PDA

View Full Version : Help with openport 2.0 and evoscan please

Louis
17-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi.
I have bought a tactrix openport cable and I have various versions of Evoscan, (2.1 2.5 2.6 2.7 &2.9), I just got the cable this week, and can't actuate anything or read fault codes.
I have tried various settings on evoscan, (mutII, OBDII, etc), and tried different versions of evoscan to try and connect, but no joy as yet!.
Can someone, tell me what version of evoscan I should be using with an openport 2.0 cable, and what settings to set evoscan to to get them working please.
When I connect the cable to the OBDII port in the car, I dont get any flashing lights on the dash!.
I have noticed that there are small led's in the OBDII connector part of the 2.o Cable, (clear plastic), and they seem to be steadily cycling through Blue, Green, Red (from left to right constantly.
Main thing I would like to know is:, Have I bought a duff cable?.
Do I require different or additional software (ecuflash?, ECUEDIT,) to get them working?, I only have evoscan at the moment.
Any info or pointer would be most appreciated, :)
Cable has Tactrix inc PoenPort 2.0 Rev E sticker on it.

foxdie
17-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Louis, firstly, have you read this thread?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?62096-ecuFlash-1-43-3252

Might be some tips in there to help.

Ps. Lights will only flash when you try and actually connect, just having the cable plugged into the OBD-II port won't trigger diagnostic mode.

Louis
17-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi Jason, I have scanned through and am reading it just now, but a quick question, do I need to install ECUflash to get them talking to each other.
I am just starting with this, I had been using a VAG cable with the 1 - 4 pins earthed together, and I could laog runs, but not read or clear DTC's.
I mainly want to use this set up for checking fault codes and bleeding the AYC, not flashing the ecu at the moment, I did get the flash cable which I have not connected.

foxdie
17-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Okay, quick few bullet points;

Device Setup wants to be set to "OpenPort 2.0" at the top left, with "Mitsubishi MUTIII" ticked
Select ECU (top left) and Select DTC Method (bottom right) should always be the same, change both at the same time
"Disable Mitsubishi Dashboard Flashing Lights" is unchecked in the Logging menu
Latest version of EcuFlash is installed to have latest firmware drivers installed for OpenPort 2.0

When you're testing, make sure your ignition is on (doesn't matter if engine is started or not), and that any switches / mods to bridge pin 1 to 4 is disabled / removed.

Also, be aware that sometimes connecting to the AYC ECU to read DTCs or activating actuators can be temperamental until you've actually logged live values first :)

Louis
17-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Top left corner of evoscan panel says:
Baudrate 15625
Timeout ms 1000
openport 2.0 (J2534/CAN/ExoX) selected
Mitsubishi MUTIII (3) selected
Select ECU: EFI
and on the lower part of the evoscan window
Select DTC Method/ECU: MUTII EFI.

When I try to read DTC's I get:
In the event log window:
Info: Attempt Baudrate MMC.
Info: Unable to load DLL 'op20pt32.DLL': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
Info: Check DTC's Complete.

In lower Diagnostic Trouble codes Window I get:
Unable to load DLL 'op20pt32.DLL': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

???

Louis
17-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Latest version of EcuFlash is installed to have latest firmware drivers installed for OpenPort 2.0

Right, I don't have any version of ECUFLash and I didn't get any drivers with the cable!.

Can I download these from Limitless??

foxdie
17-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Right, try this;

Disconnect the OpenPort from your computer
Completely uninstall EvoScan
Delete the folder EvoScan creates in My Documents or wherever (back it up if you wanna keep logs etc)
Download and install the latest version from EvoScan.com here: http://www.evoscan.com/downloads/EvoScanv2.9.0019.zip
Do NOT connect the OpenPort 2.x at this point
Download and install the latest version of EcuFlash from here: http://www.evoscan.com/ecuflash/ecuflash_1433252_win.exe
Run EcuFlash and then connect your OpenPort 2.0 cable
If prompted by Windows, allow all the drivers to be installed for both the 2.0 and 1.3 cables
In EcuFlash, go to the Help -> Licensing menu, this should check the firmware of the OpenPort 2.0 and update it as required
Close EcuFlash and try EvoScan again

Louis
17-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Right, will do that now!

