PDA

View Full Version : Which Clutch?!

BraindG
17-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a new clutch, I may stick with what i know and that's a SPEC Stage 2 Clutch, at £480..

Question is, what would others recommend to purchase and/or avoid, based on their VR4 experiences :)

Colin Wiltshire
17-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I'd be interested to find out as well, for when I need to replace mine.

foxdie
17-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I recently bought SAF86's clutch, he has more available, once I've bedded it in I'll let you know what it's like but as for long term wear, I won't be able to comment on that for (hopefully) another couple of years.

psbarham
17-04-2012, 06:40 PM
competion clutch's stage 2, cheap, light and so far very impressed, just make sure you get the flywheel skimmed before fitting it, or it'll become judder central

BraindG
17-04-2012, 06:45 PM
competion clutch's stage 2, cheap, light and so far very impressed, just make sure you get the flywheel skimmed before fitting it, or it'll become judder central

Is that specific requirement to the one you got?

Wodjno
17-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I have also got the Competition Clutch fitted. But also have the lightened fly wheel.
It does Kidder and was quite bad to start with. But this is more because of the fly wheel than the clutch. Happy with it uptown now, but haven't really tested it to the full. But I deffo haven't got any more slippage on cold mornings with the boost at 1.1 bar:thumbup:
Pedal is heavier, bit not real heavy and I haven't found it at all tiresome, even when in traffic. Mrs Wodj drives it more than me at the minute and no complaints from her either. Though she did fill the swear jar a couple of times over while it was still bedding in :D:rolleyes:

Wodj
So thumbs up from me for the Competition Clutch.

PS.. Got it from Ben
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61370

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

BraindG
22-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Bump, how much are these comp clutches? And do they have a lightened flywheel?

need to decide by Friday. Will prob go with spec if no-one suggests otherwise.

Nick Mann
22-04-2012, 10:03 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?61370

Mine isn't going to be fitted for a few weeks though, so no real experience to share for a while.

gareth001
23-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I put an EVO 7-10 Exedy Stage 1 Clutch in mine - happy with it and was put in at the same time as a lightened evo flywheel. I had to use the adapter plate of course from Nick to get it all to fit. This was put on around 8k miles ago - you will need to bed it in for the first 500-1000 miles though. During the end of this 2 or 3 drag type starts will get it fully bedded together. The only thing I have is if I reverse up hill you can certainly smell the clutch - nothing wrong with it, just what you get with an uprated clutch/flywheel.

BraindG
08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
To complete this thread...

As i already had a lightened Spec Flywheel I've gone for the Stage 2 Spec Clutch, including a replacement "friction-plate" for the flywheel.

http://www.specclutch.com/

Stage 2 Clutch - SM802
Friction Plate - SM08FPK (dont buy this one, its the wrong one!!
Flywheel - SM08A

Before.

53288 53289 53290 53291

Soon to be after :)

foxdie
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Shiney :beatnik2:

BraindG
02-06-2012, 10:17 PM
So, at todays NW Meet I was going to do clutch.......

But the friction plate they sent me didnt fit!! /duh /duh

Will send them an email and determine what my options for a replacement are, so uprated clutch back on the shelf for now :end:

BraindG
07-06-2012, 10:08 PM
FYI: at the time I purchased the my old clutch spec were outsourcing the manufacturing of the flywheel to a third party, since then they have started to manufacture them in house.

This is the reason the friction plate was incorrect.

Anyways, for the cost of postage back to the USA, they will swap for free.

Keep tuned for another exciting episode of, will he ever get that clutch in that bloody car!

Wodjno
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Feckin Clutches

J man
15-06-2012, 11:23 AM
My 2 cents i've run an exedy 5 puck clutch kit for the past two years works perfectly and has heaps of grip im running 14psi and can flat shift towing a trailer and it wont slip!!:evil2:

BraindG
15-06-2012, 02:32 PM
New friction plate arrived!

And it's the right fecking size!

BraindG
16-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Just to add to my wee story...

I spoke to Spec regarding my replacement friction plate, on the 11th they stated the following..

We sending to you the correct friction surface but I need to get the exact address to send it. We are covering the total cost of shipping and the part.

On the same day i receive the following text from my bank.

after speaking to the fraud squad at TSB, thye stated it was taken from SPEC!.

I then called my contact, who said he made a mistake and i was liable for the shipping, i was a bit pissed of now.. so i checked my emails and sent the following email and received this response.

Sorry about that the only thing I can do now is offer you a better discount on your next order. I spoke before I had checked with anyone so we had to charge the shipping.

Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:03 AM
To: Paul Amick
Subject: Re: Inv_102541 - Incorrect Friction Plate sent.

Paul,

After getting of the phone I checked the email you sent, as you can see you clearly state that you are covering both part and shipping, this contradicts the telephone conversation we just had.

Please, could you refund the money you took in error yesterday.

Thanks

Barry

as you can imagine, i was really pissed off, so i sent head office the following emaill.

Hi,

I recently purchased a clutch and friction plate through yourselves, unfortunately your engineer incorrectly identified my flywheel and sent out the wrong replacement friction plate.

After discussions I was emailed stating SPEC would cover both the costs of replacement and postage. A couple days ago my bank called me stating money had come out of my account from America, after discussing with them they told me it was from SPEC.

I revied the email I received for spec and it did state I was not to be charged, not only this I was not consulted and therefore did not have, nor still have the funds to account for this money being taken from my account without concent. This in turn means I will incurr bank charges untill payday, which s another 10 days away! - aside from the fact I was informed it would be free I am now being charged on a daily basis for money you took from my account without consent!

I am looking to be reimbursed the money I was promised I would not have to pay.

Please see below for the email chain.

Sorry about that the only thing I can do now is offer you a better discount on your next order. I spoke before I had checked with anyone so we had to charge the shipping.

Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:03 AM
To: Paul Amick
Subject: Re: Inv_102541 - Incorrect Friction Plate sent.

Paul,

After getting of the phone I checked the email you sent, as you can see you clearly state that you are covering both part and shipping, this contradicts the telephone conversation we just had.

Please, could you refund the money you took in error yesterday.

Thanks
Barry

Sent from my iPhone

On 11 Jun 2012, at 17:20, "Paul Amick" <Paul@specclutch.com> wrote:

We sending to you the correct friction surface but I need to get the exact address to send it. We are covering the total cost of shipping and the part.

Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 4:01 PM
To: paul@specclutch.com
Subject: RE: Inv_102541 - Incorrect Friction Plate sent.

one more.

To: paul@specclutch.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 21:58:06 +0000

As requested.

Thanks

To: barrydelder@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:20:34 -0600

Show me a picture of the complete flywheel

Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:43 AM
To: paul@specclutch.com; shipping@specclutch.com
Subject: Inv_102541 - Incorrect Friction Plate sent.

Hi,

I received shipment of the following items mid May.

SM802
SM08FPK

The weekend just past I had the oppertnity to install the clutch, after removing all the parts of the car I set about attaching the new friction plate to my old flywheel, to my dissapointment it was far to small and would not fit, please see attached photos for examples and measurements.

Could you please advise on how you can deal with replacement, bearing in mind i am located in the UK.

Thanks
Barry

Sent from my iPhone

And tonight... i received an email from head office stating..

Dear Customer :

Your credit memo is included in a separate attachment. We have refunded to the credit card that you have on file.

heheheheh! :afro::pimp2:

Wodjno
16-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Nice 1 Barry :thumbup:
If you just roll over, these people will just push you outta the Bed.
Glad u didn't mate. Well done!

Wodj

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2