PDA

View Full Version : front bumper number plate recess cover

Davezj
18-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know if anyone makes one and where can i get them.

i want to relocate the number plate on the front bumper and cut the plastic square away that sits in front of the intercooler.
so i want to get a cover to fill the recess in the bumper to make it look a bit nicer.

they probably don't exist but i thought i would ask.

the only other way would be to do a lot of fibre glassing a filling and i don't want to do that.

adaxo
18-04-2012, 10:20 PM
You could try to source something like that http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n586/kochajj/20110529181-1.jpg
its come from evo

foxdie
18-04-2012, 10:44 PM
I'd be in for one of these Dave :thumbsup:

Davezj
18-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Yes that is the sort of thing i am after, but don't think that will fit a PFL. i might fit a FL as it looks like a standard FL front bumper, but the bit under the infill addon is already raised and filled.

i thought both PFL and FL had this on the front bumper under the number plate.

see post 34 picture

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63187-Detonation-Knock-pre-ignition-removal-reduction&p=697940&viewfull=1#post697940

Ghost_2008
20-04-2012, 06:09 PM
You could always look at electrical ducking or upvc window surrounds, something that could be cut to size as I cant see something like that being available due to its unique nature........ I was considering relocating the number plate but I couldnt figure where to put it, so I cut the lower part of the number plate holder off, I trimmed the off cut to fit into the number plate recess with the curved edge at the top. I trimmed the off cut also to tapper to the bottom edge, so when the number plate was refitted I raised the number ever so slightly but also angles it towards the intercooler, it frees up a little surface area of the cooler but also angles the air towards it rather than just blocking it.....

It give it a nice JDM look and almost factory look, I have seen this typr of thing on skylines and mazda's.

It's a little difficult to describe, I'll try and upload a picture later......

Davezj
20-04-2012, 08:13 PM
picture would be great, and reusing the bit you cut off is a great idea

Ghost_2008
20-04-2012, 09:25 PM

I hope this has worked...... excellent it did.....

If you enlarge the first image you'll see the top of the off cut behing the number plate, it's sprayed black as is the recess.......... mainly because it's too tight to clean properly I would expect would start to look crap pretty soon....... I also lost my tow hook cover so I sprayed that recess as well....... from a few feet away it give a good look I think..........

Bit of a hi-jack but I got a GTR Calsonic intercooler being altered to fit the standard pipework.... which should bring the front end together nicely......

Kryton
20-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I was after the E7 style bumper vent last year & sure it was only about £40 from Mitsubishi brand new. Never got round to ordering it though as my money has been spent elsewhere (on the car, no where else as it zaps all my money /haz)

aboo
20-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes that is the sort of thing i am after, but don't think that will fit a PFL. i might fit a FL as it looks like a standard FL front bumper, but the bit under the infill addon is already raised and filled.

i thought both PFL and FL had this on the front bumper under the number plate.

see post 34 picture

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63187-Detonation-Knock-pre-ignition-removal-reduction&p=697940&viewfull=1#post697940Yes they do Dave. I have toyed with the idea of side mounting my number plate like the Evo's. My thought where to fabricate something out of aluminium, screw it to bumper then screw plate to it.

My thought on filling the number plate recess was shaping a piece of wood, painting it the colour of the car & screwing it in from the back of the bumper.

Humpty's Revenge
20-04-2012, 09:43 PM
The evo 7 number plate mountings are not that dear from mitsubishi Andy?

aboo
20-04-2012, 09:46 PM
The evo 7 number plate mountings are not that dear from mitsubishi Andy?Sure it would need a bit of modification to make it fit though Steve.

Davezj
20-04-2012, 09:58 PM
i have already found some number plate relocation brackets, that's not the problem it is the recess in the bumper that need filling that is causing me concern.

bumper bracket discussed here, post 47.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63187-Detonation-Knock-pre-ignition-removal-reduction/page2&highlight=detonation+knock

aboo
20-04-2012, 10:09 PM
i have already forund some number plate relocation brackets, that's not the problem it is the recess in the bumper that need filling that is causing me concern.

bumper bracket discussed here, post 47.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63187-Detonation-Knock-pre-ignition-removal-reduction/page2&highlight=detonation+knockHaven't looked at that thread for a couple of days Dave & hadn't noticed you guys had been talking about side mounting the plate. Sure I could knock up something cheaper than that./yes

Davezj
20-04-2012, 10:34 PM
yes agree with you on that one andy.

i had a thought andy, what about a normal uk wide plate over the jap plate location, angled downwards that would get it out of the way and still cover the ugly recess.

aboo
20-04-2012, 10:44 PM
yes agree with you on that one andy.

i had a thought andy, what about a normal uk wide plate over the jap plate location, angled downwards that would get it out of the way and still cover the ugly recess.Not for me sorry. You get the normal UK plates on the V6's & they just don't look right to me. Even the UK plate on the EVo X side mounted doesn't look right. I would rather have the square plate side mounted.