Louis
17-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Hmm, Just before I remove all the versions of Evoscan I have on the laptop, (not sure if I will be able to down load older versions that the latest 2.9), I have found a file which is drivers for openport 2.0 cable in my evoscan 2.9 folder, so I have attached the cable to the laptop (not the car), and am installing the drivers when prompted.OK, it says drivers are installed and that my new device is ready to use!!.
I will go back out to the car and see if there is any difference. ( was not sure whether to use the drivers or not, but will give it a go before I remove all and start from scratch!

Louis
17-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Right after installing the drivers, (or rather showing the laptop where to find them in the folders), I opened Evoscan 2.9 and I reconnected the 2.0 cable (it asked re drivers again, so I selected and it found them).

I selected MutIII, EFI, and lower right, MutII EFI

I connected to the car, and I got a connection. I checked for DTC's and I got the following:
Intake Temperature Sensor (13)
Throttle Position Sensor (14)
Engine coolant temperature sensor (21)
Camshaft position sensor (23)
Vehicle speed sensor (24)
Barometric pressure sensor (25)

Also managed to log an engine tick over and rev with selected tick box options.
Dash only flashes when connecting to ECU.

I tried selecting AYC and MUTII AYC, but could not connect to ECU, could this be because I need to disconnect Pin 9??, (where is the best place to disconnect pin 9, in the openport plastic see through bit??, or use the openport OBDII extension and disconnect it there somewhere (sealed cable ends))

I will download the other software you have mentioned (Ecuflash).

Ta very much for assistance so far, :)

foxdie
17-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Just so you know, EvoScan reading EFI (engine) ECU fault codes is notoriously broken however clearing fault codes is fine, do the paperclip trick to get the actual fault codes ;)

DO NOT disconnect Pin 9 from an OpenPort 2.0, that is only done on 1.3U cables.

If you can't log AYC, that is probably a bug with EvoScan not properly initing the ECU, it won't be the OpenPort if you can connect to other ECUs. It could be a wiring problem or worst case it's the AYC ECU. Does AYC function normally?

Louis
17-04-2012, 06:25 PM
yes all functioning ok.
Car is 1998 pre facelift
I have been trying to use ecuflash, but I can't get it to connect to the ecu.
I click on the read from ecu icon I get "interface close"

Am I missing something (again lol)?

Should I download an earlier version??

Louis
17-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Do I need the mini jacl and flash connector connected to the car and the Openport 2.0 cable when trying to read the ECU?.
Also I did not see an option for 7201 on the list of which ECU to read, it came up with 7203 and 7202 and 7202F as options?

Davezj
17-04-2012, 07:06 PM
ecuflash does not read 7201 at the moment.
you need MMC something or other.

to read ecu you have to have the reflash connector fitted.

jason will be cback to fill you in.

Louis
17-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Right, I have the cable and all the additional bits. (flash connector minijack to white connector, 2 x small connectors, for mitsubishi and Subaru, An OBDII extension cable, mini USB to USB connector and the Openport 2.0 unit itself)
I have Evoscan 2.9
I have the latest version of ECUflash.

BUT,
I can't find an option on the ecu read menu in ecuflash for a 7201 ecu, so I can't read the ecu!.
In Evoscan I can't connect to any other ECU, like ABS aor AYC or ACD!
At the moment the only thing it will do is log info, like a run.
But, I can do this already with the VAG cable I have!.

What am I missing?, or do I have the wrong car for this cable lol ;)

(thanks to Jason so far for info),
Any input appreciated.

foxdie
17-04-2012, 07:47 PM
ecuflash does not read 7201 at the moment.
you need MMC something or other.

