips.

I also need to get a piece of meshing to block off easy access to the bonnet clips as well, otherwise I think I will end up granting thieves easy access to get under the bonnet to the alarm.

The side skirt was also going to be fitted as a test, but I got distracted by the amount of oil leaking out of the front spark plug holes, so I took the rocker cover off and gave it a complete clean and resealed the cover and spark plug holes with some gasket maker to prevent leaks - I'll replace all the seals once I replace the cambelt.

Nick Mann
13-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I've always had a soft spot for the crux kit, although I no longer want one. I guess I'm similar to Carsten in that respect! This was the car that made me start to lust after it...

scott.mohekey
13-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Did Quinten make this kit?

aboo
13-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Never been a fan of this kit to be honest. I'm sure the front bumper would be good for a IC but it looks like it belongs on a car from film Cars.

Ryan
13-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Ja, not a fan either I'm afraid.

horndog
13-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I like it, not sure Id have it myself - but different is good

kNuTz
14-05-2012, 12:33 AM
I like this kit but in two minds about it myself as I do like the PFL bumper as it is...also living in Wellington I can see that bumper getting a few cracks on driveways, etc.

wintertidenz
14-05-2012, 08:24 AM
I would have honestly preferred to get a FL bumper, but finding one in good nick with fog lights would cost me a lot more than getting this kit sorted. It's slowly growing on me, and I think it will look good once the paint is done and the car is detailed. The only downfall is that my fiance is now driving the Legnum (I'm doing up to 100km a day and I'd prefer not to do that on the Legnum!) and with the kit she will get more police attention.
The kit also came with rear bumper pieces that look more like they are FL ones than the Crux kit.

Quinten didn't make this kit as far as I'm aware - and test fitting the bumper again this evening everything actually lined up this time.

And that rear "under spoiler" looks hideous.

SEAN-NZ
14-05-2012, 09:00 AM
i like the side skirts and back bumper, the thing on the tailgate is ugly though

crazyken76
15-05-2012, 09:11 PM
its a nice kit but think bumper is to rounded for the style of the vr4 i like the one i have on my coty better :)

CANDEE
15-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Dan you might have been able to persuade me to part with my FL spots if you had asked nicely... lol

wintertidenz
16-05-2012, 04:07 AM
The problem was finding a FL bumper in good nick Jeremy :P

Badger_01
16-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Is this the kit?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/legnum/auction-472193334.htm

wintertidenz
16-05-2012, 05:30 AM
That's the kit. If you google for "Legnum Crux bumper" you will find a site called modified-cars.com that has some real decent pictures up on there.

SEAN-NZ
16-05-2012, 09:53 AM
the car looks too happy haha

wintertidenz
16-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Should I put some of these on then too?

http://carlashes.com/

Oggie
16-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Should I put some of these on then too?

http://carlashes.com/

thats one way of makign a legnum look ghey opps i mean gurly.

wintertidenz
17-05-2012, 07:24 AM
It makes any car look stupid... I saw some Mazda people mover the other day with these and almost drove off the road because I was pissing myself laughing.

Scanny
18-05-2012, 07:45 PM
i like the rear bumper and skirts but i really dont like the front bumper. looks like marshmallow man from ghostbusters, especially in white. i am a fan of the standard FL bumper so i will be stealing that and the skirts off my legnum to put on the PFL VR4 that i hope to buy in a few weeks