I have a bit of work to do on the car this weekend if the weather stay's dry to get it ready for it's MOT. I may try & mock something up. If I do I'll take some pics.

Davezj
20-04-2012, 10:55 PM
the jap plate at the side does look nice but it may cover the side vent and fog light.
then you still have to cut the bumper fil it replace the lower grill.

however the use a wood insert to cover the recess might be a good option as it is easily formed. it will never fill the recess completely and seemlessly with out lots of filler.
but i think if you leave a uniform gap between the recess edge and the wooden filler piece , maybe 3mm gap on the left, top, right hand sides it could look quite nice.

aboo
20-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Covering the fog light & vent is my only concern. I'm sure we can go a little bit smaller with the Jap plate & still be legal. The wood infill is not a problem cause my mate has a joinery workshop that I can use any time or get him to make it for me.

adaxo
20-04-2012, 11:06 PM
He He, just not end up like this :iloveyou:

aboo
20-04-2012, 11:13 PM
He He, just not end up like this :iloveyou:

52910Wooden roll cage now there's an idea:p

wintertidenz
22-04-2012, 08:23 AM
I could probably make a mould for one out of fibreglass once I take my bumper off.

foxdie
02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Bump! Any further thoughts / progress?

aboo
02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
I still need to do the work I was going to do on my car 2 weekends ago but I will be doing it this weekend cause MOT is due on the 12th. So I will be looking at the number plate then./yes

Davezj
02-05-2012, 07:46 PM
i am going to do the UK plate route and have it angled down towards the intercooler.
number plate will align to the top of the bumper so it does not alter the air flow to the upper grill.

the existing number plate backer which is part of the bumper, will be cut away flush to the bottom of the bumper opening to expose more of the intercooler, and change the lower grill for a mesh, as the exist one is the wrong shape now.
the number plate will cover the existing bumper recess and the exitsting holes used to mount the jap number plate will be used to locate the brackets for the UK sized number plate.

not done it yet as i will probably do it when i fit my new intercooler and i have not got that yet, still deciding what size to get.

jjayokocha
04-07-2012, 09:16 PM
You could try to source something like that http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n586/kochajj/20110529181-1.jpg
its come from evo

Ooooh where do i find myself one of these? i was gna cut up an old sqaure number plate to try hide the gap but this looks perfect.

Humpty's Revenge
04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Ooooh where do i find myself one of these? i was gna cut up an old sqaure number plate to try hide the gap but this looks perfect.

Mitsubishi for less than £45

Wodjno
04-07-2012, 09:28 PM
If you've got any old number plates kicking around? Use them to pack the space out. My plate sits on top of 2 previous plates.

I have since trimmed off the excess from the OE plate location moulding. But no Pic :(

jjayokocha
04-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Mitsubishi for less than £45

and does it just bolt into where the number plate used to sit of does it require moulding in?

I have just screwed my plate into the bumper close to the d/s fog light giving the fmic full view of the road ahead

crazydriver81
04-07-2012, 10:01 PM
I went down the route with modifying a FL bumper and relocate the number plate (not 100% finished yet)

1st thing the parts:
Evo 7 front bumper vent - 110 EUR inc VAT from the stealer
Evo 7 front bumper vent bracket (to hold vent in place) - 20 EUR inc VAT from the stealer
Evo 7 number plate holder - 25 EUR inc VAT from the stealer

2nd how to do:
You need to have patience to "weld" plastics. You ned some aluminum mesh and a solder iron/heat gun which has a special tip and can be regulated in temperature
http://www.mk-tools-kunststoffschweissen.de/kunststoffteile-reparatur-risse-und-brueche.html (basic video how it works)

If you need to fill gaps you should have some strips of plastic handy (e.g. pieces of an old bumper - but it MUST be the exact same type of plastic!!!).

You start cutting out the old number plate area, trim it and relocate it, so that it sits smooth nicely with the rest of the bumper. afterwards you can start to "weld" this back in place by using some of the mesh, your heat gun and some of the old bumper to melt and fill the gaps.

However, I would not recommend to do this, unless you have a second bumper where you can try first. I had to spend some xtra money for a second bumper, because I messed with the first one. :uhoh2:

Scanny
14-07-2012, 02:55 PM
cant you guys use a narrower, longer number plate like a standard UK plate? i dont like the number plate covering that much of the intercooler so i will be putting my FL bumper on and getting a standard size uk plate.