Answered in question 4 of the Common tuning FAQ (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?62831-Common-tuning-FAQ) ;)

Louis
17-04-2012, 08:58 PM
I have checked the link to common tuning facts, but it is all about flashing! no answer to my questions!

As far as I know I the have a 7201 ecu. (My old Legnum was a 7201, I will check, but what I want to do is minimal so it would be more accessible if I had a 7202 or a 7203)
I have NO intention of flashing the ECU, I did not get the cable to flash the ECU.

I got the cable so I could do more than the VAG cable that I have (pin 1 and 4 connected to ground out pin 1)
With the VAG cable I can log runs, and play them back using Evoscan.

I read a few posts an here and thought that the Openport 2.0 would allow me to:
Log read and clear fault codes and access the other ecu's to read and clear fault codes, and to activate the Ayc pump and solenoids etc for bleeding the AYC
and also possibly download info from the ECU.

I am probably missing something simple, but at the moment I can log a run (like the VAG cable). I can bring up fault codes as mentioned in the post further up, but the answer back is strange (confusing)
Quote "Just so you know, EvoScan reading EFI (engine) ECU fault codes is notoriously broken however clearing fault codes is fine, do the paperclip trick to get the actual fault codes"
I don't need a 2.0 cable for this then, as it (or it and or evoscan) is unreliable?

I now have ECUflash but the "read rom list " doesn't have 7201 on it!! (I did not have the flash part, cable plugged in as I thought it was for flashing only!) I saw Dave's post and will try again with it connected when the laptop battery is charged up again).

Also at the mo I can only access the EFI ecu. I cannot get anything (fault codes or activate actuators etc from anything else (AYC, ABS, or ACD)
So no big gains at the moment!!, again any info or guidance welcomed :)

Quote "If you can't log AYC, that is probably a bug with EvoScan not properly initing the ECU, it won't be the OpenPort if you can connect to other ECUs. It could be a wiring problem or worst case it's the AYC ECU. Does AYC function normally?"
Can only access EFI ecu, no others, so I don't think it's my ATC ecu. and AYC is working fine.

BraindG
24-05-2012, 11:02 PM
erm, stupid question time...

what do i need to connect evoscan to car? tactrix openport? - i see on ebay its like 130 odd quid?! - i just bought evoscan software, bollocks didnt realise the connection cable was so expensive!

BCX
24-05-2012, 11:23 PM
erm, stupid question time...

what do i need to connect evoscan to car? tactrix openport? - i see on ebay its like 130 odd quid?! - i just bought evoscan software, bollocks didnt realise the connection cable was so expensive!

are you looking at reflashing?

if so, openport 2.0 is your best bet.

If you just want to log - get hold of a vag cable and mod it (earth pin 1 to chassis or pin 4 in obd connector)

BCX
24-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I have checked the link to common tuning facts, but it is all about flashing! no answer to my questions!

As far as I know I the have a 7201 ecu. (My old Legnum was a 7201, I will check, but what I want to do is minimal so it would be more accessible if I had a 7202 or a 7203)
I have NO intention of flashing the ECU, I did not get the cable to flash the ECU.

I got the cable so I could do more than the VAG cable that I have (pin 1 and 4 connected to ground out pin 1)
With the VAG cable I can log runs, and play them back using Evoscan.

Vagcom cable allows for two way communication, i've been using my vagcom cable for clearing fault codes, activating acutators, etc.

I read a few posts an here and thought that the Openport 2.0 would allow me to:
Log read and clear fault codes and access the other ecu's to read and clear fault codes, and to activate the Ayc pump and solenoids etc for bleeding the AYC
and also possibly download info from the ECU.

I am probably missing something simple, but at the moment I can log a run (like the VAG cable). I can bring up fault codes as mentioned in the post further up, but the answer back is strange (confusing)

7201 ecus in my experience always bring up these codes. Shtiv has mentioned this too.

