PDA

View Full Version : Fancyplate.com: number plates

Brind
07-07-2003, 08:27 PM
I'm looking at getting some decent plates since my rear plate is slightly faded.

I prefer the look of the bottom plate with the GB at the beginning, what do you guys think?

Also does anyone know if the UK bit can be displayed in black rather than the usual blue?

INSERT INTO post VALUES (This is not my real plate)

Spirit
07-07-2003, 09:23 PM
I have looked at these several times over the last few months and I could never decide on a UK, GB or Mitsy logo at the front or on which colour to have it so I have not done it yet.

I do not know if you can have it in any colour Brind but I assume you can as it's not part of the lettering - would suggest emailing or calling them to check first.

Brind
07-07-2003, 10:02 PM
I've used legal UK fonts and I've spaced them correctly.

The GB symbol should be the same size as the legal symbol albeit in black, so the spacing should stay correct..

Other symbols are illegal, I guess the Mitsubishi logo is illegal then.

Background designs, I assume they mean the ones that have ghosted logos.

My rear plate is a stick on.. well it has no screws through it but I assume again they mean the sticker types..

Good 'ol British laws. :rolleyes:

I'll send them an email and see if they can confuse me further.

Is it legal to display the Euro-symbol?

It is for the courts to interpret the law but the current regulations do not provide for the display of the Euro-symbol. In most cases, the size and spacing of the characters would have to be reduced, and the plate would then be illegal.

Are there plans to make the Euro-plate compulsory?

No, it is optional. The provision is being introduced because the European Council issued a regulation in November 1998 requiring Member States to recognise the Euro-symbol on number plates in place of the traditional oval shaped national identifier sticker for travel within the European Union. It is for individual motorists to decide if they wish to use the new Euro-plate.

What is the effect of the Euro-plate on UK registered vehicles?

UK vehicles travelling in the European Union may still display the traditional oval “GB” sticker. Alternatively number plates incorporating the Euro-symbol may be used instead of the oval sticker. The oval national identifier sticker would still be required for vehicles on journeys outside the European Union.

Can other symbols INSERT INTO post VALUES (e.g. national flag, football team crest) be used on number plates?

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and symbols on vehicle number plates. The Road Vehicles INSERT INTO post VALUES (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 are in the process of being amended and should be in place by the end of 2002. They will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.

Do I have to change my number plate if it is cracked or broken?

If the number plate is damaged in such a way that it makes the registration mark difficult to read it does need to be replaced.

If I need to replace one of my plates, do I need to change both?

No, you only need to replace the damaged number plate.

Are 3D characters allowed?

Yes, 3D characters are permitted providing they meet all the other requirements.

Is a honeycombed or other background pattern permitted?

No, overprinting including honeycomb or other background designs are not allowed.

Are stick-on number plates legal?

No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.

Ailsa
08-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Thought you might find this site useful for playing with number plate idea's.

GTGrafix (http://www.gtgrafix.com/newOrders/gtPlateBuilder.htm)

Haven't bought from them - don't know anyone who has so can't recommend them - But there site is quite cool.

peterernest
29-10-2003, 02:23 PM
For those who might be mildly interested.

http://www.malplates.co.uk/law.html