Quote "Just so you know, EvoScan reading EFI (engine) ECU fault codes is notoriously broken however clearing fault codes is fine, do the paperclip trick to get the actual fault codes"
I don't need a 2.0 cable for this then, as it (or it and or evoscan) is unreliable?

its crap. i created my own tool that does heaps more than evoscan in terms of acutators and fualt codes. i'll eventually post it up once i clean it up.

I now have ECUflash but the "read rom list " doesn't have 7201 on it!! (I did not have the flash part, cable plugged in as I thought it was for flashing only!) I saw Dave's post and will try again with it connected when the laptop battery is charged up again).

ecuflash cant reflash a 7201 -thats why it's not in the list. you'll need MMCflash for that. If your not interested in reflashing, i wouldnt be worrying about ecuflash support.

Also at the mo I can only access the EFI ecu. I cannot get anything (fault codes or activate actuators etc from anything else (AYC, ABS, or ACD)
So no big gains at the moment!!, again any info or guidance welcomed :)

Quote "If you can't log AYC, that is probably a bug with EvoScan not properly initing the ECU, it won't be the OpenPort if you can connect to other ECUs. It could be a wiring problem or worst case it's the AYC ECU. Does AYC function normally?"
Can only access EFI ecu, no others, so I don't think it's my ATC ecu. and AYC is working fine.

not sure whats going on here, but you should be able to play with acutators, codes with either cable. evoscan is just buggy in my expeience.

hope this helps

Louis
25-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I dont want to reflash.
I would like to log runs.
I would like to read fault codes and clear them.
I really want to be able to activate AYC for bleeding system when servicing.

I can activate rad fans and injectors individually. I have also been able to activate ABS on each wheel.
But not able to activate AYC?.
Ayc operates fine and does all
It should.
At the moment the tactrix 2.0 cable i bought does nothing the VAG cable cant do!!!.
So its good for reflashing if you have the right ecu, but not worth getting otherwise??.
Am i missing something??,
Cheers Louis

BCX
25-05-2012, 12:23 AM
At the moment the tactrix 2.0 cable i bought does nothing the VAG cable cant do!!!.
So its good for reflashing if you have the right ecu, but not worth getting otherwise??.
Am i missing something??

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're right. For the VR4 and majority of older Mitsubishis, there wont be any difference between the VAG/openport1.3 and Openport 2.0 if your not interested in reflashing.

At the end of the day, the Openport is a better cable - it would be compatible with more software as it complies with SAE standards, and will work with various other makes of car as it supports a lot of different protocols. Drivers are also better, the FTDI drivers are a bit of a pain sometimes if you dont have the right ones, etc. The drivers for the openport are more solid as they need to comply with SAE J2534

the VAG cable will only work on cars that use ISO9141 to communicate (Older mitsubishi's, VW, older fords?)

BraindG
28-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Right, i received my VAG Cable today, I ran through Jason's fixes but i cannot get ecuflash to see my cable - I do have a 7201 (metal case, green plugs) but if i understand right, it should still be able to log - which is all im wanting to do...

Do i have to do this pin mod to the cable to make it log/show up on ecuflash? - i think the drivers are installed right, if i go to device manage and com3 i see under properties taxtrix..

Ta

foxdie
28-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Barry, can you tell me exactly what cable you've got? Including the revision as printed on the rear?

BraindG
28-05-2012, 08:46 PM
its a VAG KKL RT0001, nothing printed on the cable, was a cheapo of eBay.

foxdie
28-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Right... thought you had an OpenPort 2.0 or something. Here are some quick notes;

* Don't even bother installing EcuFlash or a modern version of EvoScan... only versions 2.7 and below support VAG-COM cables
* You need to either add Pin 1 to the VAG-COM cable (sewing needle good), connecting it to Pin 4, or add a switch between pin 1 and 4 on the diagnostic connector
* If you go on the switch route, you'll need to turn the switch on before you start trying to log
* Set the COM port speed in Windows to as high as it'll go in 8-N-1 (8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit) software flow control, leave EvoScan baud rate alone
* VAG-COM cables only support logging, fault code clearing and actuator control on the Engine ECU only

BraindG
28-05-2012, 08:56 PM
ok, so basically, join pin 1 & 4, uninstall all other software and install evoscan 2.7?

foxdie
28-05-2012, 08:59 PM
ok, so basically, join pin 1 & 4, uninstall all other software and install evoscan 2.7?

That's a good start :)

BraindG
28-05-2012, 09:15 PM
ok, did that - now getting a dll error, asking for ecuflash to be installed? :huh:

The dashboard lights are flashing now, showing the errors.

foxdie
28-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah go ahead and install it if it's asking.

BraindG
28-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Sweet, working now - had to change it to openport 1.3, cheers Jason /grouphug

jjayokocha
17-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Sorry to jump into this thread, got myself evoscan & a vag com cable yesterday & ran into similar problem with 2.9 missing a file but am currently downloading the older 2.7 version.

As for pin 1 & 4, whats the best way of joining these?

BraindG
17-06-2012, 09:07 AM
I just used a bit of wire, I opened up the case that plugs under dash, joined them and. Bish bash bosh.

jjayokocha
17-06-2012, 09:20 AM
now the next question is which is 1 & 4 ha ha

BraindG
17-06-2012, 10:09 AM
It should say on it? If you look at pins?

I'll grab mine in a mo and take photo.

jjayokocha
17-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Not to panic Barry, i spotted the little numbers inside the pins, looks like im gna have to solder a pin from 1 to 4 on the rear as there is no way into the pins other then the solder on the rear so hopefully it works

jjayokocha
17-06-2012, 10:53 AM
well on plugging in the cable to the car im getting the dash flashing so that means the solder & pins worked, so i downgraded my evo scan from 2.9 to 2.7 but when i select datalogging it pops up saying openport 1.3u cable not responding but pc shows it as connected

opened ecu flash aswell but just says no vehicle interface

BraindG
17-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Double check Jasons thread in #26 (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63225-Help-with-openport-2-0-and-evoscan-please&p=704683&viewfull=1#post704683), thats what i followed and got it working.

Edit: dont forget to change it to openport 1.3

jjayokocha
17-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Ye had all that checked & have now removed ecuflash so only have teh evoscan 2.7, muast be somethign to do with the driver for the cable. i got a little cd with it that has a mountain of stuff in it, diff loggers & a usb folder so gna try see if its somethign to do with that

heres a pic of my mod inside the vag cable case to sort out bridging pin 1 & 4, yes it looks a bit rough but the wife is normally doing the soldering for me :( and she was still in bed

BraindG
17-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Did you make sure you using openport 1.3 in the settings?

jjayokocha
17-06-2012, 12:11 PM
settings im using are openport 1.3x, Mitshubishi MUTIII, ECU - EFI, that correct?

BraindG
17-06-2012, 12:19 PM
This is what i have.

jjayokocha
17-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Ye same as what i have, must be somethign to do with the usb driver then. see i have the car parked at the living room window as my wife has a dual core pc hooked up to our big tv for movies n stuff so had the car connected in there so gna dig the laptop out isntead n try.

BraindG
17-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Once you plug it in, you should see it appear in device list, including the driver.

jjayokocha
17-06-2012, 12:41 PM
i did a check there & 2 were showing under ports, but both showing driver provider research in motion, my cable is a vag kkl 409.1 if that makes any difference

finally got the com port sorted number 1 & it said i had to download a driver for it which turned out to be VCDS lite which is a vw software for cars & it was picking up the cable fine, but when i tried to use evo scan 1.3 on version 2.7 it still stays no cable :(